Sign in to follow this  
simtom

MSFS Required Specs

The XBox Series X is a interesting perspective, however can I connect Honeycomb controllers to it and load up the PMDG NXGu++ or whatever it will be called into the XBox version? Will it allow me to connect to the Pilot's Edge network or VATSIM? Again all questions that support a wait and see.

• Like 2

The upcoming Xbox console will have the graphics settings tweaked as the current consoles do the same on current generation games. You get graphics in consoles which can be easily achieved with medium to high graphics setting on PC. You just have to take the time and tweak a little.

The new Xbox will have a graphics card that might be close to the upcoming RDNA2 from AMD, which by the way will be released before the new Xbox comes out. 

We don`t know the price tag, but it is expected to be cheaper than an equivalent PC, as console makers don`t earn their money with selling consoles.

But in no way I would buy a Xbox for FS2020. Even if the controllers fit, the PC is a machine where any instruction code can be fully modified.

Asobo and MS have done an impressive job regarding the hardware requirements, there are reports that a 2080 is enough for high and HD, or the well known 1070 video from a mysterious source.

2 hours ago, BigDee said:

But in no way I would buy a Xbox for FS2020. Even if the controllers fit, the PC is a machine where any instruction code can be fully modified. 

Please explain why this aspect is of ANY significance or REAL advantage to the average gamer (or Flight Sim enthusiast) who just wants to get on with enjoying the game.

If anything, they are greatly irritated no end when distracting intervention is necessary to enable a game to be played satisfactorily. 

I know there are many geeks who enjoy getting stuck in (like auto enthusiasts only to happy to find an excuse to lift the bonnet on their temperamental bangers). 

But I am no longer one of "them".

And am VERY glad that Asobo seem to have made extraordinary User-friendly strides in producing a game which appears to finally intend removing the need for this "geek fiddling" right at the starting gate. 

I strongly suspect the majority of gamers (and flight simmers too!) fall into this category, and will be only too glad to look forward to avoid having to "lift the hood" to continually tweek user-hostile programming, and the irritable, time-wasting add-in cousins they attract 

Each to his own... 

I overreacted with my statement. Xbox will be a good solution.

But:

- keyboard / mouse would likely be relevant - online gaming | tweaking plane | flight planning

- 3rd party controls might get supported, but that is not sure | PC will and if not, custom Kernel drivers will do

- Fan content / modifications / tweakings on PC will likely improve experience

Xbox is a good solution, but I doubt that an equivalent PC in 2021 will cost more than 30% the money of a gaming console.

Current 4K console generations just use a medium ranged graphics cards, luckelywise prices have dropped this year for PC graphics hardware.

Edited by BigDee

11 hours ago, MaVe64 said:

I guess when AI and/or live traffic is introduced, it will have a big hit on CPU performance.

Let's just hope that multi core usage is finally implemented here and that this can be run on a core that is not bothering the performance of the whole simulator.

I'm also stoked for the new MSFS and I'll upgrade my system as soon people have done performance tests. There is no gain whatsoever in upgrading right now.

Geforce RTX 3080 is suppoed to have the performance of a current RTX 2080 TI while being cheeper. Ryzen 4000 should have an performance increase over 3000.

Intel CPU's have a performance advantage on single core processing. AMD is better in multi core performance. Is MSFS2020 developed sophisticated enough? I've no idea how good a game/simulator can be developed when kind of starting from scratch, but when they can run visuals, flight physics and AI on different cores it might be a huge advantage.

Just wait people... we've been waiting so long. Wait until MSFS is out.. people, computer magazines, Youtube channels will be all over analyzing the performance on various hardware.

We'll know if spending 170% more of the price of a Ryzen 3700x for a 3900x will even have an effect on the Sim Performance when it is GPU limited. You better invest the extra money on a really pricey GPU then.

But if I had to upgrade my PC today in the best hopes for its MSFS2020 performance, this is my choice of components while not spending a ridiculous amount (like for a RTX 2080 TI which would almost double the overall costs)

JZkaDl0.png

Edited by Wanderkroete

I understand that $2500 dollars may be on the high end for a top computer. In my case, it’s been 10 years since my last upgrade. Based on your comments, you feel I should keep waiting. Look, if I decide to spend $2500 dollars on a hobby I enjoy, it’s really worth it. And do your really believe that anyone who purchases a $2500 dollars computers does so to show off? $2500 is not a lot of money of a computer that can last years. My 10 year old Alienware is still running strong, but it’s time for an update...just in time for FS2020.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Huascar said:

. Look, if I decide to spend $2500 dollars on a hobby I enjoy, it’s really worth it.

My 10 year old Alienware is still running strong, but it’s time for an update...just in time for FS2020.

Absolutely, I do the same buying a high end computer at long intervals of time. My old home-built 4770k gives a good service after now more than seven years. 

I wait a little to replace though to see how the sim will handle cores, would more cores be really better. In any case you chose a nice set up. The only thing is that I would go for a non-wired BT mouse and keyboard. Makes life easier IMO.  

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

5 hours ago, Huascar said:

$2500 is not a lot of money of a computer that can last years.

I beg to differ! 

If this computer is to be used ONLY for "gaming" (and NOT also double-up as an essential workhorse for other seriously intensive computing activity), then - when compared against the prospect of a "cheap" $500 Series X Console supplied as a subsidised loss-leader that can deliver exactly the SAME performance - is indeed a HUGELY expensive OVERKILL for the stated intention of simply gaming with FS 2020.

Requiring an expensive Lamborghini or Ferrari in the garage for the only purpose of doing the daily shopping at the local mall, when a simple Toyota can do that same job JUST as effectively, seems not a good value exercise. At all. 

But... regarding the console,..can you mod the game? Can you add both freeware & payware scenery or planes, or any additional stuff? Can you tweak anything?

The majority of us actually do those things.

Console a subsidised loss leader? Well, a lot of opposition between Sony & Microsoft, both very targeted towards gamers, & both with many games being released at launch. It will be interesting to see how a niche' product like MSFS fares.  

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

7 hours ago, Huascar said:

I understand that $2500 dollars may be on the high end for a top computer. In my case, it’s been 10 years since my last upgrade. Based on your comments, you feel I should keep waiting. Look, if I decide to spend $2500 dollars on a hobby I enjoy, it’s really worth it. And do your really believe that anyone who purchases a $2500 dollars computers does so to show off? $2500 is not a lot of money of a computer that can last years. My 10 year old Alienware is still running strong, but it’s time for an update...just in time for FS2020.

Just wait for the release. For $2500 you won't get a worse product by the time of release then buying now.

But regarding the price, is there a reason you chose Alienware? Do you like the brand or the looks of the case? I haven't recalculated the prices of the individual components but I feel like they charge extra for the brand name. My first 3 computers were ready to plug in systems but then I said to myself.. It can't be that hard. So I bought all the parts for my 4th computer individually and built it up myself in like an our. It is not a difficult task. It was cheeper and I also prefered that you can have a case with a very minimalistic/subtle design. And in the end is was cheaper, or the other way around I could get even better components for the same price.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

But... regarding the console,..can you mod the game? Can you add both freeware & payware scenery or planes, or any additional stuff? Can you tweak anything?

The majority of us actually do those things.

It would certainly seem so! 

The reason why I keep banging on about the potential cost-saving from going the Console route, is that this frees BIG funds for updating yourself with the new hands-on hardware that will DEFINITELY give you loads more of real pleasure to use. 

This new hardware is not coming cheap (so far!), and will be a significant addition to any "computer" budget. 

If all the hardware and add-ons works just as fluently on the Console as on a PC ... it's Game On! 

Exciting times ahead... I feel like a kid the night before Xmas all over again! 

4 minutes ago, Jonnoxx said:

It would certainly seem so! 

No, you have no access to the file level. You can't copy anything to the console drive nor are you able to execute any extra add-ons, mods etc. You're stuck to what Microsoft wants you to run. 

MaVe Creations - FSLTL - Free AI sounds - Giving your airports more atmosphere!

www.mavecreations.weebly.com

8 hours ago, Huascar said:

I believe what he meant was that the price was too high for what you get, which is usually the case with boutique builders as Wanderkroete said. If you spent this much on the individual components and built the PC yourself then you could have the same configuration (or for even less if that SSD and PSU are not of a premium quality, but Alienware do not list the exact models on their website which in my view is unacceptable for such a premium price) but with an RTX 2080 Ti instead (which performs quite a bit better than the RTX 2080 Super despite the similar nomenclature). But that does not matter now that you have already purchased this system, it's still a great one and you will be able to enjoy Microsoft Flight Simulator and many other games with it.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, MaVe64 said:

No, you have no access to the file level. You can't copy anything to the console drive nor are you able to execute any extra add-ons, mods etc. You're stuck to what Microsoft wants you to run. 

That will be a bummer for the hard-core developers and geeks! 

But surely the "developers" will be able to do all this good stuff on their PC's with the SDK? 

And then this good stuff becomes available to us simple gamers who are not into coding stuff (I speak for myself!) to add into the game via the Xbox store? 

Just like any other game. 

Edited by Jonnoxx

Just now, Wanderkroete said:

Just wait for the release. For $2500 you won't get a worse product by the time of release then buying now.

But regarding the price, is there a reason you chose Alienware? Do you like the brand or the looks of the case? I haven't recalculated the prices of the individual components but I feel like they charge extra for the brand name. My first 3 computers were ready to plug in systems but then I said to myself.. It can't be that hard. So I bought all the parts for my 4th computer individually and built it up myself in like an our. It is not a difficult task. It was cheeper and I also prefered that you can have a case with a very minimalistic/subtle design. And in the end is was cheaper, or the other way around I could get even better components for the same price.

I build my own rigs. It is fun albeit a little stressful (these damned pins not to be bent !)  and I get exactly what I want but I've never be convinced that it was cheaper. At least in France. Buying one component at a time we don't get the same price than Dell can get when they buy tens thousands of them.  Also you do'nt get the tuning /overclocking service that some builders do. You have to do it yourself. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam