Sign in to follow this  
simtom

MSFS Required Specs

3 hours ago, canadiantree said:

I was wondering if anyone was plannng on getting at least 64 GB of RAM even though ideal settings call for 32? Same question for SSDs, entry level or as fast as possible?

There is a leak showing that the simulator can use more than 16GB but not too close to 32GB RAM. So if you decide to stick with 32GB RAM, there should still be quite some headroom for a future scenery add-on or Bing imagery upgrade. I have the feeling that 24GB RAM could have been the optimal requirement if triple-channel RAM was an option on consumer platforms today.

As for the SSD, we'll have to wait for the NDA to be lifted in order to see how essential storage and I/O speeds will be. A modern AMD platform will open the option to a PCIe 4.0 SSD, though there is still no controller that can take full advantage of the new interface. Entry-level can means lots of things, like SATA TLC, NVME QLC without DRAM and so on. You can choose between a durable but slower SSD, or a faster SSD with slower sustained writes. Nowadays the sweet spot is considered a mid-range NVME SSD, there are quite a few offerings that come close to the speeds of a high-end Samsung drive with much more attractive prices.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

But but they said you do not need internet connection to run MSFS, Why then is connection speed important.

Why do you think?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

But but they said you do not need internet connection to run MSFS, Why then is connection speed important.

It is elementary my dear Watson....

"Important" is not the right word, it is more a matter of reasonableness. How long are you prepared to wait for your terrain data before you fly over it?

It is my rough estimate it will take 24 hrs to download data for 130 x 130 km terrain grid at max resolution at the minimum recommended 5 Mbps.

Do you see the problem?? Assuming you are a very patient fellow you can get by with even lower speed.

Yeah, no internet is needed to run the simulator but you must get the data somehow and only your patience will judge how 'important' the connection speed is.

2 hours ago, michal said:

Yeah, no internet is needed to run the simulator but you must get the data somehow and only your patience will judge how 'important' the connection speed is.

There is an offline mode as well. That will probably look a lot more like XP or P3D. Hopefully still with better textures and autogen tho. 😉

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

10 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

Why do you think?

Yes but when I stated this 6 months ago I got shouted down, in that you will need streaming to get the full experience of MSFS, and I'm still waiting for MS to tell us streaming will be free something that XBOX users do not get without game pass.  

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

On 4/22/2020 at 7:58 AM, Dominique_K said:

I found this comparison useful

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/607/Intel_Core_i7_i7-9800X_vs_Intel_Core_i9_i9-9900K.html

For the sim, the main advantage of the 800X over the 900K seems : 

• Increased memory bandwidth, available to this CPU, helps to avoid memory bottlenecks. It results in improved performance in programs, working with large data sets. It also improves performance to some degree for non-memory bound tasks.

Look at the maximum memory bandwidth 85.3 vs 42.7GB/s ! 

The base frequency is a comfortable 3.8/4.5 MHz. I think that Asobo said something like  FS20 would make a scarcer use of the CPU compared to the GPU anyway. Is the time of overclocking our rigs over ? I would welcome that. 

The X doesn’t carry an integrated graphic chip which makes it cheaper.

PS I checked my Max Memory Bandwidth on my 4770. 25.6 GB/s. Crying now.

Switching to AMD team now, it seems memory bandwidth is not the main factor.

Ryzen 5 3600 has 47.68GB/s vs 43.7GB/s for the "ideal" Ryzen 7 2700x

https://versus.com/fr/amd-ryzen-5-3600-vs-amd-ryzen-7-2700x

I am still trying to figure out how to choose the best CPU...

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

Yes but when I stated this 6 months ago I got shouted down, in that you will need streaming to get the full experience of MSFS, and I'm still waiting for MS to tell us streaming will be free something that XBOX users do not get without game pass.  

Why are you still waiting??? MS/Asobo clearly declared, that you don't need a game pass for streaming or other on-line data.

