Sign in to follow this  
Ephedrin

Realair Turbine Duke engine spool advice

Hello everyone,

I haven't flown the marvelous Turbine Duke for ages, probably since P3Dv3 and I noticed that in v4.5 the engines spool extremely slow. I believe to remember them having been much more responsive in earlier versions. 

So I have had a look at the aircraft.cfg if I could find any value to possibly tweak the spooling times of the turbines but had no luck so far..

Does anyone know IF (and how) this can be accomplished? The plane is still one of the best in my GA hangar but the engines are really no fun like this and it would be a real pity if that couldn't be tweaked..

thank you

Marc

I feel like they've always spooled on the slower side of things, certainly slower than the piston Duke, which would be expected from a turboprop.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Change the calibration on your controls to suit!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I'd say it's close to accurate for the PT6.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

5 hours ago, fppilot said:

Change the calibration on your controls to suit!

That‘s nothing to do with the calibration. The levers in the airplane move 1:1 with my hardware levers. But the engines take about 20 seconda to fully respond which makes a save approach almost impossible as you can‘t react on wind or even on deopping gear and flaps.. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ephedrin said:

That‘s nothing to do with the calibration. The levers in the airplane move 1:1 with my hardware levers. But the engines take about 20 seconda to fully respond which makes a save approach almost impossible as you can‘t react on wind or even on deopping gear and flaps.. 

Well I only fly their Turbine Duke v2 and I have not had any issues like that with v2.  Over 500 real time hours and 152 landings.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

My inbox might be full hold on

@Dennis98BE try again

Edited by ryanbatcund
  • Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

On 4/24/2020 at 1:32 PM, fppilot said:

Well I only fly their Turbine Duke v2 and I have not had any issues like that with v2.  Over 500 real time hours and 152 landings.

I see. Yes I meant the v2. I'll try to play with it a little I think. But right now it's either different from yours or I'm doing sth pretty wrong. 🤷‍♂️ I don't think my installation is buggy but as I have initially installed it under an earlier version of P3Dv4 I will try a reinstall.

Thank you for your replies.

On 4/23/2020 at 7:25 PM, Ephedrin said:

I haven't flown the marvelous Turbine Duke for ages, probably since P3Dv3 and I noticed that in v4.5 the engines spool extremely slow.

It's very difficult to get the turbine spoiling correct in P3d. It really takes fiddling with the air file and even then it won't match up with reality. One thing that you can try is modifying this section of aircraft.cfg:

[TurbineEngineData]
//fuel_flow_gain          = 0.051        //was 0.032 Gain on fuel flow
inlet_area              = 0.88                 //Square Feet, engine nacelle inlet area
rated_N2_rpm            = 34500          //34500 RPM, second stage compressor rated value
static_thrust           = 40                  // Do not change! Placeholder for custom thrust coding elsewhere
fuel_flow_gain.0 = 00.0, 0.011
fuel_flow_gain.1 = 25.0, 0.051
fuel_flow_gain.2 = 60.0, 0.051 

LM added the staged_fuel_flow_gain items which allows a variable fuel flow on spoil up. Adding this detail only helps a bit. 🙂

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

It's very difficult to get the turbine spoiling correct in P3d. It really takes fiddling with the air file and even then it won't match up with reality. One thing that you can try is modifying this section of aircraft.cfg:

[TurbineEngineData]
//fuel_flow_gain          = 0.051        //was 0.032 Gain on fuel flow
inlet_area              = 0.88                 //Square Feet, engine nacelle inlet area
rated_N2_rpm            = 34500          //34500 RPM, second stage compressor rated value
static_thrust           = 40                  // Do not change! Placeholder for custom thrust coding elsewhere
fuel_flow_gain.0 = 00.0, 0.011
fuel_flow_gain.1 = 25.0, 0.051
fuel_flow_gain.2 = 60.0, 0.051 

LM added the staged_fuel_flow_gain items which allows a variable fuel flow on spoil up. Adding this detail only helps a bit. 🙂

Oh thanks for that hint! So adding this line and then playing with the value might change it? is there a "guessed" value you would start with? 

edit: oh... just opened the file and got what you meant.. 😄 thank you!

Edited by Ephedrin

I just played around with the gain vs. N1 to see how it changed the spooling. From the SDK:

[turbineenginedata]

A turbine engine ignites fuel and compressed air to create thrust.  These parameters define the power (thrust) output of a given jet turbine engine.

Property Description Examples
fuel_flow_gain Fuel flow gain constant. Bombardier CRJ 700( fuel_flow_gain = 0.0025 )
fuel_flow_gain.n Fuel flow gain constant table. This can be used in lieu of the single constant (above) in order to make the fuel flow gain a function of N1. The table will load sequentially (.0, .1, .2, ...) up to a maximum of 5 entries. Each entries first value is the N1 input, the second is the scalar at that N1. The constant will be linearly interpolated in between data points. fuel_flow_gain.0 = 00.0, 0.011
fuel_flow_gain.1 = 25.0, 0.011
fuel_flow_gain.2 = 60.0, 0.05
inlet_area Engine nacelle inlet area, (in square feet). Bombardier CRJ 700( inlet_area = 9.4 )
rated_n2_rpm Second stage compressor rated rpm. Bombardier CRJ 700( rated_N2_rpm = 29920 )
static_thrust Maximum rated static thrust at sea level (lbs). Bombardier CRJ 700( static_thrust = 12670 )
afterburner_available A number, indicating the number of afterburner stages available. Bombardier CRJ 700( afterburner_available = 0 )
reverser_available Specifies the scalar on the calculated reverse thrust effect. A value of 0 will cause no reverse thrust to be available. A value of 1.0 will cause the theoretical normal reverse thrust to be available. Other values will scale the normal calculated value accordingly. Bombardier CRJ 700( reverser_available = 1 )
thrustspecificfuelconsumption Jet thrust specific fuel consumption. The ratio of fuel used in pounds per hour, to thrust in pounds. Applies at all speeds.  
afterburnthrustspecificfuelconsumption Jet thrust specific fuel consumption. The ratio of fuel used in pounds per hour, to thrust in pounds. Applies only when the afterburner is active.  
afterburner_throttle_threshold Percentage of throttle range when the afterburner engages.  
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1