Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Phising Anyone?

What could go wrong if I were stupid (or careless) enough to click this link? :laugh:

FGgek.png

Gosh! That sure looks legit...

Further irony is in the text above this link:

The security of your PayPal account is a top priority for us and we want to work together to help protect it.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I thought that you were referring to the link to this thread from the forum. 🧐

"Sicerely?"

Completely aside from the spelling and other grammatical errors, hovering one's mouse over a link will display the actual link address at the very bottom left.

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

7 minutes ago, n4gix said:

"Sicerely?"

Completely aside from the spelling and other grammatical errors, hovering one's mouse over a link will display the actual link address at the very bottom left.

you has to be more easie. Them China people has done bee sick.

Much Happy you

Sicerely....Sam

• Upvote 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Have you reported this to PayPal, my PayPal account was hit some months ago will never use them again, I only set an account for flight sim but they refused to refund when used on a EBAY account, something I have never used or have account for EBAY confirmed this.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Even PayPal Support is 'PxxPxx' and I'd thought asides from the atrocious phishing attempt, that was a dead giveaway?

I get a handful of these every day - for a variety of websites and services, but PayPal is a favorite.  I've been collecting all the not-quite-ready-for-primetime text, just to entertain myself.

I use one e-mail address for online forms and transactions, which effectively turns it into a killing channel for spam.  My other accounts are for real people and real business.

59 minutes ago, Alan_A said:

I use one e-mail address for online forms and transactions, which effectively turns it into a killing channel for spam.  My other accounts are for real people and real business

Been doing precisely that for eons, since IE 5 days. Webmail spots spam miles away and bins it.

• Like 1

How about this one?

CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA
OFFICE OF FOREIGN REMITTANCE DEPARTMENT
CBN HEADQUARTER ANNEX, TINUBU SQUARE
TINUBU LAGOS NIGERIA.
TEL:234-01-743-2771
EMAIL ADDRESS:info.remittancedpm@gmail.com

YOUR IMMEDIATE CONTRACT PAYMENT
                                CONNTRACT#MAV/NNPC/FGN/MIN/2011

From the records of outstanding beneficairy due for payment with the Federal Government of Nigeria,your name and company was discovered as next on the list of the outstanding beneficaries who have not yet received their payments.

I wish to inform you that your payment is being processed and will be released to you as soon as you respond to this letter. Also note that from my record in my file your outstanding contract payment is US$12 000,000.00 (twelve million United States dollars).Kindly reconfirm to me the followings:

1) YOUR FULL NAME:
2) ADDRESS, CITY, STATE AND COUNTRY.
3) PHONE, FAX AND MOBILE
4) COMPANY NAME (IF ANY) POSITION AND ADDRESS
5) BANK NAME
6) BANK ADDRESS
7) ACCOUNT NUMBER
😎 SWIFT CODE/ ROUTING NUMBER
9) PROFESSION, AGE AND MARITAL STATUS
10) COPY OF YOUR INT'L PASSPORT/DRIVERS LICENSE

As soon as this information is received, your payment will be made to you in a certified bank draft or wired to your nominated bank account directly from Central Bank of Nigeria.

PLEASE UPON THE RECEIPT OF THIS MAIL,KINDLY CONTACT THE OFFICE OF FOREIGN REMITTANCE DEPARTMENT AND YOU ARE ADVISED TO REPLY WITH THE REQUESTED INFORMATION ON THE BELOW EMAIL ADDRES CONTACT (info.remittancedpm@gmail.com) FOR URGENT ATTENTION.

YOURS FAITHFULLY
MR,PHILIP BROWN

MANAGER FOREIGN REMITTANCE DEPARTMENT CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA

INFORMATION ON THE BELOW EMAIL ADDRES CONTACT (info.remittancedpm@gmail.com) FOR URGENT ATTENTION.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Careful. Frankly, I doubt their sicerity 🤣

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

10 hours ago, n4gix said:

hovering one's mouse over a link will display the actual link address at the very bottom left.

Careful, that link also shows everyone here your real email address. You might not be bothered but I thought I better highlight it.

Alan, you for got to mention their 'Signed by Prince Whatever-my-name-is' on such bank letters, et al!!!🤣 Explains how a one-time 5th largest producer of oil went from basket case to beggar State !!

5 hours ago, tutmeister said:

Careful, that link also shows everyone here your real email address. You might not be bothered but I thought I better highlight it.

True, but since it is a screenshot it is not possible to auto-harvest like it would be were it in plain text. In any case my real email address has been around and widely known for nearly two decades now, so it's a bit late to worry about it... :laugh:

Fr. Bill    

The bad spelling and other obvious pointers are usually done deliberately.

If a phishing or scam email looks perfectly legitimate, the scammer will be swamped with replies, most of which will have been sent by people who very rapidly will realise what's going on. Scammers don't have time to waste on intelligent recipients. Spelling mistakes, bad grammar, absurd sums of money from third-world governments, off-kilter banners et c. are a very effective way of ensuring they only hook people who are likely to succumb.

• Upvote 1