Sign in to follow this  
Balint Szarka

P3D V5 Hotfix 1 not utilizing GPU

Hi guys,

Just before I'd dive into the reason I am writing here I am going to leave my specs first:
CPU: i9 9900K OC'd to stable 5Ghz, hyper threading OFF, GPU: nVidia Geforce RTX 2070 Super 8Gb Vram, RAM: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz and lastly my motherboard: ASUS® ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING.

Running the latest version of Windows 10 and the latest nVidia Studio Driver.

No tweaks applied to CFG file and only ORBX stuff (EU OLC, NA OLC, SA OLC) installed

So the story:

After doing a clean install of P3D V5 hotfix 1 as recommended by LM (also deleting all the files associated with the previous install) I noticed that my GPU usage is back to how I used to see it in V4 which is obviously very strange... While the sim is running great I am suspicious about this behavior.
Task manager is showing usage of about 4 per cent to the max of 10 per cent. Also, my CPU usage increased to 100 per cent suffocating the first core (exactly like if it was V4). I would like to add that I tried turning Texture Streaming ON and OFF to see what is the difference but no difference whatsoever. I run P3D V4 and V5 with frame rate locked within the sim and texture resolution of 2048. As a note the RTM version of V5 ran perfectly and utilized all the GPU power available.

Could anyone shine a light on what I am doing wrong or if someone noticed that same things that I have?

Any help would be appreciated!

Edited by Balint Szarka

Balint Szarka

CPU Intel i9 9900K OC'd to 5Ghz

RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 16GB)

GPU 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER

Use something like GPU-Z to check load. I heard Task Manager doesn't show the correct load for P3D for some people. Also, if your GPU was only utilized 4%, you would probably be getting around 2FPS.

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Task Manager display is simply wrong. Beau Hollies elaborated on this on the Lockheed Martin forum. 

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Another thing to try, is limiting your fps in nvidia NCP and leaving it at unlimited in P3D, that will dramatically lower your CPU load.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Thank you guys for tips. I will try that tomorrow 😉😊

Kind regards,
Balint

Balint Szarka

CPU Intel i9 9900K OC'd to 5Ghz

RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 16GB)

GPU 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER

I can confirm that the Task Manager doesn't show the correct GPU use, at least for me.  The Task Manager on my system indicates GPU use of around 4 to 5%, while, GPU-Z should GPU usage anywhere from 60 to 90+ percent depending on the moment.

Danny

• Like 1

Danny