Sign in to follow this  
captain420

How's the coverage in Asia in MSFS 2020?

I'm really curious as to how the coverage is in Asia. I really hope that with all the new technology that Asobo and MS is using that we'll finally be able to get a decent rendition of this often neglected region with past iteration of flight sims. I'm glad that North America and Europe has the best scenery, but I really hope that Asia will be up to par in the release of MSFS 2020.

• Like 6

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Yeah, and do some sight seeing in North Korea. 

• Like 2

MaVe Creations - FSLTL - Free AI sounds - Giving your airports more atmosphere!

www.mavecreations.weebly.com

I agree, I'd love to see some shots from Central Asia, PNG/Papua, Java, Philippines and Japan. Oases in the deserts, paddy fields, volcanoes, jungle strips, shanty towns etc. And telling shots, not the blurry or dark/dusk types to look pretty.  

I don't know why we don't see any. Testers and/or the screenshot manager lack of imagination or the fact that the regional sceneries are not ready for prime time ?

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I heavily doubt it will be as good because photogrammetry isn’t available in Asia as per Bing Maps. But I sincerely hope I’m wrong.

1 minute ago, FAZZ3 said:

I heavily doubt it will be as good because photogrammetry isn’t available in Asia as per Bing Maps. But I sincerely hope I’m wrong.

Photogrammetry is not the alpha and omega of the sim. Good orthos (and Bing maps are not so bad for Asia) over a good mesh with some localized autogen would make me happy. 

• Like 6

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

4 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Photogrammetry is not the alpha and omega of the sim. Good orthos (and Bing maps are not so bad for Asia) over a good mesh with some localized autogen would make me happy. 

I don’t entirely disagree with you, but from the screenshots we’ve seen so far, the areas with photogrammetry definitely do stand out as much more accurate and lively scenery compared to what the AI based autogen has solely done based on satellite textures and colors, which also is very impressive compared to the autogen in current sims.

29 minutes ago, FAZZ3 said:

I don’t entirely disagree with you, but from the screenshots we’ve seen so far, the areas with photogrammetry definitely do stand out as much more accurate and lively scenery compared to what the AI based autogen has solely done based on satellite textures and colors, which also is very impressive compared to the autogen in current sims.

My reaction was somewhat dictated by my profile of a simmer flying everywhere on the planet but mostly outside the large cities where the PG areas are.

They are lovely but will be indeed limited in scope for Asia. The areas without PG where I will fly, should be better by an order of magnitude 🤞compared to any LC based sceneries we have today. As the AI seems sometimes to struggle to render the landscape out of the sat imagery, I would be interested like the OP to see how FS20 looks like in Asia.

I keep my expectations in check in any case !

• Like 1

Dominique

2 hours ago, FAZZ3 said:

I expect the Bing Maps to be evolving continuously... Now they will have extra motivation thanks to the sim.

As for the original question: The entire world will be accurately represented, nothing to do with add-ons.

• Like 1

Tomáš Pokorný

sign.php?call=160   signature-dark.png

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

4 hours ago, FAZZ3 said:

I have to disagree with you. They’ve shown really great scenes outside the photogrammetry coverage.

Look Paris, London, Porto, Athens etc, they are all cities not covered with photogrammetry and they still look pretty awesome.

You have to have in mind that the photogrammetry is what it is, it’s ready since the beginning. The autogen trees and buildings are still on the works. They are improving their textures assets all the time. Look one of the last update release notes and you will see.

IMHO the areas not covered by photogrammetry can look as good as the areas covered by it (when I say good I’m not saying accurate, photogrammetry will always be more accurate). Good orthos + good autogen + accurate placement + some custom landmarks and I will be more than pleased.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

The 1st discovery video @4:48 shows a clip of a part of New Guinea - quite remote and it looks pretty good to me, may even be better by now. 

I think Asia will be represented well. I have high hopes for places like Galapagos, and how wildlife may be represented there. After seeing them disco Giraffes maybe we will have acrobatic iguanas. 😂 

My concerns are places like Alert (CYLT) Canada (remote in the extreme) and places like St Helena (middle of nowhere) and its new Airport (FHSH).

I also have concerns about things like magnetic navigation realism around Svalbard (ENSB), and further "over the pole" type navigation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pracines said:

The 1st discovery video @4:48 shows a clip of a part of New Guinea - quite remote and it looks pretty good to me, may even be better by now. 

I think Asia will be represented well. I have high hopes for places like Galapagos, and how wildlife may be represented there. After seeing them disco Giraffes maybe we will have acrobatic iguanas. 😂 

My concerns are places like Alert (CYLT) Canada (remote in the extreme) and places like St Helena (middle of nowhere) and its new Airport (FHSH).

I also have concerns about things like magnetic navigation realism around Svalbard (ENSB), and further "over the pole" type navigation. 

I'm also curious how Antarctica airfields look.

And Thule AB.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/25/2020 at 10:19 AM, Dominique_K said:

My reaction was somewhat dictated by my profile of a simmer flying everywhere on the planet but mostly outside the large cities where the PG areas are.

They are lovely but will be indeed limited in scope for Asia. The areas without PG where I will fly, should be better by an order of magnitude 🤞compared to any LC based sceneries we have today. As the AI seems sometimes to struggle to render the landscape out of the sat imagery, I would be interested like the OP to see how FS20 looks like in Asia.

I keep my expectations in check in any case !

I'm the same type of flyer you are, Dominique. It's nice to fly above your own house, but having lived in Asia for over twenty years, I'm more into exploring the jungle airstrips of South East Asia.  Without violating the NDA, all I can say is that Asia in MSFS is of course not like the real thing, but I am certain, you will like it. I do 😄

• Like 2

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

On 4/27/2020 at 8:28 AM, bernd1151 said:

I'm the same type of flyer you are, Dominique. It's nice to fly above your own house, but having lived in Asia for over twenty years, I'm more into exploring the jungle airstrips of South East Asia.  Without violating the NDA, all I can say is that Asia in MSFS is of course not like the real thing, but I am certain, you will like it. I do 😄

I get confused when these type of topics come up because I recall from episode 1 of the feature discovery series, it was revealed that (I think) the whole world had satellite imagery coverage as well as a "realistic rendition" with azure adding trees and 3D buildings (not photogrammetry) - https://youtu.be/BZL5PCZO8cc?list=PLHHNa7e7hf9MOgis5vFhf0tjl8QD92KSQ&t=218

So then I take it that Asia doesn't match the fidelity mentioned in the video above?

I fly mostly in SE Asia (in P3D) and I created photo-real scenery myself using FSEarthtile. I found out most Bing map in this region are in poor quality, have cloud covered, or very very low resolution. I think MSFS will likely use landclass method mostly in this region? (Unless the AI is intelligent enough to correct those poor quality map nicely). I am eagerly to find out when MSFS released.

• Upvote 1

You won't be disappointed with Asia. I really can't tell much about it, but yeah, basically it's a whole new world.

Edited by Nuno Pinto
  • Like 3

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11