Sign in to follow this  
ark

Nvidia Control Panel vs Nvidia Profile Inspector

I'd like to make sure I correctly understand the relationship between some of the Nvidia utilities.

1. My understanding is Nvidia Profile Inspector and Nvidia Control Panel do the same thing; Nvidia Profile Inspector is 'just' a GUI that makes it convenient to adjust the Nvidia Control Panel settings. Correct?

2. When you load P3D, the Nvidia profile for P3D (perhaps modified by the user) is automatically loaded as well. Correct?

3. As best as I can find, the latest version of Nvidia Profile Inspector is ver DmW 3.5 (don't know what the DmW stands for), and the latest version of Nvidia Inspector is 1.9.7.8. But when I open the Profile Inspector from within Nvidia Inspector, I get Nvidia Profile Inspector ver 2.13, not ver 3.5.  Should I care?

4. Are there any generally accepted tweaks to the provided standard P3D Nvidia profile for P3Dv5 HF1?

Thanks for any insights on all this.

Al

Edited by ark

Back in the day, you could achieve settings in Inspector that were not available in NCP... like 8XS AA..

Nowadays, NCP has improved to the point where I do not see the need for Inspector anymore..

Bert

1) NPI and NCP do the same tasks... tweaks driver settings.  NPI does so much more than NCP.  Having said that, I use both because each has features that are easier to use/preffered.

2) What is loaded could be called a "profile", but the reality is that what is being loaded when the sim starts are registry settings made by the user through NPI, NCP or both.  Neither NPI or NCP need to be running to load a "profile".  I have the "Nvidia Disply Container LS" service set to "Manual", and only start the service (and the NCP) when I wish to tweak a driver setting using NCP.  Same goes for NPI... make a tweak, save the Profile again (in NPI) and then the application can be closed.  The registry setting is modified when you resave the Profile.  Done!

3) DmW stands for Dead man Walking, a fork of the orginal NPI.  I used the DMW versions for a while but have returned to Orbmu2k's orginal version.  The latest is 2.3.0.12.  Downloads can be found Orbmu2k's Github page.

4) Sorry, can't help there... I've not gone to v5 yet.

HTH,

Greg

• Like 1

Bert, Greg, thanks for the info -- very helpful. I get the impression that none of the NPIs are an official Nvidia app, but rather third party apps provided by others.

Al

Edited by ark

2 hours ago, ark said:

I'd like to make sure I correctly understand the relationship between some of the Nvidia utilities.

1. My understanding is Nvidia Profile Inspector and Nvidia Control Panel do the same thing; Nvidia Profile Inspector is 'just' a GUI that makes it convenient to adjust the Nvidia Control Panel settings. Correct?

2. When you load P3D, the Nvidia profile for P3D (perhaps modified by the user) is automatically loaded as well. Correct?

3. As best as I can find, the latest version of Nvidia Profile Inspector is ver DmW 3.5 (don't know what the DmW stands for), and the latest version of Nvidia Inspector is 1.9.7.8. But when I open the Profile Inspector from within Nvidia Inspector, I get Nvidia Profile Inspector ver 2.13, not ver 3.5.  Should I care?

4. Are there any generally accepted tweaks to the provided standard P3D Nvidia profile for P3Dv5 HF1?

Thanks for any insights on all this.

Al

Hi Al:

One of the best tweaks I ever made was going to NCP and selecting "High Quality", and ended tweaking there. I spent years tweaking with NI and tweaked myself into mediocre performance. The "High Quality" setting delivered great graphics and high frames.

30 minutes ago, Wink207 said:

Hi Al:

One of the best tweaks I ever made was going to NCP and selecting "High Quality", and ended tweaking there. I spent years tweaking with NI and tweaked myself into mediocre performance. The "High Quality" setting delivered great graphics and high frames.

I'll check to see if I have that set -- thanks.

Al

4 minutes ago, ark said:

I'll check to see if I have that set -- thanks.

Al

I think it is under "Manage 3D Settings" with the little whirling whirligig....:)

Correction: "Settings With Preview"....

Edited by Wink207

10 minutes ago, Wink207 said:

I think it is under "Manage 3D Settings" with the little whirling whirligig....:)

Correction: "Settings With Preview"....

Yep, Texture Filtering is set to High Quality.

Al