Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Is there no way to disable Win 10 updating itself?

My question has more to do with asking you what have you done to trouble-shoot this? "Manage Sound Devices" tells me some things about you hardware. W7 tells me things about your hardware. Should everything that worked in W7 also work in W10? That would be nice, but we know that is not always the case. I have to assume that you have the latest W10 drivers, and not the latest that your hardware will allow. I've certainly run into that for things that should not be a problem. 

After some updates,W10 resets some things to default and I have to go through an change them to my liking. But I can see no way that an OS could stop audio. A weakening or bad connection or developing short, makes more sense to me. W10 powers things differently. Have you tried different speakers? Does the same thing happen with headphones? I've worked around electronics long enough to know that if something works after you plug it back in, that it is some kind of connection or component problem. I'll bet you have,too.

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

49 minutes ago, bobbyjack said:

Manage Sound Devices

Done so many times I have lost count.

49 minutes ago, bobbyjack said:

latest W10 drivers,

Let 1909 Update update the drivers

51 minutes ago, bobbyjack said:

After some updates,W10 resets some things to default and I have to go through an change them to my liking. But I can see no way that an OS could stop audio. A weakening or bad connection or developing short, makes more sense to me. W10 powers things differently. Have you tried different speakers? Does the same thing happen with headphones? I've worked around electronics long enough to know that if something works after you plug it back in, that it is some kind of connection or component problem. I'll bet you have,too.

I'll take this on board(forgive the pun) and investigate. Thanks.

6 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

Most people won't be affected by this. It wont stop you running 32 bit software in the 64 bit version of Windows 10.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Nobody will be affected by this, & it most certainly NOT affect FS2004, as the far majority of us has a 64bit version Windows 10, & a 32bit program such as  FS2004 works.32bit software are forward compatible.

The main difference (basically) between 32 & 64bit is that a 32bit operating system is that a 32bit OS can only address 4GB of RAM, including graphics RAM. So, anything more that 4GB will not be used.

A 64bit OS can address 8, 16 32GB ram as well as GPU ram without limitations.

So, G_RFRY, your  comment that everybody is having  FS crashing then it`s windows update, is NOT correct at all!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

18 hours ago, vc10man said:

Done so many times I have lost count.

Let 1909 Update update the drivers

I'll take this on board(forgive the pun) and investigate. Thanks.

I don't think "Manage Sound Devices" has ever worked for me either. MS trouble shooters used to be more useful than they are now. My computer has different built in software for audio adjustments. Even my desktop that I put together. That computer has two 3.5mm audio inputs nest to each other. One works better for audio output than the other. Don't know why but I just go with it.

When you have Windows search for drivers, it searches an MS repository. It may or may not have the newest drivers. As always, it is best to double check the device manufacturers site.

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

17 minutes ago, bobbyjack said:

I don't think "Manage Sound Devices" has ever worked for me either. MS trouble shooters used to be more useful than they are now. My computer has different built in software for audio adjustments. Even my desktop that I put together. That computer has two 3.5mm audio inputs nest to each other. One works better for audio output than the other. Don't know why but I just go with it.

When you have Windows search for drivers, it searches an MS repository. It may or may not have the newest drivers. As always, it is best to double check the device manufacturers site.

Thanks for all that, Bob. Again, sound was perfect for the PMDG 747-8i at Flightbeam's KPHX when all off a sudden prepping up, with GSXL2 fuel bowser,the audio just goes off. It's so, so frustrating.😡

5 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Most people won't be affected by this. It wont stop you running 32 bit software in the 64 bit version of Windows 10.

Yes at the moment for present W10 users but future OEM W10 installs will not run 32bit software, Developers are aware and do not do 32bit software any more, in a couple of years old 32bit games will not run and the compatibly mode will not be available. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

On 5/14/2020 at 10:42 PM, G-RFRY said:

Yes at the moment for present W10 users but future OEM W10 installs will not run 32bit software

It’s only OEMs that will be restricted to the 64 bit version. The 32 bit version will still be available to retail customers. Even then, that doesn’t mean the future 64 bit versions won’t still run 32 bit software (using wow64) in the same way that the current 64 bit version does. It’s only 32 bit processors which will not operate with the 64 bit version, not 32 bit software. See: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/05/14/the_end_really_is_nigh/

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

When I was at school, we were taught "comprehension" in our language classes. It meant that we were able to read and at the same time, absorb the facts that were written. It seems that this "skill" is becoming more and more rare.

Edited by Reader

Intel and AMD could put the final nail in the 32bit coffin by not supporting it some time the future, and the way things are progressing highly likely.

Raymond Fry.

2 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

Intel and AMD could put the final nail in the 32bit coffin by not supporting it some time the future, and the way things are progressing highly likely.

Erm... You do realise that 32bit hardware will no longer be supported, & not 32bit software?

In other word, no more Windows 10 32bit 4GB PC's.

I;m sure you are, or should be aware that 32bit software runs within a 64bit operating system. That will carry on. 

So, for most of us, probably all, it's totally irrelevant what Intel or AMD does.. 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

1 hour ago, Wobbie said:

Erm... You do realise that 32bit hardware will no longer be supported, & not 32bit software?

In other word, no more Windows 10 32bit 4GB PC's.

I;m sure you are, or should be aware that 32bit software runs within a 64bit operating system. That will carry on. 

So, for most of us, probably all, it's totally irrelevant what Intel or AMD does.. 

MS will stop supporting 32bit software in the future not my words MS.

Raymond Fry.

22 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

MS will stop supporting 32bit software in the future not my words MS.

I’m not saying you’re wrong because I don’t know for sure, but it makes no sense to stop supporting it. It’s already a part of the OS and, as far as I’m aware, running 32 bit software does no harm to Windows (or MS) so what would be the point of disabling it? You’d just stop a lot of popular, useful software from running for no good reason. Maybe if Windows went 128 bit somewhere in the distant future it might make slightly more sense, but even then, I’m not so sure. If you have a link to any statement from MS, I’d be genuinely interested in reading it.

Edited by vortex681

G-RFRY, May I correct you.. It's a 32bit operating system, that will no longer be supported, NOT 32bit software!! Vortex681 is quite correct! as is Reader's comment above...

From PC World..

The writing’s on the wall for the 32-bit version of Windows. Microsoft won’t offer Windows 10 May 2020 Update rolling out later this month to PC makers in 32-bit form, with the minimum hardware requirements now mandating the 64-bit version, as spotted by Neowin.

Fear not, though. While Microsoft’s phasing out the 32-bit version of Windows in new computers, it’s not killing 32-bit software support.

That’s a key difference, though the eradication of 32-bit Windows shouldn’t matter for the vast majority of programs and virtually all semi-modern PCs. 64-bit processors have been the standard for years now, and most modern software supports them. Some software still comes in 32-bit form so that it can play nice with people running 32-bit versions of Windows, however, including key programs like Razer’s Synapse, Nvidia’s web helper service, and Microsoft’s own OneDrive app on my own Windows 10 system.

Regardless, it’ll all still work just fine on your PC, new or old. That’s the beauty of Windows’s strong legacy support.

(The above from https://www.pcworld.com/article/3543841/dont-panic-microsofts-phaseout-of-32-bit-windows-wont-kill-32-bit-software.html?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Title%3A Don't panic%3A Microsoft's phaseout of 32-bit Windows won't kill 32-bit software&utm_campaign=PCWorld Top Stories %40PCWorld&utm_term=Editorial - Top Stories %40PCWorld&utm_date=20200516065055)

• Like 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...