Sign in to follow this  
David Roch

P3DV5: "DGXI error device hung" with an RTX 2080Ti (?)

23 minutes ago, Boeing or not going said:

You are going through this thread and attacking everyone in a condescending tone.

Reading too much of this "Device_Hung is a P3D bug!" malarkey let me loose a bit of temper.

I can reproduce DEVICE_HUNGS pretty easy, just some fiddling with NVIDIA profiles and you get that in every damned game that uses 3D.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

On 5/24/2020 at 8:29 PM, JoeFackel said:

so either i have accidentially got an "bugfree" V5 version or you got accidentially a "bugfull" one. I'm pretty sure we both use the same V5, so ... what tells you that, logically?

All it tells anyone is that different hardware combinations will have different experiences.

56 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

Reading too much of this "Device_Hung is a P3D bug!" malarkey let me loose a bit of temper.

I can reproduce DEVICE_HUNGS pretty easy, just some fiddling with NVIDIA profiles and you get that in every damned game that uses 3D.

I've only set my Nvidia profile to make the GPU 'prefer maxmimum performance'. Yet even after changing one setting in P3D (e.g. reducing autogen) after I've started a flight, I often get a DXGI_Device_Error_Hung message.

Running other DX12 games on very high settings and changing them mid-game doesn't cause this error.

There's currently something unstable in the way P3D runs on some PC setups.

Edited by F737NG

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

8 minutes ago, F737NG said:

I've only set my Nvidia profile to make the GPU 'prefer maxmimum performance'. Yet even after changing one setting (e.g. reducing autogen) after I've started a flight, I often get a DXGI_Device_Error_Hung message.

Setting an "creative" Nvidia Profile is just an example, you can make EVERY game to an graphic hog to bring a system to its knees.

There are soo many hardware/driver problems that can cause DEVICE_HUNGS that it is just plain wrong to see the program as culprit.

Simming isn't installing the sim, turning the settings up, adding addons to it and having a smooth running sim, thats not how it works. It works on consoles that way.

You need an VERY well and fine tuned system. If you begin to build up an new software basis (read: install a new version of your favourite sim) the whole "dance" begins again.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

5 hours ago, JoeFackel said:

Setting an "creative" Nvidia Profile is just an example, you can make EVERY game to an graphic hog to bring a system to its knees.

There are soo many hardware/driver problems that can cause DEVICE_HUNGS that it is just plain wrong to see the program as culprit.

Simming isn't installing the sim, turning the settings up, adding addons to it and having a smooth running sim, thats not how it works. It works on consoles that way.

You need an VERY well and fine tuned system. If you begin to build up an new software basis (read: install a new version of your favourite sim) the whole "dance" begins again.

Like I said,,my work will bring a cpu and gpu (1080ti) to its knees and at no time will I have, or ever had, a gpu lockup or quit working message,,only with LM V5..

It is very simple,,LM pushed the envelope a bit much and needs to dial it back a bit. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Does this happen in a stock install using a stock aircraft?

There's so many situations that can cause the hang we must be very sure at the very least to find out if the hang can occur during use of the stock simulator. If the stock install is fine then we must look at the additions. I am not saying that any additions are the net cause.

Remember that DX12 is different to DX11 and we must be sure that nothing prior to v5 combines to cause the hang.

It would be most helpful to understand if the problem will surface with additions to the simulator or not.

• Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I can testify that P3DV5 stock doesn't crash.

• Like 1

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

1 minute ago, David Roch said:

I can testify that P3DV5 stock doesn't crash.

Thanks David.

I had the crash repeatedly with stock v5 before I defaulted the Nvidia profiles - that is, I performed a Restore/Apply to the Global and Prepar3D.exe profiles and have not experienced any hangs or problems since then.

I have installed some sceneries from ORBX and seen no hangs with that. But generally I am using stock install during development.

6 hours ago, SteveW said:

Does this happen in a stock install using a stock aircraft?

Unfortunately, my stock v5 (absolutely no addons) does crash, even with everything off or in the lowest setting. I do use an RX 5500 XT though (an Asus ROG Strix RX 5500 XT 8G GAMING OC to be exact).

My old Nvidia GTX 1050Ti did not have any problems with v5. Cloud resolution on high did give the error, but lowering this to medium solved it. With my new RX 5500 XT the error was back (edit to add: as soon as you change views from outside to the VC). Nothing helps with this GPU/driver. I tried the TdrLevel and TdrDelay tweaks, use an external FPS limiter, all standard settings within the AMD Software, lowest settings...

Hopefully there will be a fix soon, because v5 looks and performs much better than v4!

Edited by SoWxss
Add more useful information
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SoWxss said:

RX 5500 XT the error was back (edit to add: as soon as you change views from outside to the VC)

Thanks. Any particular VC? I will check that. Could be helpful for eliminations if you are OK with any others in particular. Or perhaps a different area of scenery since there are some known issues in the stock scenery.

I've made an interesting discovery, not sure if others can confirm/deny.

But I only seem to get a crash if I've opened a 2d popup panel during my flight (Shift+1-9)

It doesn't happen right away, eg. I might open a popup FMC before takeoff and then half an hour later I'll get a crash.

But if I avoid opening the popup panels entirely I don't get any device_hung crashes.

Edited by itsjase

My observation in VR is similar, although not systematically tested:

1. Before taxi with the Leonardo Maddog, I open its takeoff speed panel (Shift-5) to get the V-speeds. After landing, sometimes the well known CTD.

2. When powering up the TFDI B717 at night, I use Lorby´s fantastic torch (CTRL-1). Long later, after landing comes the CTD.

3. Sometimes the CTD comes when I switch to the ProAtc window or to the ActiveSky window.

I believe it is common to all situations that extra memory is allocated which is not freed afterwards.

Michael

Michael Thesen

MSFS, HP Reverb G2, Gigabyte B760 32Gb, Samsung 970 EVO, Geforce RTX 4070-TI, Win11, i7-14700KF, Thrustmaster T16000M, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

Any addon at all in the mix is not helping the elimination of the problem, whether they are OK in v4 or not doesn't help. Therefore I can't pay much attention to those two last reports. So I am awaiting for more input from SoWxss

8 hours ago, SteveW said:

Thanks. Any particular VC? I will check that. Could be helpful for eliminations if you are OK with any others in particular. Or perhaps a different area of scenery since there are some known issues in the stock scenery.

What I tried so far was the default F35 at Randolph AFB. This gave the error every time. I just tried the F22 at Randolph, which (surprisingly to me) did not give the error. Switching back to the F35 gave the error immediately (crashed my whole PC). I will try some more aircraft!

• Like 1

Are you talking about CTDs or DGXI errors?

• Like 1

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

32 minutes ago, David Roch said:

Are you talking about CTDs or DGXI errors?

About 80% of the time I get DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG errors