Sign in to follow this  
Jason Steel

Approach issue

I've just started getting into FSX. I'm doing the Transitioning to Jets tutorial. When I'm on my final approach my nose is up & I can't see the runway which means I'm playing a guessing game trying to land. Any advice would be great.

35 minutes ago, Jason Steel said:

I've just started getting into FSX. I'm doing the Transitioning to Jets tutorial. When I'm on my final approach my nose is up & I can't see the runway which means I'm playing a guessing game trying to land. Any advice would be great.

It sure what jet your flying but if the nose is pitched so high that you can’t see the runway that would suggest that you need to apply some power. Possible that your weight is too high as wel, too much fuel is likely. More weight, not enough power, very high pitch up to keep altitude. Usually airliners approach with around 2.5 or so degree of pitch. 

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks for the reply. I think you're right with the lack of power. The tutorial says to reduce speed to 130knots (too low?) but I seem to be trying to compensate by lifting the nose.

17 minutes ago, Jason Steel said:

Thanks for the reply. I think you're right with the lack of power. The tutorial says to reduce speed to 130knots (too low?) but I seem to be trying to compensate by lifting the nose.

If your flying one of the default jets and are loaded up with fuel and have a higher weight you’ll need more power. Usually when landing you won’t have more than 10-15% fuel left which would account for a lower speed. More weight however, you’ll need more speed on approach to control the proper pitch and decent (600-700 fpm).

This also is apparent when people take off with a fully loaded jet and take it right to 35,000 feet and wonder what they are cruising with the nose pitched up 5-10 degrees, it’s due to being too heavy at that altitude and not having enough speed to stay aloft without pitching the nose up that high. 

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I have flown this Mission many times.  There should be no reason that there is too much fuel on board.  I will run it later this morning and check out the condition.  Are you using a joystick and is it calibrated.  If you are approaching nose up then you are probably too slow and getting ready to stall.  get your speed up to 140 knots on approach and hang in there!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I'm using the Saitek Yoke which I've calibrated however I have noticed that I'm constantly pitching & pulling to try & keep level flight. I'll try re-calibrating & increase speed on approach on my next attempt. Thanks for advice.

If your aircraft weight and approach speed is correct, then you may have descended too low for the distance remaining to touch down. As a rule of thumb, & this is not dead accurate (just an easy reckoner), use the following calculation (I keep a card showing these figures all the way down from cruising altitude):

a.  if you are 18 nm from the runway, then your altitude should be 6000 ft (if the runway is at sea level or close to it; allowance of course needs to be made for higher elevations).

b.  if you are 9 nm, then 3000 ft. ;   6 nm, then 2000 ft. ;  3 nm, then it would be 1000 ft.   

So, as you can see, we take the altitude, knock off the zeros & multiply by 3 to give you your distance. 

If you're too low, then the effect you're now having (to keep pitching up to maintain a level flight/slower descent) is the other cause for too high pitch.

Chris

• Like 1

I just re-flew the Mission.  Fuel is not an issue as it's at about 35% total fuel load with about 3500 lbs in the wings and 0 in the main center tank.  I know the co-pilot "suggests" keeping your approach speed at 130knots but I suggest that 140knots is a little easier to maintain.  Keep practicing and when you think you are getting it, then check the little box underneath the Missions and start the flight and make changes to it, like change the time of day to night  time and the weather to stormy!

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

On 5/3/2020 at 12:30 PM, Angels40 said:

If your aircraft weight and approach speed is correct, then you may have descended too low for the distance remaining to touch down. As a rule of thumb, & this is not dead accurate (just an easy reckoner), use the following calculation (I keep a card showing these figures all the way down from cruising altitude):

a.  if you are 18 nm from the runway, then your altitude should be 6000 ft (if the runway is at sea level or close to it; allowance of course needs to be made for higher elevations).

b.  if you are 9 nm, then 3000 ft. ;   6 nm, then 2000 ft. ;  3 nm, then it would be 1000 ft.   

So, as you can see, we take the altitude, knock off the zeros & multiply by 3 to give you your distance. 

If you're too low, then the effect you're now having (to keep pitching up to maintain a level flight/slower descent) is the other cause for too high pitch.

Chris

On 5/3/2020 at 5:26 PM, charliearon said:

I just re-flew the Mission.  Fuel is not an issue as it's at about 35% total fuel load with about 3500 lbs in the wings and 0 in the main center tank.  I know the co-pilot "suggests" keeping your approach speed at 130knots but I suggest that 140knots is a little easier to maintain.  Keep practicing and when you think you are getting it, then check the little box underneath the Missions and start the flight and make changes to it, like change the time of day to night  time and the weather to stormy!

These both really helped thanks...made a couple of decent approaches & landings. Still not too happy with the plane nose pitching up when the Yoke is centralised but it's manageable. I need to learn about ATC, navigation, auto pilot & flight plans but any recommendations as to where to progress from this mission?

Jason,

If you're still having trouble with a 'higher than normal' angle of attack (aoa), when on approach, manually flying at the correct approach speed & the yoke is centred, could it be you have not trimmed the aircraft for landing?  As you incrementally lower your flaps, the pitch of the aircraft will alter:  to counteract this effect in your situation, you will need to apply downward trim.  On the B744 which I only fly, the effect is the opposite (as also verified by a retired Cathay B744 pilot), in that the aircraft tends to pitch downwards as flap angle increases.  So, identify the buttons mapped to Elevator Trim (down/up), & make small adjustments as needed to maintain a proper aoa at the correct speed.

Chris

16 hours ago, Jason Steel said:

Still not too happy with the plane nose pitching up when the Yoke is centralised but it's manageable

That's what trim is for: to relieve this trend. In this case, apply a bit of Nose Down trim.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

On 5/7/2020 at 10:52 AM, Angels40 said:

Jason,

If you're still having trouble with a 'higher than normal' angle of attack (aoa), when on approach, manually flying at the correct approach speed & the yoke is centred, could it be you have not trimmed the aircraft for landing?  As you incrementally lower your flaps, the pitch of the aircraft will alter:  to counteract this effect in your situation, you will need to apply downward trim.  On the B744 which I only fly, the effect is the opposite (as also verified by a retired Cathay B744 pilot), in that the aircraft tends to pitch downwards as flap angle increases.  So, identify the buttons mapped to Elevator Trim (down/up), & make small adjustments as needed to maintain a proper aoa at the correct speed.

Chris

On 5/7/2020 at 3:43 PM, Luis Hernandez said:

That's what trim is for: to relieve this trend. In this case, apply a bit of Nose Down trim.

Thanks for the above...I'll try on my next flight