Sign in to follow this  
ctiger

Where Did the Planes Go

3 hours ago, HighBypass said:

I'd say no, Christopher. Air travel used to be a privilege, not a right, people were smartly dressed for the occasion, but the airliners themselves didn't pack the pax in like cattle.

Everyone needs a holiday, but whilst it's great to be able to go practically anywhere for that holiday, no one NEEDS to jump on a plane to do so. So destinations and holiday flights to those destinations may very well change.

Well, I respectfully disagree with your statement that you don't need a plane to go on a holiday. Unless you want to confine people to the borders of their countries forever. A holiday is more than frying in the sun and drinking booze. It's an experience for body and mind and an essential thing. I will not give up flying as long as planes are in the sky. 

Hans

30 minutes ago, hjsmuc said:

Unless you want to confine people to the borders of their countries forever.

You do realise that you can actually (well, granted, not at the moment) cross a border by foot, car, rail or boat? 😉

I have travelled up and down Europe, and pretty much never used a plane to do that... In fact, I think that if you don't come to Ireland (from the Continent) by boat, you're "cheating". I get it, what Mark meant - it's more like my cousin and her husband, who regularly took the cheap Ryanair flights for a weekend in [insert city here]. Most of the cities I had visited myself, but when I asked them about some of the sights it mostly boiled down to "had no time for that, but a great meal at X, and we did see suchandsuch from the distance". That kind of short-haul, whistle-stop holiday flying will probably not be back so soon. And good riddance to it!

Cheers

Mallard

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mallard said:

That kind of short-haul, whistle-stop holiday flying will probably not be back so soon

Probably. Having family a "short" 24 hour drive away, not flying will not be an option for me. I would also be disappointed if I'd never make it to see one of my best friends in Australia. Would love to go by ship but who gives me the two months to do that. Also, regarding the short hops for a weekend, I'd rather like to see people not fly from Frankfurt to London for a 3 hour meeting. This should really be history. 

We will see what the mid-term outcome will be. Personally, I would be very unhappy if flying becomes a privilege for the rich again. Right now, the Maldives have banned entry but they are enjoying full occupancy on some islands from guests who arrived by private jet. 

• Like 1

Hans

Of course you will still be able to fly, long-haul routes will still have their pace and demand. You'll probably just have to pay more when fleet sizes reduce.

By the way - flights to Australia from Europe never were very cheap in the first place... (word not allowed, I fondly remember a Qantas flight from Frankfurt to Cairns and back from Brisbane to Frankfurt in their business class. Cost an arm and a leg, but I arrived fresh as a daisy (okay, perhaps a bit sozzled from all the complimentary glasses of bubbly) , thanks to the lounge in Singapore which provided free shower facilites, soap, shampoo, towel and all). Family recently arrived on a half-way affordable flight, but they had to go via Brunei and were cramped in the sardine class all the way - no fun there!

One new thought appears to be leaving the middle seat free on a three-abreast row... Let's see how that pans out

https://www.thejournal.ie/an-idiotic-idea-michael-oleary-says-ryanair-wont-return-to-flying-if-middle-seats-must-be-left-empty-5081704-Apr2020/

Cheers

Mallard

4 hours ago, hjsmuc said:

..I would also be disappointed if I'd never make it to see one of my best friends in Australia. Would love to go by ship but who gives me the two months to do that. Also, regarding the short hops for a weekend, I'd rather like to see people not fly from Frankfurt to London for a 3 hour meeting. This should really be history...

Hans, I never said that it would be fun, I was just making a point. If the world comes to a dystopian future where combating climate change is everything for example, then like you with your friend in Australia, I would never get to see my great aunt who lives in Denver (she's over 90 so my time window is rather short! 😞 ), but it may come to that. Regarding the short hop to a business meeting, I definitely agree with you on that, unless the executives have their own private transport like a small business jet (not on the Maldives run!) so a thundering great 787 doesn't have to get them there.

5 hours ago, hjsmuc said:

A holiday is more than frying in the sun and drinking booze. It's an experience for body and mind and an essential thing...

Hans, I also agree with that statement (we all NEED holidays), but I was alluding to the fact that both our countries (UK and Germany) have some beautiful countryside in which to refresh body and mind.

EDIT: Goodbye Ryanair, It's been nice knowing you! (two abreast with a gap in between would result in a lot less weight being lugged around so the airline would save on fuel and maintenance I reckon..)

Edited by HighBypass
Bloody Ryanair.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

1 hour ago, HighBypass said:

If the world comes to a dystopian future

I sincerely believe that it won't unless we follow the fear mongers who have their own agenda. Mankind can do better than that. Changes, yes. But resigning, never. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hans

An airline starting up again is one thing but what country's will allow it to fly in.  

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Well, who in their right mind nowadays is interested in riding around in an enclosed cylinder full of lovely recirculated Corona for several hours? Especially with the possibility of some guy exercising his god-given right not wear a mask while panting and snorting like a bull ( even if only in your imagination) from a nearby seat. 🙃

Edit: Or, I guess this could be an option. https://www.forbes.com/sites/willhorton1/2020/04/28/passengers-can-now-buy-eight-empty-airline-seats-for-social-distancing/#d3e4f773c32d

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

Edited by HiFlyer

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5