Edited by ludekbrno

19 minutes ago, Noooch said:

Truth is that the specs give us hints (and I think until proven wrong that the 9800x is a hint) but not more. We don’t know how FS20 will use the hardware, and specially if more cores is better and if CPU overclockability will still be a factor to get a smooth experience.  

So in the doubt I wait. If I couldn’t, I’d go for the best my money could buy as I buy my rig to last at least 7 years.

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I really really think it's in everyone's best interest to wait this out. Unless you're the type to upgrade your PC every 6 months, I'm so ridiculously excited for FS202X that I'm ready to throw whatever money I have then to optimize its performance. And right now we're all just speculating. Microsoft flight simulator specs have always proven to be insufficient with maxed out settings. Until the NDA is lifted & we get some real data point, I think those who upgrade now will just end up being disappointed with the result. New generations of CPUs & GPUs will be released this year. There is bang for buck to be had when they release. We need to be patient, I know it's hard, I'm struggling too, but I really think we need to wait this out 🙂

Edited by canadiantree
  • Like 4

MSFS. Hardware: AMD 5600X @4.0Ghz, Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT AIO, MSI MPG B550i Gaming Edge WiFi mobo, RTX 3080ti 12GB FE GPU , G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB (2x16) DDR4-3600 RAM CL16, PNY XLR8 3030 1 TB SSD (OS + SIM), Crucial P5 1TB M.2 pcie-3 NVMe SSD (data) . Corsair SF750 80+ Platinum PSU, NZXT H200i Mini ITX Tower.  38" LG UltraGear  38GN950-B display. 4x QL120 fans

2 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

It’s already been said that you do not need to subscribe to stream data. And you don’t need streaming to get the full experience, as has been said many times, you can cache an area you want to fly in. Obviously if you have a fast internet connection, you can stream that data on the fly, but even if you don’t, the engine will continually stream data and improve the rendering as the data becomes more complete.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, tweekz said:

There is an offline mode as well. That will probably look a lot more like XP or P3D. Hopefully still with better textures and autogen tho. 😉

There were shots of Seattle in offline mode and if I recall correctly it looked as good as full online mode to me; minus the photogrammetry and real world data of course but top notch in terms of autogen and textures.

• Like 2

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

5 hours ago, Noooch said:

Non mais sans déconner tu compares un 6 coeurs vs un 8 coeurs sachant que les jeux nouvelles génération sont codé pour du 8 coeurs ! 

A l'heure d'aujourd'hui il est patent qu'il faut s'orienter sur une solution AMD 8 coeurs ! 2700x ou 3700x . 

La xbox series X est équipé en amd 8 coeurs également !

désolé si je suis un peu agacé mais ce forum avsim est rempli de bêtises avec des américains impatient de faire une config alors qu'il n'ont même pas la simu en main !

Edited by topatov
  • Like 1

My best content 👇                

spacer.png                              

R7-3800XT // 32Gb@3200 // B550 TUF// NVIDIA 3090 FE // 1TB 980Pro M.2 // Seasonic GOLD GX-850W // Philips OLED 804 // YOKE Honeycombe + Throttle X52 Pro // Windows 10

@topatov Memory bandwidth was the topic here.

And for the 6 vs 8 cores you mentioned, I suggest you see this comparison video.

The big difference will be in tasks like video editing but there is almost no difference in gaming in the main last popular video-games.

Of course maybe MSFS uses them in a different way, this is what we don't know. Like Domkle said, all we've got are hints, so sharing educated guesses can be interesting with the amount of information we have.

Edited by Noooch

2 hours ago, topatov said:

"ce forum avsim est rempli de bêtises avec des américains impatient "

Je ne peux m'empêcher de penser que ce genre de commentaire, et surtout cette référence aux "américains", n'est pas très propice au maintien un bon climat de discussion sur ce forum... Mais bon. Revenons-en aux 8 coeurs 😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

And again, Xbox users only need Xbox Live Gold for multiplayer, not Game Pass. There is a difference. And none of Microsoft’s PC games require Xbox Live Gold for multiplayer.