Sign in to follow this  

Europe+America airports

Hello everyone!

I hope all of you are staying safe in this difficult times, as a less experianced addon buyer, I was wondering for some advice on sceneries. I'm considering getting an airport for Europe or the North America. 

I purchased Flightbeam KDEN and KIAD as I recently got my first longhaul jet (QW787), however am looking to branch out to more airports. Whilst I would love something like Aspen, ideally a hub would be better. I'm familiar with what's out there yet not really sure what to get. I use the Drzewiecki Design demos but they aren't the best, they just get the job done. I was looking at FlyTampa Toronto but apparently it's heavy on frames.

In Europe I have quite a few airports, a couple Proffessional airports (EGLL, EDDF, LSZH) as well as ORBX LOWI and LEBB, and MKStudios EIDW. I am thinking of a medium sized airport, Something like MKStudios LPPT or Jetstream Designs LIML. Any reccomendations welcome!

Best,

Canine

Edited by Canine Crew

For north America a favourite of mine is Flytampa KBOS, nice approach and just find it an interesting layout as well of course with the usual FT quality.  Also Flightbeam's KMSP is good. 

For Europe, flytampa's Copenhagen is good as is Orbx's ESSA.  Another nice one I picked up last week is Orbx'd LYBE, Belgrade if you want to venture down that way.

Cheers

Edited by StChalky
More info

Stu Bevis

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg PC: i5 8600K @ 5.0GHz, Asus Maximus X Hero, Corsair 16GB @ 3200MHz, EVGA GTX970SC

N. America -

Flightbeam: KSFO, KMSP
FSDT: KORD
FlyTampa: KBOS, CYUL

Europe -

Aerosoft: EDDK (great cargo hub and incredible detail, but can be hard on FPS)
Drzewiecki: EPWA
FlyTampa: EKCH
Pilot's: LEAL

LEBL - Your personal taste will dictate which one to get. Good news is, there are plenty to choose from!

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Canine, the UK2000 airports are well worth looking at. Not too complex so the peformance is decent. Manchester (EGCC) is my local airport and very well presented. http://www.uk2000scenery.com/newsite/My_Homepage_Files/Page1.html

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Aerosoft's Cologne/Bonn (EDDK), Pilot's Almeria (LEAM) and Pilot's Alicante (LEAL) airports are well worth checking out. They are probably the best and most detailed European airport sceneries you can get. One look at the screenshots for them will confirm that these are the visual front runners.

Should you prefer cheap and cheerful airports which are visual improvements over the default scenery, but which don't go overboard on detail in order to get great frame rates, then check out the large range of airports available from UK2000. I agree with Ray here incidentally - EGCC from UK2000 may not be as fancy as the Aerosoft version, but it gets much better frame rates and it looks enough like the real place to convince most people.

If you prefer more of a 'shotgun' approach to a central European locale, and want a big visual makeover to a large region, including, better mesh, photorealistic terrain, custom buildings and improvements to all three of the main airports of Paris, plus tweaks to a good many airfields in the surround region too, France VFR's Paris Ile De France is worth a look. It's a lot of bang for your Bucks for 28 quid (since it is currently on sale), but be aware that with so much having been detailed improved over a vast area, it needs a decent PC to run it at a good frame rate.

I have tested all these with P3D V5 and they do all work in the new version incidentally.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Cheers guys. Aerosoft's EDDK looks really nice, I'm looking at Luton, as I've flown out of there on a fair few grey monday mornings albeit half asleep. Luton seems quite fun as it has a short runway.

I was looking at Flightbeam KSFO, but I heard it was getting a makeover pretty soon. (I also us Gary freeware versions for all of the UK excl EGLL) Right now, it looks like EDDK, CYUL, maybe LPPT.

I've heard of issues with performance at CYUL, is it a real issue. I never really drop below 30 in FSL regardless, I don't know what to think.

EDIT: What about CYYZ?

Anyone with LPPT, is it as good as Dublin. From what I saw on screenshots the terminal looks a bit off..

Cheers for all your suggestions!!

Stay safe,

Canine 

Edited by Canine Crew

Yes EDDK is very nice, even got revolving doors modelled at the entrance to the terminal!  I'm running a fairly old setup now, i5-8600k at 5GHz and a GTX 970 4GB graphics card, and find I'm able to run at decent graphics levels (not 4K though!) at CYUL and CYYZ without it becoming a stutter fest.  V2 of CYUL which came out last year I think had PBR added and other updates too, and despite that it runs better than the first version.  Yes, CYYZ is a bit harder on frames than CYUL but a nice airport so I ignore the odd stutter I get usually when panning the camera or turning during taxi.  And generally, aside from the odd flight in the PMDG 748, I'm mostly in the FSLabs busses so all things considered my system copes reasonably well.  Of course as I say I'm not running at 4K as my monitor can't do that, so might well be more of an issue for anyone that does.

