Sign in to follow this  
Guest byoung

X-BOX version of future FS

Hi guys,concerning your Survey: If Microsoft changes its development exclusively to X-BOX: I will change to another simulation software immediately. In the same second.What's your opinion?Bye,Stefan

Guest panda234

If MS changed today I'd be upset. But I don't see it happening for another 5 years at least and who knows, I might have an xbox by then. billg

Well, it depends on a lot of factors. Most importantly:-We need some good controllers (rudder pedals, yokes, throttles, etc). So for this to work, someone needs to create Xbox controllers, or allow compatibility with PC USB controllers.-Addons. What about addons? We'd need a way to download and install all the 3rd party addons we use. There are obviously lots of complications there. If MS would expect us to fly with only the default aircraft, using only the Xbox controller, I doubt many of us would bother. Honestly I don't think it is anything to worry about at this point.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest panda234

You're right Craig, and that's what I mean by saying I may have one in 5 years. It would have to open to hardware and software addons and prolly some other things I haven't even thought about. But it sure would be nice to add whatever you want and have stunning scenery and high fps. :-)billg

I think this is the crux of the issue; without the add-ons MSFS is nothing more than another game. It's the outside development that makes it into a simulation. I was just in a store the other day and saw the xbox; the graphics are stunning! Having that power in the flight sim would be fantastic. But, without my PMDG737, ASV, etc, I can't see going to xbox being worth the enhanced graphics ability. Mike

Well, going Xbox does not mean no addons for sure. I can download content through Xbox Live right now. Granted nothing as complex as our flightsim addons, but still the technology is already there. I think that is still a big leap, and something we are pretty far away from. Not that it can't be done, but that it might not be worth doing. Because of that, I doubt we'll need to deal with these issues for quite some time.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest Lobaeux4

Also, the 360 comes with USB connectors, I'm sure there'd be no problem hooking up our current USB controllers and using them on XBox 360.Set aside your prejudices, if you've seen the processing power of this new 360, I'd challenge anyone to come up with the same system on a pc at the price of the 360. I heard that MS is losing $100 per XBox 360 sold because of the technology involved.Honestly, doesn't matter what kind of case the flight simulator is run on, imagine what our flight simulator would look like if it was run on 360. High definition, surround sound, it'd be awesome!

Guest byoung

Well, the main benefit of XBox 360 is that Microsoft can optimize the software to the hardware. Should run the same everytime, on every machine!Can you think of how much time the intermediate / advanced simmer tinkers and tweaks their environment. Not too mention upgrading hardware when a new version of FS is released. Personally, I would rather spend time flying then tinkering and tweaking!!!Especially with computer hardware (CPUs primararily) not making a hugh leap over the last few years. The FX series AMD chip looks promising, but it costs a $1000 just for the processor. I (and a majority of the simmers out there) would favor the X-Box 360 version even at $399, if they could guarantee 40-60 FPS with everything maxed, clouds, A/I, ATC, satellite photorealistic scenery. And support High Definition, yea thats the ticket. I would buy an X-Box 360 if FS 2006 was optimized and met the above specs.I wish Microsoft would come out and say Yeh, or Neh on whether they are going to develop FS2006 for the X-Box 360 platform.But like others have indicated, I wouldn't throw away your PC's quite yet. Although, I would plan on upgrading your hardware.Barry

Hi Barry,what's about the poor countries, if Microsoft's developing FS2006 for XBOX exclusively? What if Microsoft's XBOX will be outdated in 12 months by improved hardware power of pcs? What's about the real complex addons and route plannings? What about your software you payed for? EVERYTHING replaced and done as well by Microsoft on XBOX?NEVER EVER!!! In my opinion (and I do not have any special interest in this community), this is an attempt by Microsoft to make more money. They are sick of making more money.Especially the survey, which directs into one special direction by itself, makes me think of especially marketing and product placement, nothing else. I wonder how AVSIM shows the nerves to let itself be abused by company interest directed surveys.Stefan

Guest byoung

Stefan, it is the goal of EVERY company in a capitalist society to make more money. I can't fault Microsoft for that. Since the development of FS2006 started before X-Box 360 was even an idea, I seriously doubt that Microsoft would abandon its current PC platform and dewvelop a X-box 360 version at this point. But I can see them offering it on both platforms. The X-box 360 is selling like hotcakes! If Microsoft follows its philosophy, "do more with a lot more", you are more than likely going to have to buy a new PC. My PC is about 3+ years old, with no PCI Express, no SATA for hard drives, etc. It would be a complete replacement. Many flight simmers are in the same situation.To replace my system with a descent system would take between $700 and a $1000. with a FX-57 based system $1500 - $2000. So to me $399 (in six months they will be cheaper) is a real bargin, provided X-box 360 supports all my hardware and it runs efficiently and has all the features that we are accustomed to. Which it does have USB capability. And, you don't have to TINKER and TWEAK, you can just fly!I think, like all previous versions, you will keep your current version flying for many months, especially until the add-ons catch up. Kind of like X-Plane, you will play and check out the dynamics, but for serious flying you'll revert back to FS 2004 because X-Plane doesn't come close to offering what FS-2004 has. The only difference, I don't think X-Plane will ever catch up.Anyway, my two cents worth.Barry