Sign in to follow this  
jencas

Free Drzewiecki Design's Miami City X

13 minutes ago, rightseat said:

Hi Bert,

The city buildings. I believe the project's focus was on the city, and I think I remember DD said that low resolution airports were included because the focus was on the city itself, but my city textures are still really bad and do not resemble the promo pictures for the full product. So, I think I did something wrong. 🙂

Flying east from the airport, toward Brickell Key..

https://imgur.com/a/CYOa4bd

Bert

30 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Flying east from the airport, toward Brickell Key..

https://imgur.com/a/CYOa4bd

Yup; we're seeing the same thing. But it doesn't match what should be the full unrestricted product. Glad it's not just me. 🙂

1 hour ago, rightseat said:

Yup; we're seeing the same thing. But it doesn't match what should be the full unrestricted product. Glad it's not just me. 🙂

I do prefer it to native V5 Miami scenery.. so I'm happy to have it installed :smile:

Bert

I installed the Miami X scenery earlier (FSX:SE user) and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't the total slideshow I was fearing. Yes there were some stutters (I should really get an SSD !), but overall I was seeing a believable Miami (never having been there in person!) with lots of appropriate buildings present in my sim. Thanks DD.

I tried taking off from KMIA with the Aerospool Dynamic light sport aircraft and also blasting off with the SWS Phantom. More stutters with the Phantom due to the complexity and airspeed I guess :biggrin:, but still useable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

8 hours ago, HighBypass said:

I installed the Miami X scenery earlier (FSX:SE user) and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't the total slideshow I was fearing. 

It is a very nice and reasonably realistic looking rendition of Miami which I have seen from the air a couple of times. I was lucky enough (in the good old days when that was still possible) to be able to ride in the jump seat of a Virgin 747 for the approach and landing into MIA (and for the take off on the return flight) and, with those memories forever imprinted on my mind, I bought MIami X when it first came out!

My main issue with MIami X in FSX is that I can sail very close to the 4GB VAS threshold when I use it with some of the more resource intensive aircraft and certainly replicating my flight using the PMDG 747 can be a challenge VAS wise! But that is a fairly common occurrence when city scenery, with all its extra added custom built autogen, is combined with multiple airports in the same region. I also have DD city scenery for Washington DC, New York and Seattle and I have to be very careful when using any of them to avoid an OOM. I have now created individual tailored scenery cfgs and FSX cfgs for these areas using SIMStarterNG depending on whether I am planning to use a resource intensive aircraft or not and this helps. I guess VAS usage in the MIami area is not helped by having the FSDT Fort Lauderdale Airport scenery active just a few miles up the road either!

Bill

• Like 1

Forgive me for going off tangent slightly.

Bill, I try and remember to use sceneryconfig editor - turning off the scenery I don't need such as unnecessary airports and countries. Do you "tweak" any of the sim settings too with your custom configs via SimStarter? Does it incorporate a process killer also? I've never really looked into stopping unneeded processes as I'm not always sure what's required (I do have multiple chrome.exe's and steam.exe's and numerous others).Windows 7 64bit ultimate here.

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Hi Mark,

SimStarter NG has two major components which I make use of - a scenery configurator and a simulator configurator - in addition to some other utilities which I have never really used.

Using the scenery configurator I have created and stored various scenery configurations for different areas I might want to fly within or to and I think I have about 30 of these now. I also have created a number of what I call ‘bare bones’ scenery sets which include the basic scenery library entries required for a particular region and I can then just add my origin and destination airports as I wish without having any other addon airports active. For example I have a scenery set for the British Isles which has the 5 relevant Orbx regions active, one for Europe which has just has Orbx OpenLC Europe active, etc. 

The simulator configurator essentially allows for various FSX cfg sets to be created and stored. In using this configurator you can modify settings for Graphics, Aircraft, Scenery, Weather, Traffic, Realism, etc, etc - basically the various parameters that are controlled by the sliders. I have created a small number of these simulator configurations based on whether I am going to be flying VFR or IFR and whether I anticipate high or low VAS demand. I have also created a test flight profile where everything is pretty well maximised and which I use to check out new aircraft. 

It doesn’t have a process killer (as far as I am aware!). For this I have a utility called Process Explorer and, like you, I frequently find that there are multiple other processes running but I too am never quite sure which ones I can safely stop and attempts at killing some processes in the past have lead to disaster so I rarely use it now! I also use Win7-64bit.

Bill

• Upvote 1

Bill your conversation with Mark is most interesting since I have been getting several OMs lately. Where might I find the simStarter NG and the sceneryconfig editor. It has been very frustrating lately.  

Thanks,

• Like 1

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

21 minutes ago, ctiger said:

Bill your conversation with Mark is most interesting since I have been getting several OMs lately. Where might I find the simStarter NG and the sceneryconfig editor. It has been very frustrating lately.  

Thanks,

Aerosoft Store, PCAviator and possibly other sim stores.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

Scenery Config Editor it's free

http://fs-sceditor.sourceforge.net/index.html

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

1 hour ago, ctiger said:

Thanks,

Hi Carl,

I see your query has already been answered but SimStarterNG also available from Simmarket.  If you opt for SimStarter NG just check that you buy the correct version for your platform because, unlike previously, I note that it is now available in two versions - one for FSX/P3D and one for the later iterations of P3D.

Bill

Thanks all for your help. I still use FSX-SE so I guess the scenery config will still work.

Edited by ctiger
  • Like 1

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________