Sign in to follow this  
simtom

MSFS Required Specs

To be precise, fragmentation still occurs on an SSD. It's just that random read speeds are so much faster that it is not worth performing a defragmentation process and creating so many random writes that would wear down an SSD. At least this used to apply several years ago, today most mid-range and high-end SSDs should be durable enough to withstand defragmentation, but probably not routinely.

@ChaoticBeauty, I’ve never heard of anyone defraggjng SSDs. The wear would be phenomenal given they have a limited number of write operations. A quick fire way to prematurely end the life of one.

I’ve had SSDs in three computers and have never defragged any.

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@ChaoticBeauty, I’ve never heard of anyone defraggjng SSDs. The wear would be phenomenal given they have a limited number of write operations. A quick fire way to prematurely end the life of one.

Several years ago this definitely would be the case, though nowadays SSDs are a lot more durable, and the bigger amount of space definitely helps. But I don't think anyone has tested whether defragmentation would be of any benefit anyway.

In theory there probably would be an improvement but not so much it’s worth the time and effort.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 4/29/2020 at 12:01 PM, Rob_Ainscough said:

I was told privately from someone at Microsoft that a subscription will NOT be required to obtain streaming data.

Encouraging but I will still wait until it is available publicly in writing from official sources or when the product is already out.

Edited by michal

9 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

SSDs do fragment, and you should be doing a optimization pass every once and a while. Windows also does it automatically (but smartly, they're not wasting your writes) if you have system restore enabled.

https://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRealAndCompleteStoryDoesWindowsDefragmentYourSSD.aspx

I do. I also have a Samsung utility that tells me the reliability of the SSD. I run that ocasionally.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, MaVe64 said:

As the article above says, it depends on what the process is. You shouldn't do a full defrag but windows optimization doesn't do a full defrag, it just cleans up important files for running the computer.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, michal said:
On 4/29/2020 at 12:01 PM, Rob_Ainscough said:

I was told privately from someone at Microsoft that a subscription will NOT be required to obtain streaming data.

Encouraging but I will still wait until it is available publicly in writing from official sources or when the product is already out.

Agreed.  "Will not be required" doesn't specify that there will not be any.  While Rob's source implies some form of free access to the streaming data (5 mbps perhaps?), the "ideal 50 mbps" may require an additional fee of some sort.  A total guess of course, but dang, I hope I'm wrong here.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

4 hours ago, TheFamilyMan said:

Agreed.  "Will not be required" doesn't specify that there will not be any.  While Rob's source implies some form of free access to the streaming data (5 mbps perhaps?), the "ideal 50 mbps" may require an additional fee of some sort.  A total guess of course, but dang, I hope I'm wrong here.

You are wrong. Time to let it go.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

Adobo has done such a wonderful job revealing the sim through the Discovery series episodes, but just giving us a table of “minimum, recommended & ideal” hasn’t done much to show the reasoning behind their choices. I’d love to see: “Episode 9 - Specs Explained.”

• Upvote 1

Lyn the trucker

FSX - XP11 - MSFS         Ryzen 5900x - Asus X570 VIII Hero - RTX 4090 - G.SKILL Trident 32 GB DDR4 - WD SN750 M2 1TB + Samsung SSD 250GB - HP Reverb G2 - Win 10/64

1 hour ago, lynthetrucker said:

Adobo has done such a wonderful job revealing the sim through the Discovery series episodes, but just giving us a table of “minimum, recommended & ideal” hasn’t done much to show the reasoning behind their choices. I’d love to see: “Episode 9 - Specs Explained.”

Well you know that if you want to enjoy the sim in 60fps at 4K, you can, with those ideal specs.

That is something isn't it?

2 hours ago, lynthetrucker said:

No one else has to do it so why should they?

• Upvote 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

26 minutes ago, Krakin said:

No one else has to do it so why should they?

Why not? They seem very willing to be open and transparent.

They seem to be taking a lot of pride in their product: why would they not want to help the flight community with making their software run the best it can on the right hardware.

I have never SEEN a recommedation to use an "X" cpu over a mainstream "K" cpu...have you?

We can all assume why, but why not just come out and tell us why. 

Flight sims - from what I understand- is different than the usual games out there, ie, that doesn't have unlimited draw distance, etc.

10850K, MSI Unify Z490, 32gb G.Skill Ripjaw 3600 CL16, MSI 5700 XT 8gb, Nochua NH-U12a, WD 500gb Black SSD (OS- Windows 10 Pro), Samsung 2tb Evo plus SSD (games), Superflower 850 watts power supply