Sign in to follow this  
Isaac Toh

P3d v4.5(HF3) Performance (Fixed & Unlimited FPS)

Ever since I have reset my PC, I have started to experience some minor performance issue with the P3D v4.5 with HF3 applied. 

Some PC's brief stats and P3D addons as below 

• 8700k oc to 4.8, hyerthreading is off 
  • 16GB memory
  • GTX 1080Ti 
  • 3440x1440, 120hz monitor
  • AffinityMask=63
  • Activesky
  • Rex skyforce
  • Envtex & Envshade
  • Chaseplane
  • Orbx base pack & vector

7YsELMy.png

Nq6LS01.png

With a fixed frame rate at 30, I'm experiencing micro stuttering with 17fps to 20fps in cockpit when I fly the approach into WSSS and VHHH (both are add on) with PMDG 777.Cruising is fine with fps close to 30. 

With an unlimited frame rate, I'm getting slightly above 30 fps but at times, it dips below 30fps briefly and recovers to smooth approach again. 

Under both conditions, my CPU 0 is consistently at 100% with the other 5 CPUs averaging about 20% according to Resource Monitor. Memory usage is about 60%. 

Seeking your enlightenments on why there is a significant difference in frame rates between the fixed and unlimited frame rate setting? Since I am able to achieve a near 30fps or higher when I'm parked in unlimited frame rate, I assume the performance will be similar in a fixed frame rate setting. I read that having a fixed frame rate would allows P3D to perform optimally since it does not need to output a high fps at all times But this doesn't seem to be my case. 

With the graphic options as above, it seems that the CPU 0 is pretty much stress at consistently 100% loading. Is this normal or I'm doing something wrong/too high expectation for the 8700k?   

Thanks for your advice. 

I don't understand why you got an 8700K and disable HyperThreading. It should be on and the AffinityMask, if you do use it, should be 85 for a 6 core HT CPU. I had one before the Ryzen 7 and had all sliders to the right and still had better performance than the one you're getting with a 1070Ti (and later with a 2070 SUPER).

That CPU should perform much better than that independently of locked or unlocked framerate.

Edited by Nuno Pinto

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Your FPS drops with FPS limiter enabled because P3D gives higher priority to terrain loading (FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33) - lower framerates.

With FPS to UNLIMITED, it gives priority to higher FPS by putting less PC resources into terrain loading. FPS are higher in this case but you might have blurry terrain (FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01).

Edited by Branimir

I7-10700 (4.8 GHz with HT enabled)

2x16GB DDR4 3600MHz 

Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super OC Gaming

16 hours ago, Nuno Pinto said:

I don't understand why you got an 8700K and disable HyperThreading. It should be on and the AffinityMask, if you do use it, should be 85 for a 6 core HT CPU. I had one before the Ryzen 7 and had all sliders to the right and still had better performance than the one you're getting with a 1070Ti (and later with a 2070 SUPER).

That CPU should perform much better than that independently of locked or unlocked framerate.

It has certainly improved the performance with a AM=85. 

I checked and the AM85 is having 4 cores.

Probably I try moving the add on to the last 2 cores and evaluate the performance again. 

16 hours ago, Branimir said:

Your FPS drops with FPS limiter enabled because P3D gives higher priority to terrain loading (FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33) - lower framerates.

With FPS to UNLIMITED, it gives priority to higher FPS by putting less PC resources into terrain loading. FPS are higher in this case but you might have blurry terrain (FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01).

Thanks, your elaboration helps. 

7 hours ago, Isaac Toh said:

It has certainly improved the performance with a AM=85. 

I checked and the AM85 is having 4 cores.

Thanks, your elaboration helps. 

Actually i made a mistake as the 6 core HT CPU should have 1365 instead 😛

But since P3D doesn't really need (as of now) so many cores, even on 4 it'll perform really well.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Hi Isaac,

looking at your settings I'd highly recommend lowering your autogen building setting to medium. It is a real performance killer together with side effects like autogen popping.

Would love to hear how it helps...

CPU 9900K @5GHz, RTX3090 Suprim X, 32GB RAM @3600MHz, WIN 10, P3Dv5.3HF2, 4K 40“ Monitor @30Hz

15 hours ago, Nuno Pinto said:

Actually i made a mistake as the 6 core HT CPU should have 1365 instead 😛

But since P3D doesn't really need (as of now) so many cores, even on 4 it'll perform really well.

I see a marked improvement with AM85.

I'm planning to try 1365 (6 cores on, all LPs off), akin to having HT off, right? 

14 hours ago, Avi8tor said:

Hi Isaac,

looking at your settings I'd highly recommend lowering your autogen building setting to medium. It is a real performance killer together with side effects like autogen popping.

Would love to hear how it helps...

Thanks for your feedback. 

eversince FSX, any finite limiter will give me way lower FPS than I set.....

7 hours ago, Isaac Toh said:

I see a marked improvement with AM85.

I'm planning to try 1365 (6 cores on, all LPs off), akin to having HT off, right? 

Thanks for your feedback. 

Those affinitymask values are for the processor with HT on.

On 5/4/2020 at 9:50 AM, Nuno Pinto said:

Those affinitymask values are for the processor with HT on.

Hi Nuno,

I have just purchased the Ryzen 3700x and RTX 2070S Ram 3200mhz DDR4 16GB running at 2133Mhz (not oc), but my fps is always below 30 fps when lift up off the ground.

I have SMT enabled / High Perf power plan / maximum GPU set in NCP

My settings are not high, as autogen draw distance is Medium and the rest is also medium,

you have any reason why ? and with your 3700X how many fps you have ? 

My 3700X runs at 4.4Ghz with 3600Mhz RAM so its performance is rather high. I also use an affinityMask and an undervolted 1080Ti (0.973V core instead of 1.250V) which results in a higher clock of around 2.1Ghz. I can get to 80-90fps flying at altitude with either PMDG NGXu or QW's 787 for example. It can go as low as 30-35 on ground with ORBX's Australia v2 and YMML which is extremely heavy on frames. Still, always stutter-free and smooth.

My settings are extremely high, i only lowered tree autogen to one point below maximum and building autogen TWO points below maximum but that's a matter of taste. Everything scenery is at max, shadows, etc and i have boats, cars and yachts or whatever it's called all at 15%.

Eight cores do help 🙂

52 minutes ago, Nuno Pinto said:

My 3700X runs at 4.4Ghz with 3600Mhz RAM so its performance is rather high. I also use an affinityMask and an undervolted 1080Ti (0.973V core instead of 1.250V) which results in a higher clock of around 2.1Ghz. I can get to 80-90fps flying at altitude with either PMDG NGXu or QW's 787 for example. It can go as low as 30-35 on ground with ORBX's Australia v2 and YMML which is extremely heavy on frames. Still, always stutter-free and smooth.

My settings are extremely high, i only lowered tree autogen to one point below maximum and building autogen TWO points below maximum but that's a matter of taste. Everything scenery is at max, shadows, etc and i have boats, cars and yachts or whatever it's called all at 15%.

Eight cores do help 🙂

what is your AM value ? 

I have SMT on, mask 21845.