Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Wing Wednesday

On 5/1/2020 at 9:08 AM, MatthewS said:

Do something constructive like find me a screenshot of a generic airport that has an undulating runway, I can't recall seeing a single one and I honestly don't think MSFS has any. I'm not talking about "iconic" airports.

I wouldn't be surprised if undulating runways are supported but need to be built/sculpted. The mesh resolution required to get a smooth result is pretty high. We've all seen some of the xplane runways with mountains in the middle.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, NZ255 said:

The mesh resolution required to get a smooth result is pretty high. We've all seen some of the xplane runways with mountains in the middle.

This is what I think, the XP method is not great if the global mesh has an average resolution for the sake of performance and streaming. And it's not coherent to compile a whole geo tile with higher res mesh to have an airport ground feels like an international airport and not like an offroad track.

As I mentioned previously, I was thinking perhaps the ground layout when traced, it has values to refine the average mesh and make the airport surfaces smoother... Smoothing the mesh underneath with specific values can reduce the radical slopes for sure.

Let's see

• Upvote 1

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

Sorry I don't mean to start (yet another) complex and endless debate but  is it my graphic designer obsessive compulsive eyes or there seem to be a strange cut between the airplane shape and the background? I noticed the white pixels around the edge of the airplane. The initial feeling I had was as if it's a combination of two images. I could be deeply mistaken and tired at this hour so I am not saying it is, but my obsessive compulsive eyes were locked on this effect. 

EXXDuHeUwAYo1-Y?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I see it as well.  Especially in the area where the wing and fuselage join.  Looks composited.

This happens in a lot of computer games (Arma III is a good example). I think it has to do with graphics card drivers. It's probably inevitable tha there will sometime be this effect, but in a moving image with changing point of view, it's usually far less noticeable. Probably not the best choice for a publicity shot (you'd think they'd give their images a good once over before approving them).

Probably has to do with the volumetric atmosphere. P3D has a problem that produces a similar visual artefact but it looks way worse.

On a side note, looks like Airbus needs to improve their Anti-ice systems 😛

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

I think it may be something like a rendering issue with the icing in the picture. Adding some "thickness" to the ice, which it has a hard time rendering. Other than that it looks great!

1 hour ago, Claviateur said:

Sorry I don't mean to start (yet another) complex and endless debate but  is it my graphic designer obsessive compulsive eyes or there seem to be a strange cut between the airplane shape and the background? I noticed the white pixels around the edge of the airplane. The initial feeling I had was as if it's a combination of two images. I could be deeply mistaken and tired at this hour so I am not saying it is, but my obsessive compulsive eyes were locked on this effect. 

I dont think It Is a composition, It Is a real picture of the game so there was some sort of Mask adjustment in the plane, probably for levels correction but It okay, it's probably a marketing thing to have the Whites of the plane look very nice for the picture,  It Is ok and It Is a nice picture.

1 hour ago, Claviateur said:

I noticed the white pixels around the edge of the airplane. 

I think it’s icing.

• Like 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yes it could be the icing mask or something related to the way icing is rendered with that specific GPU that made the contour look like this... Also there is the watermark of the user name over the engine and the landscape... The poor A320 is about to declare an emergency I suppose 🙂

And, I think those are not high quality settings... more like medium probably 

If icing is an overlay, it might be a bit too far from the surface of the plane.

Might be a side effect of a camera depth of field/ simulated focus effect? Notice the plane is slightly blurred.

Edited by NZ255

I'm thinking its related to the icing and how the light is reacting to it.

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.