Sign in to follow this  
dpcnh1

Is 4.5 to V5 Worth it? (opinions request)

Like to get some thoughts on this.  I will preface the question with a little background so that those with similar experience can relate it.

1. My system is I7 9700k / RTX 2070 / 16g ram based.  I really does a fine job with 4.5.  Averages 40-50 fps on nearly maxed settings and nothing less than1 tick below max
2. I fly GA, no commercial complex ACs.  A2A, Carenado/Alabeo, Vertx, Realair, some GA jets, etc.
3. I fly almost exclusively in Orbx covered areas.  All the global stuff, regions, cities and airports
4. I fly with REX Enviro Force and Sky Force, typically live weather for my scenery covered areas that are having bad weather.
5. And finally, I haven't really been simming that much of late but have been closely following and intend to go the MSFS route whenever that happens.  The interest again until then is only because of the arrival of V5.

So, anyone with similar situations, or anyone else that just wants to chime in, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts.  Does V5 make enough of an difference / improvement for the cost and more importantly for the time-cost to rebuild a sim?

Thanks in advance...  Dave

Edited by dpcnh1

37 minutes ago, dpcnh1 said:

Like to get some thoughts on this.  I will preface the question with a little background so that those with similar experience can relate it.

1. My system is I7 9700k / RTX 2070 / 16g ram based.  I really does a fine job with 4.5.  Averages 40-50 fps on nearly maxed settings and nothing less than1 tick below max
2. I fly GA, no commercial complex ACs.  A2A, Carenado/Alabeo, Vertx, Realair, some GA jets, etc.
3. I fly almost exclusively in Orbx covered areas.  All the global stuff, regions, cities and airports
4. I fly with REX Enviro Force and Sky Force, typically live weather for my scenery covered areas that are having bad weather.
5. And finally, I haven't really been simming that much of late but have been closely following and intend to go the MSFS route whenever that happens.  The interest again until then is only because of the arrival of V5.

So, anyone with similar situations, or anyone else that just wants to chime in, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts.  Does V5 make enough of an difference / improvement for the cost and more importantly for the time-cost to rebuild a sim?

Thanks in advance...  Dave

I think everything you mention tells me that you are trying to convince yourself that you want something you don't need. 😀

The short answer is: NO!

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

My system is gtx 970 6700k and I went for it. GA flying . I have so many add-ons like air hauler and fs flying school plus a2a. These are working with A2a soon to be. Go for it for at least the 15 day trial. 

I bouht it on day one, allways want the last version. I do not regret it, it works fine for me on my system.

But only you and your system can give you the answer. We are all different and not two pc's are the same.

Greetings  Kurt

MSFS, X-Plane 12

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 32Gb ram, RX 5700 XT 8Gb ram, 1TB SSD

It is definitely worth it to upgrade, no v4 for me anymore! 

Edited by rob0203

Since it is likely that most of your add-ons will not require repurchasing, that cost at least is either going to be nil or at least fairly negligible. As far as the time to install it all goes, you can set things off installing/downloading and cook your dinner, wash your car or whatever, so that's not an issue either. 

Since you say that you can run V4.5 at almost maxed out settings, I should think there is a very good chance that with V5 actually using your GPU properly, you'd be able to push those sliders all the way. So that's an undeniable improvement right there.

Beyond this, there are several advantages which V5 can offer, notably the potential for very much more sophisticated weather depiction, but also better water depiction if you operate seaplanes and flying boats. Then you also have uneven runways, which is a big thing for GA aeroplane operation, also improved airports, more realistic radio operations, implementation of SIDs and STARs for GPS navigation device displays etc, etc. Too many updated things to list here, although if you watch my video review of V5 I go through them all, alternatively they are listed on the P3D website.

Beyond this, with you planning to probably use the new MS flight sim, there is another reason to look very closely at P3D V5, and that is because it is, from an architectural standpoint, in terms of GPU/CPU/RAM usage, much closer to the architecture of the new MS sim than any previous ESP-based sim iteration, including P3D V4. So in other words, V5 will give you a good idea if your PC will run the new MS sim well or not.

Beyond this, there is of course the cost of purchasing V5, but that's up to you and your wallet.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Yes, go for it, you won't regret it.
As soon as FS Labs will release their Busses for the V5 and Hifi the new AS version, I will definitely say goodbye to P3DV4 and save some good Tb on my hard drives.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Maybe I'm not reading the OP correctly.

He's averaging 40-50 fps. I wonder if that includes FTX London or FTX LA. I doubt it!

He only flies GA.

Exclusively ORBX.

REX EF & SF which are not fully compatible with v5.

and doesn't even sim much.

To me it sounds like someone that wants to be convinced to go for it.

So then, Just do it!

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I have neither P3D4 or P3D5. So, if you are not sure yet of paying a full licence (I won't discuss which one), why don't you try P3D5 developer, one month nonreccuring? It's $10, if I understood correctly...

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Why not just try it, you can get a refund if requested within 14 days of purchase. For me the sim is smoother and I have been able to up some settings, quite content with it and it will only get better when A2A, fslabs, pmdg planes start to roll in.

Do it. Storage is dirt cheap these days. Do a side by side install so you can keep flying 4.5 and slowly build the v5 installation as your addons get updated and LM works on some fixes.

At some point, you'll have v5 set up the same as your 4.5 install and you can make the switch. In the mean time, fly 4.5 and play with 5.  

• Like 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

1 minute ago, julietsierrappl said:

Why not just try it, you can get a refund if requested within 14 days of purchase. For me the sim is smoother and I have been able to up some settings, quite content with it and it will only get better when A2A, fslabs, pmdg planes start to roll in.

Oh, I didn't know that. That's even better than my idea. Are conditions similar to Flight 1? i.e., that refund is with no questions asked?

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

I bought it and then after two weeks decided to get the refund. Ill buy it again when the bugs have been worked out and my addons work. 

Here's the thing for me: I spent a TON of time and effort getting 4.5 to be easily the best simming experience I've ever had. I fly GA as well, mostly around the Caribbean. With UTX Caribbean and a bunch of the island addons, along with EF and SF, I now have a set it and forget it sim. I just load it and go. And it is gorgeous.

To show you what my v4.5 looks like:

Flying to St. Barts

St. Maarten approach

I think v5 will be better in the long run, but right now I just feel like flying, not being my own IT department. (Incidentally, I'm not upgrading 4.5 to HF3 for the same reason - from what I read on here it's broken more stuff than it fixed).

So, in the end I think v5 will be great. But right now I just want to fly rather than beta test. And 4.5 is just awesome. 

Edited by mtr75
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Luis Hernandez said:

Oh, I didn't know that. That's even better than my idea. Are conditions similar to Flight 1? i.e., that refund is with no questions asked?

Yes, it´s a no hazzle deal, ask for it, get it.

• Like 1

Playing Devil's Advocate here.....if you are totally happy with your flight simulation experience in P3Dv4.5, why not carry on enjoying it, and only upgrade when you have to? In other words, when stuff that you really want will only work in v5?

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png