Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

This is why we need 2 different sims

Fast forward to 27 min. and watch what happens as the aircraft approaches the runway. Look at the lighting.

This is P3D v5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAsS-gJRSMw

XP 11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFoOMaA5OgE

The P3D v5 approach could have been significantly better he would have chosen XP11 to do the flight.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Xp looks fantastic but the lighting is a little over done and p3d is way underdone

• Like 2

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

That XP lighting is pretty incredible, I must say. Very impressive!

• Like 2

A realistic representation of what a pilot would see with his own eye would probably something in between the two.

The X-Plane version looks more like the effect of a video camera compensating for low light so, it's more similar to an aviation video, but not so much to what you, as a pilot, would see in real life. The cross-screen effect surely is not something you see, unless you put such filter on the camera lens. Great for YouTubers, of course.

And, of course, the P3D V5 video uses default lights, while in X-Plane two separate add-ons have been used to improve lights: "Reshade" and "Better Street Lights"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

That X-Plane lighting is waaaaaay over the top though. Real life nightflying in to an airport does not look like flying towards a rave...

Better than P3D, in some ways, in others not.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, virtuali said:

A realistic representation of what a pilot would see with his own eye would probably something in between the two.

The X-Plane version looks more like the effect of a video camera compensating for low light so, it's more similar to an aviation video, but not so much to what you, as a pilot, would see in real life. The cross-screen effect surely is not something you see, unless you put such filter on the camera lens. Great for YouTubers, of course.

And, of course, the P3D V5 video uses default lights, while in X-Plane two separate add-ons have been used to improve lights: "Reshade" and "Better Street Lights"

Agreed i think if the light were a bit more striking in p3d v5 ie not so dull would be a good representation of real life

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

The XP11 lighting in the video is being enhanced by Reshade. There are presets available with less glow, but the glow is what makes it so realistic. There's a video in YT that show a pilot and Co-Pilot making an approach in Chicago on a Cessna 172 and you can see the glow in the distance. Lighting can be spot on in XP 11 with the right Reshade preset.

Has anyone noticed the pauses on approach in the P3D v5 video? My XP 11 is silky smooth on approach and landing.

Edited by DJJose
  • Like 2

XPlane lighting looks entertaining, but as others have noted, it looks like you are on finals to the set of Saturday Night Fever.

• Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I think that P3D v5 lightning looks the most realistic (even better than XP11) from a flight student perspective.

I7-10700 (4.8 GHz with HT enabled)

2x16GB DDR4 3600MHz 

Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super OC Gaming

17 minutes ago, Chock said:

XPlane lighting looks entertaining, but as others have noted, it looks like you are on finals to the set of Saturday Night Fever.

One of my favorite movies. 😃

2 minutes ago, Branimir said:

I think that P3D v5 lightning looks the most realistic (even better than XP11) from a flight student perspective.

Its just missing a little dynamic illumination but its close for sure

Wayne such

3 minutes ago, Branimir said:

from a flight student perspective.

That has not flown at night yet?

1 minute ago, DJJose said:

You are right, haven't started the night rating yet. But daylight lightning looks fantastic!

I7-10700 (4.8 GHz with HT enabled)

2x16GB DDR4 3600MHz 

Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super OC Gaming

7 minutes ago, DJJose said:

And you have only seen YT-Videos so far. Looks like a case of tie at the moment 🙂

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

1 hour ago, DJJose said:

Fast forward to 27 min. and watch what happens as the aircraft approaches the runway. Look at the lighting.

This is P3D v5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAsS-gJRSMw

XP 11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFoOMaA5OgE

The P3D v5 approach could have been significantly better he would have chosen XP11 to do the flight.

In this video the XP lighting is over the top and not realistic looking.  If reshade allows for turning down the light flare then XP would be more realistic.