Sign in to follow this  
rsperge

Need advise/stay with intel or move to ryzen

Looking at this myself, got to say the Ryzen is very tempting (even though I have always had Intel) - with the budget I've got it's Ryzen vs 9th gen i5 - vast improvement over what I have for p3d, and somewhere between recommended & ideal for 2020......

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

One of the reasons why I am still leaning towards Intel not much of a game changer from 9th to 10th generation.

For me personally I would be going from a 3770k 4.2ghz overclock, to 10700k 5.0ghz, about 20% increase on performance

It's extremely tempting to go with a Ryzen. On a overclock with a Ryzen, 3700x. or 3900x, probably get about the same as I got on my 3770k for an overclock 4.2ghz. Then again the temptation of Ryzen u r getting new technology, and the use of more cores.

The  key point for me,:   Getting this new computer basicallyfor Microsoft flight 2020.

Yes I will definitely go with Nividia 2080 or 2070 super overclock.

But then key question for me will flight simulator be more computer driven or graphic driven. Fsx which I had from 2006 and a ton of addons. was computer driven, didn't matter what graphic card was running.

7 hours ago, rsperge said:

For me personally I would be going from a 3770k 4.2ghz overclock, to 10700k 5.0ghz, about 20% increase on performance

You're getting a 20% increase in clock speed. Given IPC improvements I'd estimate an equal gain in IPC on top of that. Comparing clock speed between processors is unwise.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

When MSFS goes DX12 and I say when could be years then your GPU will be a bigger factor. The latest on AMD zen4 will need a new MB 5OO Series.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

On 5/7/2020 at 3:16 PM, rsperge said:

Yes I will definitely go with Nividia 2080 or 2070 super overclock.

That's about to change too.  New gen of nVidia cards, that is.  So unless you just gots ta upgrade this week, consider that the next gen of cards might be better for future proofing a new system, particularly in light of the trend of modern sims using more gpu than ever before.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

There is no such thing as future proofing with a computer.  There is always a new CPU platform, new motherboard chip set, and new graphics card just around the corner. 

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

5 hours ago, stans said:

There is no such thing as future proofing with a computer.  There is always a new CPU platform, new motherboard chip set, and new graphics card just around the corner. 

Sure.

Except this time, the new products have been announced, and are days away from hitting store shelves.  In the case of 10 series Core CPUs from Intel, at least.  RTX 30 series cards could still be months away, but given the decreasing rate of GPU releases over the past decade or so, I would say it might not be a bad idea to hold off there also.  After all, 4-7 months is certainly closer to today than 2+ years is for the launch of the presumptive RTX 40 series.  

I'm also in the dilema of choosing between AMD RYZEN or stick to Intel's upcoming i9-10900K. I've always been using Intel for my computer builds and feel nervous about switching to AMD. ATM I'm leaning towards the i9 10900K.

Would like to hear from others in the flight sim community on what CPU platform they're gonna go with for their next build. My build will be primarily for the upcoming MSFS 2020. In the meantime I'm trying to hold off on purchasing the motherboard until I figure out what CPU to go with.

What would be the equivalent on AMD's side to Intel's i9 10900K? Would like to do some comparisons. But results won't come out until May 20th.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Without a very large and expensive CPU cooler, the 10900k promoted boost clocks of 5.1Ghz to 5.3Ghz just cannot be reached.  Intel even says this is so.  The leaked article shows a heat test using Aida FPU.  Running at its stock all core boost of 4.8Ghz, using a moderate AIO cooler, the temps hit 92c with an average of 87c.  That is HOT.  I too wanted this CPU too for a new built to retire my 4770k build, but I now seriously doubt it.  Will instead be considering the 10700k, and maybe even waiting it out for Zen 3.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

41 minutes ago, TheFamilyMan said:

Will instead be considering the 10700k, and maybe even waiting it out for Zen 3.

Is the i7-10700K equivalent to the current i9-9900K in terms of performance and features? I'm also either considering getting the i7-10700K vs the i9-10900K due to the heat issues, either that or wait for the AMD Ryzen 4000 series. It's a really difficult choice. If I stick with Intel's comet lake CPU which will require a Z490 motherboard that doesn't support the new PCIe 4.0 while AMD's motherboards does. And I heard that the upcoming ampere GPU's from NVIDIA will be PCIe 4.0, if that's the case, then getting a Z490 motherboard is a big waste of money.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Aside from the frequency differences, the 10700K has two fewer cores and 4 MB less cache. We really don't have a clear indication of what the thermals will look like under a standard load on either of these CPU models.

8 hours ago, TheFamilyMan said:

Without a very large and expensive CPU cooler, the 10900k promoted boost clocks of 5.1Ghz to 5.3Ghz just cannot be reached.  Intel even says this is so.  The leaked article shows a heat test using Aida FPU.  Running at its stock all core boost of 4.8Ghz, using a moderate AIO cooler, the temps hit 92c with an average of 87c.  That is HOT.  I too wanted this CPU too for a new built to retire my 4770k build, but I now seriously doubt it.  Will instead be considering the 10700k, and maybe even waiting it out for Zen 3.

I don't see the need for a good amount of cooling as a barrier to purchase for this particular PC component release.  

There's an entire segment of the PC enthusiast community that regularly spends thousands of dollars on cooling.  Everyone else in the enthusiast space has long ago acknowledged that the need for adequate component cooling is a necessary part of any PC build, $100-$180 for a good AIO isn't going to break their bank.  

Edited by TechguyMaxC

TechguyMaxC, we're both saying the same thing, though I consider $100 or more for cooling as expensive.

My barrier isn't the cooling, it's that the i9 10900k, right out of the box at its stock clocks, is pushed to the wall in both thermals and power consumption.  I'll be mightily surprised (and also relieved) that on May 20 when the reviews hit the streets we learn otherwise.  To me it seems like a rather desperate release, thus my hesitation.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

MSFS is optimised for ryzen even xbox series x is with ryzen this is why they said Ryzen 2700x or intel 9800X 

the ryzen 2700X is much older and cost less than 9800x .

So the best trade is ryzen zen 2 or wait 2 3 months for zen 3 

• Like 1

My best content 👇                

spacer.png                              

R7-3800XT // 32Gb@3200 // B550 TUF// NVIDIA 3090 FE // 1TB 980Pro M.2 // Seasonic GOLD GX-850W // Philips OLED 804 // YOKE Honeycombe + Throttle X52 Pro // Windows 10