Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Generation Gap...

Brilliant!

I guess those young guys have never watched any 60's, 70's or 80's cop show re-runs..or any movies from those eras..:biggrin:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Funny !

On the other end of the age / communications scale I took an Ipad over to my parents before the lockdown so we could keep in touch with facetime....I may as well have taken them over an Airbus A350 and said fly that to New York.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

When I was young, every call we got was a crank call. 

Our number was two longs and three shorts.  The system was common battery signaling where one crank got the operator, two shorts got the local store.  One guy's call was four longs and two shorts because we had 24 people on the party line.  Our number was 24x3.  The system worked thru all kinds of weather unless the wind blew down a tree that took out the exposed wires.  I still have a land line that usually works even when the local cell system goes down.

The down side of the old system is that it didn't support Google.

Jim Driskell

• Like 1

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

Either those guys are really dumb or it is not genuine. There's two clues straight away for them which survive even into the current parlance: The Dial Tone, and the fact that it is called 'dialing a number'. From this one ought to be able to deduce that you need a dial tone before starting to dial a number, and the word dial should make it obvious what you have to do. Additionally, there is the fact that if you've seen any film or TV show set before about 1980 where a phone is used, unless one is tapping the receiver and asking for the operator, this should make it apparent what is done.

Can't say I miss the old phones, it was annoying if you dialed a long number and your finger slipped out of the little hole when you were dialing the last digit.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

And man was long distance expensive. I remember when I was a  lonely  GI getting a fist full of quarters to call my girl (now my wife) from a pay phone at the PX. 75 cents for the first three minutes then a quarter for every minute after. Not a small piece of change for a soldier but the high lite of the week.

• Like 1

Vic green

I guess these two aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. But it's obvious that you're going to need a minute to operate most older 'tech' like that if you've never done it and have never seen anyone do it. If I didn't know phones like that I would also be looking at it for a minute to figure out how to use this. If you told me to operate a telegraph I would also look like an word not allowed in front of the camera. The world moves on, older tech becomes obsolete, isn't used by younger people and they won't know how to use it. Not really surprising. Same with new tech that older people have never used before. Or just put a non-aviation-enthusiast in a cockpit and have a laugh 🙂. Just wondering what the point of videos like these is.

Edited by threegreen

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

1 hour ago, PATCO LCH said:

And man was long distance expensive. I remember when I was a  lonely  GI getting a fist full of quarters to call my girl (now my wife) from a pay phone at the PX. 75 cents for the first three minutes then a quarter for every minute after. Not a small piece of change for a soldier but the high lite of the week.

When I was in Korea my parents sent me 15.00 so I could call them from the PX phone on Christmas.  That was the charge for 3 minutes.  I got to talk to Mom and Dad for a minute and a half a piece.

But consider this.  At that time you could mail a letter for 3 cents.  Now it cost 55 cents.  And you can call anywhere in the world now for pennies.

Noel

• Like 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

34 minutes ago, threegreen said:

Just wondering what the point of videos like these is.

Just to make us old folk feel a bit better when the youngsters laugh at us for not knowing how to use iPhones.  Call it payback.

Noel

• Like 2

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

31 minutes ago, birdguy said:

When I was in Korea my parents sent me 15.00 so I could call them from the PX phone on Christmas.  That was the charge for 3 minutes.  I got to talk to Mom and Dad for a minute and a half a piece.

When I was in Korea (during the early sixties) I phoned home via the MARS station in Camp Casey and got a phone patch from a generous amateur radio operator in Arizona who dialed my parent's phone in Alexandria, Virginia and allowed us to talk for fifteen minutes.

This terrific gentleman was K7UGA, the late Senator Barry Goldwater! :) During the Vietnam War he was a Military Affiliate Radio System (MARS) operator. 

• Like 3

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

When I was in Korea (during the early sixties) I phoned home via the MARS station in Camp Casey and got a phone patch from a generous amateur radio operator in Arizona who dialed my parent's phone in Alexandria, Virginia and allowed us to talk for fifteen minutes.

This terrific gentleman was K7UGA, the late Senator Barry Goldwater! 🙂 During the Vietnam War he was a Military Affiliate Radio System (MARS) operator. 

Man I wish he had won in 1964.

• Upvote 1

Vic green

3 hours ago, Chock said:

it was annoying if you dialed a long number and your finger slipped out of the little hole when you were dialing the last digit.

That's why we had Trimphones in the 70's :tongue: (they had keypads for anyone who doesn't know, and an unmistakable ringtone! :dry:).

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

2 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

Man I wish he had won in 1964.

Me too.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Have you ever noticed that it's always the wrong candidate that wins.

Noel

You know you getting old when you try to use the car fob to unlock your hall door or dial a phone number on the TV remote control. I've done both of those thing.😁

Oh, I've held the TV remote control under my chin while dialing a phone number on the big old Texas Instruments calculator that used to be on my desk

Edited by Quasimodo
  • Like 1