Sign in to follow this  
Flows

Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 (MS FFB2)

Hi Folks,

I am looking to invest in these for a DIY project and wondering if there is any difference in the components or programming of the X05-92622 and X05-63778 FFB2s.

Someone trying to sell a 63 tried to tell me that the 92's were of lower quality. Is there any truth in this?

I have one of each. I bought the 92  because the hat switch on the 63 was broken. However, I found that the gimbal action of the 63 is absolutely smooth, whereas there is a definite (and unpleasant) notchiness in the gimbal movement of the 92. Apart from that, I don't notice any difference between the two, and this difference in the gimbal movement could obviously be a result of wear and tear rather than any difference in manufacturing quality.

Cheers! I see there is also the red trigger X08-58763 version. For anyone that has pulled these apart, do we know if there is any difference in the components suppliers/quality etc. between the X05-92622, X05-63778 and X08-58763 FFB2s

I have all three versions (used them for experimenting with FFB yoke design). They are absolutely identical inside- materials, design, PCB's, parts- everything.

• Like 1

You are welcome😀. As for the new home for my Sidewinders- sorry, they were already disassembled and used for parts/ assemblies.

There is still quite a number of FFB2 sellers on eBay; what I wouldn't recommend is a X08-58763 (the "red-eye" version). As I explained, technically they are the same, but the grip is coated with rubber-like paint which always becomes sticky and extremely unpleasant to touch.

2 hours ago, SergeyPe said:

As I explained, technically they are the same

That’s not quite true. Mechanically, they are the same but the red trigger version was the last to be produced and came with updated firmware.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

1 hour ago, vortex681 said:

Mechanically, they are the same but the red trigger version was the last to be produced and came with updated firmware.

Yes, it's a popular belief. So far I couldn't find any real evidence of firmware updates in "red eye" version.

Thanks folks, very helpful. Is there anyone here likely to have managed to reflash the firmware on these? I see that is one of the preferred upgrades on the G940s...

Now I am in New Zealand so I will probably have to buy in the US and ship to a freight forwarder and then on to NZ taking all of 2-3 weeks and some expense. What is the best way to check these out over a Jitsi session with a screen share video / audio etc. Use some free and easy to install calibration software, and look for stalls or stutters in the pots through out their range? Mic up to the gimbal and listen/look for any roughness or slop? How would I verify the condition of the motors? Anything else I should look at?

On 4/28/2020 at 8:55 PM, Flows said:

Is there anyone here likely to have managed to reflash the firmware on these?

As far as I’m aware, there was never the ability to update the firmware. Why would you want to do it? The joystick is plug-and-play in Windows 10 and works well in all the games I use it with.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit