Sign in to follow this  
simtom

MSFS Required Specs

Does MSFS utilized DirectX 12?

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

2 minutes ago, Noel said:

No.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Noel said:

It probably will in the future

• Like 2

Goodness, really?  How could it happen that LM goes to DX12 in v5, XP to Vulcan, and MSFS as an MS product built from the ground up isn't using their own graphical API?  What's the theoretical or real explanation for this?

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

52 minutes ago, Noel said:

Goodness, really?  How could it happen that LM goes to DX12 in v5, XP to Vulcan, and MSFS as an MS product built from the ground up isn't using their own graphical API?  What's the theoretical or real explanation for this?

It is not an MS product from the ground up, but an Asobo product.. and when they started development several years ago,  DX11 was likely the standard they were using.. :happy:

• Like 3

Bert

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Is there any serious problem with DX11? MSFS still looks much better, than P3Dv5 with DX12 and XP11 with Vulcan 🙂 When Asobo start developing MSFS, DX12 didn't exist, so they had to use DX11. But Asobo said, that some time in the future will upgrade to DX12.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ludekbrno said:

Is there any serious problem with DX11? MSFS still looks much better, than P3Dv5 with DX12 and XP11 with Vulcan 🙂 When Asobo start developing MSFS, DX12 didn't exist, so they had to use DX11. But Asobo said, that some time in the future will upgrade to DX12.

I give, why did LM and LR upgrade to DX12/Vulcan?   Apparently there must be some advantage to it and as you mention Asobo is going to DX12 in the future.  Just seems odd to me that MSFS, not even released yet, was not designed or updated prior to release when the other players already have gone down this road.  And DX12 was released in mid 2015.  Odd...

• Upvote 1

Noel

30 minutes ago, Noel said:

And DX12 was released in mid 2015.  Odd...

And development of MSFS started in 2014...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Noel said:

I give, why did LM and LR upgrade to DX12/Vulcan?   Apparently there must be some advantage to it and as you mention Asobo is going to DX12 in the future.  Just seems odd to me that MSFS, not even released yet, was not designed or updated prior to release when the other players already have gone down this road.  And DX12 was released in mid 2015.  Odd...

And what is the problem? 🙂 DX12 is not necessary for release and would be mean an unnecessary delay. MSFS will work good without it and DX12 will come in the future.

59 minutes ago, ludekbrno said:

And what is the problem?

Well let's see, the vast majority of P3D v5 users say performance is significantly better than in prior versions, and one might guess that has something to do w/ how DX12 was utilized since versions prior to v5 were likely as optimized as they could get given the architecture etc.  I'm just surprised this was not foreseen many years ago while they were in earlier development, like around 2015 when Win 10 and DX12 debuted.  I think the question is completely valid, what is your problem?

Edited by Noel

Noel

1 hour ago, Noel said:

I give, why did LM and LR upgrade to DX12/Vulcan?

Asobo is building an entire sim using new technologies for generating the world, amongst many other changes, like improving the fight model. Perhaps they didn't think adding DX12 to the mix for the initial release was worth the added development time? As they have said, it will likely come in a future update. Those other sims were upgrading one portion of their sims, not completely overhauling the entire platform. And there are also many users on P3D having troubles with running out of VRAM, so it isn't like it is a simple upgrade to do. I would rather they do the DX12 update right rather than rush it out just so they can say they use DX12.

6 minutes ago, Noel said:

Well let's see, the vast majority of P3D v5 users say performance is significantly better than in prior versions, and one might guess that has something to do w/ how DX12 was utilized since versions prior to v5 were likely as optimized as they could get given the architecture etc.  I'm just surprised this was not foreseen many years ago while they were in earlier development, like around 2015 when Win 10 and DX12 debuted.  I think the question is completely valid, what is your problem?

Ok, so we can looking forward to improve the performance in future 🙂 I think, not so long future.

1 minute ago, Noel said:

Well let's see, the vast majority of P3D v5 users say performance is significantly better than in prior versions, and one might guess that has something to do w/ how DX12 was utilized

Because the biggest advantage DirectX 12 offers is relieving the driver overhead from the main thread and spreading it over several threads. Prepar3D, just like its ESP base, is extremely single-core dependent, so it is only to be expected that performance would be boosted considerably. Microsoft Flight Simulator is looking to have much better multi-threading capabilities thanks to its overhauled engine, and will also be a lot more GPU-bound. As a result, porting the engine to DirectX 12 is not nearly as essential because the performance gains are likely to be very mild, but they will do it anyway for ray-tracing support, and perhaps to make it easier to port it to console.

DirectX 12 has been around for several years indeed, but hardware support from NVIDIA (whose GPUs are by far more popular) has been rather shaky (let alone most game implementations), and considering its small benefits towards a properly multi-threaded and GPU-bound application, it is likely they didn't see any reason to port the engine over until DXR was a thing.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for that detailed explanation which makes good sense.

Noel

Nvidias full Ampere line up seems to have fully leaked confirming the 3060 will be on par with a 2080ti and the 3080ti being 40-70% faster than the card it's replacing! 

Exciting times ahead. 

MSFS. Hardware: AMD 5600X @4.0Ghz, Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT AIO, MSI MPG B550i Gaming Edge WiFi mobo, RTX 3080ti 12GB FE GPU , G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB (2x16) DDR4-3600 RAM CL16, PNY XLR8 3030 1 TB SSD (OS + SIM), Crucial P5 1TB M.2 pcie-3 NVMe SSD (data) . Corsair SF750 80+ Platinum PSU, NZXT H200i Mini ITX Tower.  38" LG UltraGear  38GN950-B display. 4x QL120 fans