Sign in to follow this  
ntydk

Saitek Throttle Quadrant TQ HE Sensors Upgrade Installation

Finally my project to give the bad potentiometer infected Saitek Throttle Quadrant a second life is completed.

I have produced three separate video to demonstration the conversion process by discarding the defective potentiometers

and upgrade the Throttle Quadrant  to a Hall Effect sensor version. 

Here are the links on YouTube:

Part 1 of 3 - Disassembling a Saitek Throttle Quadrant

Part 2 of 3 - install the HE sensors

Part 3 of 3 - Testing and Calibration

Thanks for watching.

• Like 2

I was actually thinking (or rather daydreaming...) about the same thing few days ago, glad someone actually did it!

For me the problem is I really don't know how "direct" could a hall sensor replace potentiometer without changing the chips, I know I can do it with a mmjoy platfrom but that means I'll have to reassign too many games and FSUIPC profiles...  Your solution on REV detent is brilliant.

Just wonder if it could still be calibrate by the saitek driver? or I have to get rid of it and calibrate manually as you do.

Edited by C2615

Hello C2615,

So glad for your interest in my project.

To my understanding (with very limited electronic training), this HE sensor does not need any modification to Saitek TQ controller board for both PS2 and USB version.

The HE sensor is just a voltage divider but in transistor nature like the mechanical potentiometer does.

The proper connection to power and ground are critical to HE sensor, otherwise the sensor will be overheated and burnt.

I have performed the calibration on this HE sensor in (1) Windows 8/10 calibration drivers alone, (2) FSX (non steam version) and (3) Xpalne 11 calibration screens

the windows 8/10 and Xplane is the winner with better and easy calibration than the FSX.  As always the FSX has some imperfect performance.

I do not know the reason why the FSX has this result.

The necessary step I will recommend is totally clear the old calibration data sitting in the REG in your computer system then re-calibrating with the HE senor unit installed.

Here is link:

Hope my reply is helpful to you.

Hi thanks for your great work, looks promising. However, you completely lost me at installing the Hall Effect sensor part because it is not well documented. The following things are unfortunately not covered:

* What sensor and switch did you use/what parts are required for the project?

*What does the sensor assembly look like? How is it embedded in the lever assembly?

I look forward for your reply!

Edited by saitek_pilot

Hello saitek_pilot,

The sensor is a linear hall effect sensor which can be found in Google by searching A3503. The switch is a micro push-on switch.

Please see my post "Saitek Throttle Quadrant parts - DIY soldering HE kit" in this forum for the 3D printed parts that are used in the upgrade process.

Thanks for your interest.

5 hours ago, ntydk said:

Hello saitek_pilot,

The sensor is a linear hall effect sensor which can be found in Google by searching A3503. The switch is a micro push-on switch.

Please see my post "Saitek Throttle Quadrant parts - DIY soldering HE kit" in this forum for the 3D printed parts that are used in the upgrade process.

Thanks for your interest.

Thanks for your reply, it is more clear now. I thought you modified the original lever assembly but you modified it with 3D printed parts. Are the files for these 3D parts available?

Edited by saitek_pilot

Hello saitek_pilot,

The 3D printed files are not released to public. 

in order to re-capture my development, material and supplies costs, I will make a few kits from my left over parts for sell.

In fact this 100% reimbursement fees will be spent to purchase more tools (recently ordered a CNC 3018 machine) and parts for more coming interesting projects.

Norman

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 3:34 AM, ntydk said:

Hello saitek_pilot,

in order to re-capture my development, material and supplies costs, I will make a few kits from my left over parts for sell.

In fact this 100% reimbursement fees will be spent to purchase more tools (recently ordered a CNC 3018 machine) and parts for more coming interesting projects.

Norman

Understandable, thanks for the great work. I will think about it!

On 5/23/2020 at 9:34 PM, ntydk said:

Hello saitek_pilot,

Norman

Have you ever considered selling a product where you order the logitech unit.  Mod it with the hall sensors, then sell it?  Or even having people send you their throttle units, mod then return?

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Hello micstatic,

Currently I am enjoying to make the kits in my free time (mostly during weekend).

To offer a full complete upgrade service does not work for me now.

I am sure my dear wife will never approve this.

Thanks for your suggestion.

4 hours ago, ntydk said:

Hello micstatic,

Currently I am enjoying to make the kits in my free time (mostly during weekend).

To offer a full complete upgrade service does not work for me now.

I am sure my dear wife will never approve this.

Thanks for your suggestion.

oh yes.  I understand as somebody who also has a wife that has to accept this time consuming flight sim hobby i have

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Hi Norman,

Do you still have any kits left and if so how do I order & what is the cost?

Rgds

Martin Short

Hi Martin,

Yes, the kit is available.

May I ask "Do you have any basic electronic and soldering skill?"

This Saitek TPM HE kit will need those skills to install.  Of course I will assist you if you need help.

You can contact me at "ntydkhe@yahoo.com" for questions.

Thanks for your inquiry and support.

Cheers,

Norman