Can't give you frame rates as I don't check.  

Cheers

Edited by StChalky
More info

Stu Bevis

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg PC: i5 8600K @ 5.0GHz, Asus Maximus X Hero, Corsair 16GB @ 3200MHz, EVGA GTX970SC

8 hours ago, Canine Crew said:

[...]

Anyone with LPPT, is it as good as Dublin. From what I saw on screenshots the terminal looks a bit off..

Cheers for all your suggestions!!

Stay safe,

Canine 

I love LPPT. One of my favorite European airports. Personally, I do think think it's as good as their EIDW. It's a little older than EIDW, but definitely a great scenery that, for me, performs very well.

For US hub, you might want to look at ImagineSim's KATL as well. Definitely one of the biggest airport sin the US - and the world! Also performs surprisingly well, given its size and complexity. I also wholeheartedly recommend FB's KSFO - or any other FB release, for that matter! Truly excellent, excellent airports.

• Like 1

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

6 minutes ago, Benjamin J said:

love LPPT. One of my favorite European airports. Personally, I do think think it's as good as their EIDW.

Fully concur with you Benjamin. That was my very first airport from MKS. Since then I've acquired Lanzarote,Tenerife South, Dublin, Fuerteventura.

Also fully agree with Ray and Alan, UK2000's EGCC is good.Bought it as soon as it came out for a lower spec'd machine.

9 hours ago, Canine Crew said:

Cheers guys. Aerosoft's EDDK looks really nice, I'm looking at Luton, as I've flown out of there on a fair few grey monday mornings albeit half asleep. Luton seems quite fun as it has a short runway.

I was looking at Flightbeam KSFO, but I heard it was getting a makeover pretty soon. (I also us Gary freeware versions for all of the UK excl EGLL) Right now, it looks like EDDK, CYUL, maybe LPPT.

I've heard of issues with performance at CYUL, is it a real issue. I never really drop below 30 in FSL regardless, I don't know what to think.

EDIT: What about CYYZ?

We can only give you our general impressions. What works for me, might not be acceptable to you.

IMO be wary of EDDK, for me it brings down FPS on v4. It is, however, one of the best Euro airports.
If you are going to move to v5, performance might not be as big an issue.

CYYZ is a demanding airport. I think everyone agrees on that.

I've had no problems at all with CYUL, including at night. It was buttery smooth, as is KBOS. Yet people have complained about performance 🤷

EIDW is better-looking than LPPT.

All of this is just one person's opinion and YMMV.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

It is worth noting that both Flightbeam and LatinVFR have sales on their sites right now.  I just added EDDN (which is the Captain 7/29 Palms one that's also sold by Aerosoft) from Flightbeam.  You can't go wrong with any of the Flightbeam airports, especially at the sale prices IMO.

LVFR has some medium sized eastern US airports, like KRDU and KBWI; TJSJ (San Juan, PR) is nice, and they have LEBL as well.  LEMD and KMIA are pretty new and on sale, while KFLL is brand new and not on sale.

FSDT KORD is great.

Brand new Flytampa EKCH is on my list, but haven't tried it yet - looks like it has gotten some pretty positive feedback, and I'm quite happy with ORBX ESSA as well.

• Like 1

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

14 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Canine, the UK2000 airports are well worth looking at. Not too complex so the peformance is decent. Manchester (EGCC) is my local airport and very well presented. http://www.uk2000scenery.com/newsite/My_Homepage_Files/Page1.html

Is Manchester V5 capable yet?  I'd like to get it; it looks very interesting.

Stan

Unfortunately I just bought sim wings LEBL! I heard that the Latin Fr wasn't as good, and the performance wasn't great. I hope I made the right call.... 

KORD looks great thought! 

7 hours ago, spilok said:

Is Manchester V5 capable yet?  I'd like to get it; it looks very interesting.

Stan

Hi Stan, yes it is, just logged in and a new installer is available for use with v5, though I haven't gone to v4 yet so can't advise on how it performs

Cheers

Stu Bevis

How is Aerosoft EGCC in comparison?

I've noticed it isn't even v4 compatible.

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]