Sign in to follow this  
scowms32

P3Dv5 scenery.cfg issue: the Saga Continue

After installing P3Dv5, along with Orbx and Flightbeam scenery files.....I started getting an error message stating there was an issue with my scenery file.  I viewed my scenery.cfg files and noticed that the sequential numbering was all out of order.  Also, I noticed that some of the files identified in the scenery library within the sim appeared to be out of order compared to my v4.4 files.  Is there a way I can do a reinstall of my original scenery file?  Also, I noticed at some airports add-on airports the scenery is totally wrong (black blotches, discoloration and missing tiles).

Did you open Orbx Central for some reason? Every time I do I make a backup of my scenery. 

Neither Orbx nor Flightbeam use scenery.cfg to install their products.  Something else corrupted your scenery.cfg; what might that have been?

Almost all developers are now using the SDK recommended method involving an add-on.xml file that is added to P3D in any one of several ways.

Dan Downs KCRP

10 minutes ago, downscc said:

Neither Orbx nor Flightbeam use scenery.cfg to install their products.  Something else corrupted your scenery.cfg; what might that have been?

Almost all developers are now using the SDK recommended method involving an add-on.xml file that is added to P3D in any one of several ways.

I installed the scenery via their programs (orbx central and flightbeam manager) as recommended and this is what I received.  I am not blaming it on their products, but this is what I ended up with.  Maybe I am using the wrong verbiage.  

Edited by scowms32

Can you share  the actual error message with us ?  Did you set the insertion point in ORBX Central ? 

Try FREE: Lorby Prepar3D Addon Organizer

this is a fantastic tool to fix problems with the scenery

• Upvote 1

Jac 

PC Specs: 

/MoBo: Asus Rampage V Extreme/CPU: Intel ®  Core i7 5930k @ 3.5 Ghz OC 4.2 Ghz/CPU Cooling: Hydro series H100i / RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400MHz/ SSD: 4x Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512 GB/SSD: 1x Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB M.2 /PSU: Corsair RM  850

/GPU: NVidia Geforce RTX 2080 Ti OC 11 GB (Asus ROG STRIX Gaming) /Monitor:  Asus ROG 348Q Res, 3440x1440 / OC 100 Hz /OS: Windows 10 Professional 64 bit - Version Build 19041 

FlightSim: P3Dv5 HF2 & MSFS 2020 Hardware: Yoko Yoke+ ; Yoke TQ6+ 

10 hours ago, downscc said:

That is not entirely true, Dan. I installed all of my ORBx software directly into my Prepar3D v4 folder (with ORBx Central), and this was done via the scenery.cfg method (the entries are not greyed out, and they can be enabled and disabled separately).

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

3 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

That is not entirely true, Dan. I installed all of my ORBx software directly into my Prepar3D v4 folder (with ORBx Central), and this was done via the scenery.cfg method (the entries are not greyed out, and they can be enabled and disabled separately).

That is interesting... using FTX Central all of my Orbx are added with add-on.cfg entries per SDK.  Perhaps you have not migrated your products to a library?  That's it.... if one remains in the legacy method by not installing products via an Orbx Library then of course then you are still using the legacy method used by FSX.  Yeah, I've moved on from that a long time ago and incorrectly assumed others have as well.

Thanks.

Dan Downs KCRP

That is good info Dan!  I *just recently moved to the new Orbx Central (from the old FTX Central) so I want to ensure my understanding is correct.   So just to be clear :

- choosing 'install directly into Simulator" will use the legacy method ; 

- choosing 'install into main library" will use XML package method.  

correct ? 

cheers, 

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating

19 hours ago, dick said:

Can you share  the actual error message with us ?  Did you set the insertion point in ORBX Central ? 

I am getting the following message after clicking "ok" to close the scenery library screen within P3dv5 "Prepar3D has detected non-sequential layer ordering within the scenery library list.  Would you like Prepar3D to attempt to repair this issue?"  Even after selecting yes, or going in to fix the ordering, I still get the same error message.

And yes, I did set the insertion point in ORBX Central.  

Edited by scowms32

Are you running P3D as administrator?  Sounds to me like maybe you have a problem with not having write access to some config files.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case