Sign in to follow this  
jeremyc172

Program that automatically creates texture.cfg files?

Lately I've been losing interest in Flight Simulation, but I still want to keep FSX (and all of my addons) installed on my computer.  However, I want to see if I can "clean up" my FSX installation so that I'll have more hard drive space for other things.

By far, the biggest culprit in my FSX folder is Simobjects- it takes up roughly 26 gigabytes of space.  After looking at various folders, I found that many of the repaints I had installed for each aircraft seemingly included every single texture the model had into their folder, regardless if the repaint modified it or not.  This means that the folder's size itself is unnecessarily driven upwards.  I know that one can make texture.cfg files that redirect the common textures to one folder, so that each repaint folder will only have the textures it needs.  This allows a lot of space to be saved. 

Unfortunately, due to the sheer quantity of repaints and aircraft I have installed, the process of seeking out which textures to remove and copying .cfg files into each and every repaint would take a very long time.  I remember reading a while ago on another thread where some users were talking about a similar issue- and one user mentioned a program that automatically locates shared textures, (or textures that are the exact same but repeated in every folder) deletes them and makes a texture.cfg file redirecting to a main folder.  I spent about half an hour yesterday looking for said thread (and program) but I was unsuccessful.  Anyone have any idea which program this could be?  (If it even exists)

If you have the texture cfg file set up the way you want....

Here's what you need to do...copy this text into notepad and save with the ext "bat".......you will have a gear looking file. Make sure the texture cfg and this bat file are in the main directory for the aircraft so that both are same location. Run the bat as administrator and it will copy that cfg file to every texture....Try one airplane (back it up first) with lots of textures lol and after you run it..look in some of the texture folders and you should see the texture cfg.

for /f "delims=" %%F in ('dir /ad /s /b "*" ^| findstr /irc:"texture.*"') do copy "texture.cfg" "%%F"

Hope this helps,

BobM.

Bob M

On 4/27/2020 at 7:08 PM, jeremyc172 said:

I remember reading a while ago on another thread where some users were talking about a similar issue- and one user mentioned a program that automatically locates shared textures, (or textures that are the exact same but repeated in every folder) deletes them and makes a texture.cfg file redirecting to a main folder.  I spent about half an hour yesterday looking for said thread (and program) but I was unsuccessful.  Anyone have any idea which program this could be?  (If it even exists)

Such a program would be quite risky to use, as some repainters are kind enough to provide textures in their texture folders that carry the same name but look entirely different and are not necessarily for the aircraft exterior. It would need to be able to analyse the texture file size as well as its file name and even then might end up removing files that you want to keep.

I would imagine that you will never look at 85% of your added textures. 

Unless money is very tight, or the computer cannot be upgraded, a better solution might be to add more hard drive space and keep your huge collection.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This might be of some use:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?256150-How-can-I-Alias-to-textures-files

🍻

EDIT - ah the OP wanted to have an automatic process... my apologies.

Edited by HighBypass

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

23 hours ago, Reader said:

Unless money is very tight, or the computer cannot be upgraded, a better solution might be to add more hard drive space and keep your huge collection.

I agree!  Or get an external drive (hard drive, USB stick, etc.) and just stick the sim installation in there.  Especially so if the OP has lost interest in simming but doesn't want to delete everything completely.

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

I have never had an issue with this "bat" and have used it for years.....It beats copying a texture cfg over and over and over.

BobM.

Bob M