Sign in to follow this  
rsperge

Need advise/stay with intel or move to ryzen

Since my computer crashed few months ago, will be getting new setup in July

I have been flying for at least last 15 yrs with Fsx.

In the past I have always been an intel buyer 

I do plan on overclocking, is there any reason why I should use a Ryzen processor over an intel 10700k or even a 10900k ?

For flight sim, stick with Intel.  Intel still has a large clock speed advantage and a small IPC advantage in most workloads, it all adds up to higher FPS in games and sims.  

Thus if I overclock go with Intel

My past computer was an 3770k and nividia 780gtx.

I plan on going thus with a 10700k, or 10900k, with a nividia 2080

U here so much publicity about the Ryzen but looked up and saw they overclock to 4.6ghz

Thus, I can assume since this new setup will be targeted for flying u need the faster processor

22 minutes ago, rsperge said:

Thus, I can assume since this new setup will be targeted for flying u need the faster processor

Yes.

Also remember, when you pick your video card, get the card with the most video memory you can reasonably afford.   2080's usually have 8GB, right?  That would be the bare minimum if I were building today.  Ideally we want more vram -- I'm hoping the next gen of mainstream video cards will have more than the 8/11GB we have been dealing with.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Meh, I'm happy with a Ryzen, mine's even an older one, but I hear the new ones are pretty much able to keep on par with Intel in single core results.

https://hothardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-vs-core-i9-9900k-ipc-shootout

The bigger advantage of Intel with regards to flight sims has been a higher overclock ability rate, but that may change with the newer release sims able to span out and use more CPU cores more effectively.

My Ryzen was a nowhere near the cost of an equivelent Intel (in Australia at least) and meant I could spend some of my budget elsewhere.

And I certainly get some smooth flight out of it.

P3D v4.5 HF2 Maximum detail and performance tuning test at Sekiu 11S

Cheers

Edited by Rogen

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

If you run with 4k res you probaly be GPU bound even with a 2080TI.

I happens to have 2 P3D systems up and running both with similar hardware. GPUS 2080TI ,mems 3600mhz  32gb , NVME 1TB on both systems.

the diff is MoBo and CPU , PC1 Intel 9900k OC 5.3ghz , PC2 AMD Ryzen7 3700X 4.3ghz

very hard to see any difference if any, atleast at 99.8% of the time a fly.

what you think is best is up to you , this is my personal thougts tested the way i like to have my sim , 

its funny its lot of guys outhere that know intel or amd is the best without having a 9900k or AMD Ryzen speculating on new INTEL or AMD cpus.

Edited by westman
  • Like 2

Well at least I now have couple of months to decide from intel or Ryzen

In all my years of flying been using the intel nividia combination 

Upon reading all these reviews on the internet. 10th generation getting so so reviews.  AMD\Ryzen 3900x 3800x 3700x seemed to definitely have closed the gap

I know with FSX we all had to overclock are computers.  Recently I read in a couple of places that with Flight Simulator 2020 the emphasis will be more on the gpu.  Thus, I will be buying 2080

So now I am wondering what would be the price difference between 10700k vs 3800x. But then10700k you could overclock to 5.0ghz, while with 3800x be about 10% slower

This will be a tough decision!!!!   It seems the flight sim community have mostly gone with Intel

You will not have long to wait on Intel results before the end of the month testers have them but are under NDA, more important AMD may not be cheaper in the future wait and see.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

7 hours ago, Rogen said:

Meh, I'm happy with a Ryzen, mine's even an older one, but I hear the new ones are pretty much able to keep on par with Intel in single core results.

https://hothardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-vs-core-i9-9900k-ipc-shootout

The bigger advantage of Intel with regards to flight sims has been a higher overclock ability rate, but that may change with the newer release sims able to span out and use more CPU cores more effectively.

My Ryzen was a nowhere near the cost of an equivelent Intel (in Australia at least) and meant I could spend some of my budget elsewhere.

And I certainly get some smooth flight out of it.

P3D v4.5 HF2 Maximum detail and performance tuning test at Sekiu 11S

Cheers

I have a 9900k system for gaming, and a 3950x system for video editing.  In lightly-threaded workloads, the 9900k is faster.  In well-threaded workloads, the 3950x is faster.  I've even tested video editing workloads on the two systems and while the 3950x comes out ahead, it's not by anywhere close to the 2x factor one would expect, more like 40%.  

Ryzen 3000 is great (again, I have one) and I highly recommend it for just about any workload, but if you want the fastest chip for gaming/simming, Intel is still the way to go.  The difference is smaller than it used to be, and it is commendable that AMD has achieved this condition, but objective benchmarks show Intel still has a small IPC advantage in games, and a non-arguable clock speed advantage.  

• Like 1

TechguyMaxC

Thats pretty much what I have been reading lately

Amd has basically closed the gap against Intel

Yes a 10700k. would be more expensive than a Ryzen 3800k, 100.00 or so. Flip side, Intel higher overclock, give u more frames,  but now going back to Ryzen able to use more cores. In addition 10th generation is old technology,  unless u want to wait till early next year for 11th generation, new technology.  Ryzen is offering new technology now.

What a debate u can go back and forth.

It's difficult to change flight sim community always. standard was intel, overclocking!  My 3770k was great, got about 8-9 yrs out of it

Like I said before, have till July make my decision.  Bring on all your suggestions positive and negative, why should I leave intel and switch to Ryzen, when this computer will basically be for Microsoft flight simulator 2020.

Some early reports are showing the 10900K running at 5.4GHZ on all cores on a AIO cooler, again until the NDA is lifted to check all the testers result to back this up.

Raymond Fry.

3 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

Some early reports are showing the 10900K running at 5.4GHZ on all cores on a AIO cooler, again until the NDA is lifted to check all the testers result to back this up.

To be fair, it's literally one chip, just every tech site is parroting this info because it's the ONLY overclocking sample we have right now.

For me, as a 9900k owner running comfortably at 5.0GHz with low voltage, an extra 2 cores and 8% higher clocks aren't worth the $500 for the chip + $300 or so for a new motherboard.  I'm waiting until next generation.  Anyone with an older chip though, by all means look at the 10900k.  

Theres ryzen 4000 coming as well, which could make things very interesting

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

4 hours ago, TechguyMaxC said:

To be fair, it's literally one chip, just every tech site is parroting this info because it's the ONLY overclocking sample we have right now.

For me, as a 9900k owner running comfortably at 5.0GHz with low voltage, an extra 2 cores and 8% higher clocks aren't worth the $500 for the chip + $300 or so for a new motherboard.  I'm waiting until next generation.  Anyone with an older chip though, by all means look at the 10900k.  

Yes for me the Z390 MB would not be a wise choice, I have to change my MB and CPU anyway, but I will wait till later in the year I have P3DV5 running OK.

Raymond Fry.