Sign in to follow this  
Kenjiro75

Bing Maps up-to-dateness

I have just opened the Bing Maps page on Wikipedia, and I saw with disbelief that the last map update took place in 2010. So if I'm not mistaken, it means that in Flight Simulator we get a world that is very out of date... A closer look at my neighborhood on Bing Maps just confirmed it. Are the other towns you live in also like 10 years ago in Bing Maps?

Bing maps represents about 2017 for my location (Davenport, IA, USA).  Only three years old.

Bob Bressert

Satellite imagery around KSFO is newer than 2010, as the Terminal 1 expansion appears to be nearly complete (at least on the outside).

Which makes the imagery even newer than Google Maps, which shows it still under heavy construction. 

Edited by Tuskin38

Also 2017 here (Basel, Switzerland). Same as Google, but Google has photogrammetry.

Edited by Shack95

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

47 minutes ago, Kenjiro75 said:

I have just opened the Bing Maps page on Wikipedia, and I saw with disbelief that the last map update took place in 2010. So if I'm not mistaken, it means that in Flight Simulator we get a world that is very out of date... A closer look at my neighborhood on Bing Maps just confirmed it. Are the other towns you live in also like 10 years ago in Bing Maps?

You are mistaken to trust a wikipedia entry as gospel. The platform is still being actively developed and their blog (which the wikipedia article sourced for their "updates" section) can be found here.https://blogs.bing.com/maps We can have a discussion about how up to date Bing is or isn't versus Google or other platforms (it will vary from place to place), a discussion that I believe has already been had here several times; but no the last update to their data didn't take place in 2010.

Edited by MrNuke
  • Like 1

It's different all over the world. And it's just the nature of the beast. It's still going to be 10x better than what we currently have in our sims.

• Like 8

The Las Vegas area from the X019 video looks to be about 3 years old.

Edited by skully

2010 seems about right for my city. Google is way more up to date.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

Google is no better, I find areas all the time that haven't been updated in years either.

2 hours ago, Kenjiro75 said:

This just isn't true as where I live (Sunderland, UK) in August 2018 a new suspension bridge was opened over the River Wear, on Bing maps the bridge is finish with vehicles driving over it, yet on Google maps it's still under construction. 

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

Even Google maps/ street view is not up to date. If you buy a third party airport or city, these are out of date fairly quickly, especially in areas of rapid urban construction.

At least using MSFS’s model, if the map or 3D model is updated in the back end, then it should push through, assuming if this is the planned process.

• Upvote 1

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock

I'm in southern utah and its 2 years old. 

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

I don't care really . What happens in the air and around airports is what matters to me , and flight model of course . The eye candy is exactly that , if its up to date great if not so what . It will still be light years better than anything else on offer . 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Groovy_Kincaid said:

Even Google maps/ street view is not up to date. If you buy a third party airport or city, these are out of date fairly quickly, especially in areas of rapid urban construction.

At least using MSFS’s model, if the map or 3D model is updated in the back end, then it should push through, assuming if this is the planned process.

Airports are hand crafted to an extent though. Not just those 80+ deluxe airports.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

1 hour ago, tweekz said:

Airports are hand crafted to an extent though. Not just those 80+ deluxe airports.

Yeah and remember that we're only talking RELASE v1.0 stuff. I imagine that there will be a lot patches with new functionalities coming after the release.

I kind of suspect that it'll be a subscription model, but I wouldn't mind it if the quality and updates are delivered. Much better than to pay $60 for something like P3D v5, which is a complete joke 🙂

Tomáš Pokorný

sign.php?call=160   signature-dark.png

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5