Sign in to follow this  
Darcanlos

Ultralight Aircraft

I am wondering if ultralights might get some love as well seeing how much detail is going into this game. I’m not talking about them being present as that is almost a given (or at least addon aircraft), they have been in all most all flight simulators I have used until now, but the world and rules that apply to them.

I fly ultralight in Spain as they are a lot cheaper to maintain and fly and you are not bound by the often draconic rules applied to general aviation.

I hope they include ultralight airfields, as there are a ton of them, a lot more than airports (at least in Europe). In Spain, there are far more ultralight airfields than airports, and it’s even more in other countries like France or Germany. It would be great to have them in from the start. I am sure they will be depicted somehow as they will show in the scenery straight away, but I am not sure if they will be considered as airfields at all or if they will just be scenery.

Also, ultralights often do not need a flight plan, but are for that bound to flying only daylight VFR and often cannot enter controlled airspace, but there are exceptions.

I don’t think this will even be considered but in many countries we also have a dedicated frequency. Will be interesting to see how they integrate with the rest of the aviation and ATC.

Ultralights nowadays are quite capable aircraft often outperforming general aviation counterparts both in performance, range and even available technology, but most of all they are really fun to fly and require real stick and rudder.

Maybe an alpha tester can at least confirm on the airfields!

Some examples of modern ultralights:

TL-Stream-Slovenia.jpg

38087876144_6632135d35_b.jpg

P921.gif

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Yup, I second this. There are actually many more ultralights about at flying schools these days now that all those Cessnas and Pipers are not only considerably more expensive to run but also beginning to show their age too. And Rotax engines are a lot more reliable these days than they used to be!

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I would like to see something like a Aerolite 103. Low and slow to take advantage of the great vistas.

• Upvote 1

Hi,

My understanding of an ultralight is nothing like the three shown above.

Aren't ultralights the ones that look like hang gliders, with a motor attached? That’s what I want to get in FS2020 

23 minutes ago, mknorr said:

My understanding of an ultralight is nothing like the three shown above.

Aren't ultralights the ones that look like hang gliders, with a motor attached? That’s what I want to get in FS2020 

I don't know about official regulations for other countries than Germany, but in Germany there are 120 kg ultra lights (which I guess is the class you are referring to) and (since an increase of MTOW) 600 kg ultra lights (before the increase, it was 472.5 kg, and these are also the ones mostly flying around; tbh, with 600 kg, these ULs are not "really" ULs anymore in my opinion, but instead quite similar to LSAs, but the 600 kg ULs are flyable with a national (non EASA conform) UL license while LSAs are not).

Edited by MarioDonick

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Hah! The first thing I, indeed, noticed. After hours of fun in FSX with the motorized hang glider in ORBX scenery, I réally miss it in FS2020. The drone is fine for sightseeing..but it’s different.. not as satisfying somehow.

Funny thing I noticed with the drone: Any Southern English people here? Check out Lynton&Lynmouth.  It has appartment buildings now.. who knew.. 😆

( they’re my favourite vacation spots, hence me checking them out the móment I got the sim running.)

51 minutes ago, stefbuik said:

Any Southern English people here? Check out Lynton&Lynmouth.  It has appartment buildings now.. who knew.. 😆

Nah, we're all from up in the Grim North. We only buy airport sceneries where you can tie up your whippet and only buy planes which have enough headroom for you to fly them whilst wearing a flat cap and which have a holder for our pies. 🤣

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

About those pies: in open Ultralights they dó give me some extra propulsion.. 😛  Evil, EVIL pies!

But, yeah. Sùch beautiful scenery, and no low&slow craft to leisurely putt-putt around with a nice 40kts @ 300 ft. While taking in the sights ( and sound, by the way! ) What a waste.

buuuut.. having said that, I wouldn’t be too surprised if a whole bunch of ultralights popped-up at the Marketplace. The whole MSFS2020 revenue model seems to be geared towards selling addons withìn the game.

Edited by stefbuik
  • Like 1

Personally, I'm hoping that the Ants Airplanes Drifter Microlight makes it into MSFS. That is one of the best FS add-ons there is; cheap as chips for a payware, has a free demo, looks great, flies pretty much right on the numbers, can land almost anywhere and offers an unrivalled view of the scenery.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury