Sign in to follow this  
Dane Watson

P3D v4.5 HF3 - Poor Performance

Ever since I updated P3D v4.5 to HF3 my FPS have declined by approximately 10, where I used to consistently get 25 to 30 I am now getting 15 to 20.

I have not added or changed anything from HF2 to HF3 or after.  I am flying in the same area with my favorite aircraft the Carenado Beech Baron B58.

I tried uninstalling and re-installing the Client.  I tried deleting the Shaders.

Has anyone else found this to be an issue?

If there is no solution to this I am wondering if I can actually go back to HF2 - is that possible?

Regards, Dane

- Windows 10 Home - CPU Intel Core i7-10700KF @3.8GHz
- EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 GPU - 1TB SSD DRIVE - RAM 32GB - MSFS-2020

1 hour ago, Dane Watson said:

Ever since I updated P3D v4.5 to HF3 my FPS have declined by approximately 10, where I used to consistently get 25 to 30 I am now getting 15 to 20.

I have not added or changed anything from HF2 to HF3 or after.  I am flying in the same area with my favorite aircraft the Carenado Beech Baron B58.

I tried uninstalling and re-installing the Client.  I tried deleting the Shaders.

If there is no solution to this I am wondering if I can actually go back to HF2 - is that possible?

Did you delete the P3D.cfg file and let regenerate?

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

Can you run Lorby's addon tool and do a check on encoding.  if some required files encoding is not set up right - slow fps can occur (it all depends).  I like to make sure all my files have the right encoding.  

If there are encoding issues - just run Notepad++ - open the file, change encoding to UCS - BOM-LE (something like that) and save viola.  Run the lorby app again - check encoding - it will say no errors found.

See if that brings back some fps.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

1 hour ago, Skywolf said:

change encoding to UCS - BOM-LE

But only if it is a .cfg file.

xml files have to be encoded according to their own declaration in the top line header.

21 minutes ago, Farlis said:

But only if it is a .cfg file.

xml files have to be encoded according to their own declaration in the top line header.

I am just giving a suggestion.

@Dane Watson have you check your Nvidia Control panel and to see by accident windows 10 / or nvida driver update put it to Optimal power settings vs Maximum Power.  

Deleting of Prepar3d.cfg usually for most of the times solves the problem.

• Like 1

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

13 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

I am just giving a suggestion.

Then give one that is correct. 😉

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skywolf said:

Can you run Lorby's addon tool and do a check on encoding.  if some required files encoding is not set up right - slow fps can occur (it all depends).  I like to make sure all my files have the right encoding.  

This would not depend if you're running v4.5 hf2 or hf3. I frequently use the Lorby P4AO with hf2 and have not seeing any adverse impact on the FPS related to encoding.

The OP describes an issue with low FPS when running hf3.

Cheers, Ed

Edited by edpatino

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

9 hours ago, Dane Watson said:

Did you originally only do the Client update or did you update any other component, like Content?.

If you only did the Client update you can revert back to hf2 at any time by doing the same procedure (inverted, of course). I don't have any experience when reverting back if you also updated the Content/Scenery components.

Cheers, Ed

Edited by edpatino

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Can someone elaborate for me.........is there a specific reason to update from 4.5HF2 to 4.5HF3? Since this is likely to be the last iteration of P3Dv4, I am not convinced that "updating" to HF3 has any merit.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

5 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Can someone elaborate for me.........is there a specific reason to update from 4.5HF2 to 4.5HF3? Since this is likely to be the last iteration of P3Dv4, I am not convinced that "updating" to HF3 has any merit.

I looked through the change list and saw no compelling need, so I haven't. 

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

4 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I don't find any valid reason for the update. There were some reports about performance gains after updating to hf3, but maybe it's the usual hype from some users with no really valid arguments to justify the gains.

And now, this thread talking about FPS losses makes me think that's probably better to stay with hf2 before jumping to v5.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

I agree that the OP should try to delete their prepar3d.cfg. Usually this has fixed  all sorts of issues for me, and I’m pretty sure that this is a highly recommended step after updating the client.

as for whether to update to 4.5hf3... I haven’t. My sim is running very smoothly generally, so the last thing I want to do is mess it up. I’ll stay with 4.5 the way it is, perhaps installing an airport now and then, but that’s it. No major changes until I move to v5.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

I have read and have appreciated all the feedback from everyone - thank you.

Before I roll back to HF2, I will try one thing that I had not done and has come across loud and clear from many of you - I will delete the CFG file and see what happens.

Will let everyone know later today my results.

Regards, Dane

- Windows 10 Home - CPU Intel Core i7-10700KF @3.8GHz
- EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 GPU - 1TB SSD DRIVE - RAM 32GB - MSFS-2020

I also haven't updated to HF3 yet since I can't find any good reason to do so except P3D being on the latest version. There's not a single thing in the changelog that would benefit me in any way (at least to my knowledge). Also posts like this are not very encouraging, although I'm not sure the FPS loss issue has anything to do with HF3. A lot of simmers updated P3D to HF3 yet this is the first post about such issue. I mean, 10-15 FPS is huge. If it would be a genuine bug in the code we'd have HF4 by now. IT would be interesting to hear from others who updated to HF3.