Sign in to follow this  
SorensenDK

Very low FPS on a top-system using viewgroups

Hi all.

I have just finished setting up a 220 FOV visual with three projectors, using fly-elise blend/warp software using P3D viewgroups.

Unfortunately I experience rather low framerates, and even though I know it is hard to get very good FPS with three views on a single PC setup, I would expect more performance on my setup. I think other people have better performance on systems that has lower specs than mine. So any suggestions to investigate if something is wrong, or upgrades etc would really be appreciated.

System Specs:

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero Z370 ATX
I7-8700K 3,7 GHz (running 4,3 GHz)
2 x EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Ultra, No SLI, but 2 projectors on one and 1 projector + another monitor on the second.
2 x 1TB Samsung 970 Evo m.2 SSD HD
16 gb G Skill DDR4 PC 3000 CL 15 
Corsair Hydro Series H150i Liquid CPU Cooler
Windows 7 - 64 bit

I am running P3D v4.5. I have most CPU graphic settings, as autogen scenery complexity etc set on the low side. The GPUs does not seem to have any problems, so it seems to be the CPU that is the bottleneck. I could upgrade to a I9 9900k, but would that really boost the system that much? I have around 50 FPS on low-standard scenery airport (stading on rwy at EKAH) and 15 - 30 on add-on airports and even lower on scenerys like Aerosoft EGLL. 

I also need to have vertical sync, but selecting this option on P3D, I get very low FPS, aorund 5 - 8 FPS? This cannot be normal? Any suggestions?

As said, I would like to hear other simmers/cockpitbuilders experiences on their setups, tips on how to benchmark my setup, increase performance, upgrade suggestions etc. Anything that could help me getting more performance.

If you need more info/data just let me know.

I thank you all in advance

/Bjarne 

Hi again.

Have been investigating and searching om the fourm, and tried installing MSI Aftyerburner to get some data. And this is really weird. When monitoring GPU/CPU usage and FPS, parked at EGKK I get the following results:

GPU1 usage 22%

GPU 2 usage 35%

CPU Usage 12%

D3D11 ? (Should be FPS) 50 FPS

BUT - my P3D on runs 12,5 FPS???

My system is no where near using its resources, or what am I missing?

Best Regards
Bjarne

I'm not sure to be honest.  For initial troubleshooting the only thing I can suggest to try would be to take out the 2nd video card and run all 3 projectors off the one card. Separating the viewgroups over 2 separate cards is something I haven't heard been done before.

Also what projectors are you running?  3 4k native projectors would also cause these low framerates.

Edited by Garys

Thanks Gary. I dont think that is the problem, as GPU is actually not struggling - but maybe it would be better to rund i SLI? Maybe I should move the topic to another forum when GPU is running fine 😉 

On the surface it looks like its ok, but you have set your system up far differently from anyone else I know, so Fly Elise and Nvidia surround may not be playing together nicely. Its a quick test to put all 3 video outputs on the same card and make the changes in the software. Perhaps it makes no difference. If it doesn't then you can then look at other things like hyperthreading etc but It's definitely something I would look into, as I mentioned your visual config is not the norm.

Thx. I will try to use only one GPU and see if this has an effect. I am not using Nvidia Surround as I understand it is not very good for setting up a wrap-around view? How is your setup, specs and FPS?

/BS 

I'm also using FlyElise and viewgroups but I use NV surround. I have a 8086k @5gz 1080ti. That system is just for visual only so I don't have any other monitors in place. I don't push the visuals very hard so I don't have anything on ultra high settings but I'm not on low either.  I haven't set a frame rate limit so it does fluctuate depending on the airport/scenery complexity but I have never had frame rates dip into single digits like you are seeing- high teens low 20's min. My setup is smooth for the most part but having bad weather conditions does tax the video card and that's when I see those lower frame rates.  I don't use dynamic lighting at all either.

Let us know how you get on, once you rule out that setup you can move onto other things like pushing the overclock a little further, memory issues, cfg tweaks etc.

12 hours ago, Garys said:

I have never had frame rates dip into single digits like you are seeing

But as you said, you are using nvidia Surround, a whole different game. FWIW I have seen a report from LM that the shift to DX12 shows benefits for multi-screen (actually multi-view) setups, so perhaps that's where salvation lies. I too run a x3 viewgroup, for which I have to endure low frame rates.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

22 minutes ago, MarkDH said:

But as you said, you are using nvidia Surround, a whole different game. FWIW I have seen a report from LM that the shift to DX12 shows benefits for multi-screen (actually multi-view) setups, so perhaps that's where salvation lies. I too run a x3 viewgroup, for which I have to endure low frame rates.

As I understand, multi-view is only an option on the professional plus version of P3D which is not really viable for the hobbyist. 

Let me ask, If setting up view groups with NV surround possibly yields better results, why would you not look at networking another pc into the setup for ancillary monitors and programs?

13 minutes ago, Garys said:

As I understand, multi-view is only an option on the professional plus version of P3D which is not really viable for the hobbyist. 

Let me ask, If setting up view groups with NV surround possibly yields better results, why would you not look at networking another pc into the setup for ancillary monitors and programs?

I think you are confusing viewgroups with multi-channel, I run a viewgroup with the Academic version. Not sure what the second part means. I guess you might use a Surround display as one view in a viewgroup but in general we avoid Surround because wide views create too much distortion.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

1 hour ago, MarkDH said:

I think you are confusing viewgroups with multi-channel..

Not at all. Multi channel uses several networked PC for displays. We can do that already with a program called wideview.

Fly Elise corrects for any distortion. That is the intended purpose of the program. 

Just to add though, I think we are comparing apples to oranges in the way to setup a 220 fov external view using FlyElise and 3 projectors as opposed to the setup of multi monitors of different size and resolutions using a number of viewgroups. I have really no experience in the latter as I run multiple PC for the internal cockpit displays.

Edited by Garys

9 hours ago, Garys said:

Not at all. Multi channel uses several networked PC for displays. We can do that already with a program called wideview.

Fly Elise corrects for any distortion. That is the intended purpose of the program.

So I don't know what point you were making about pro Plus. Wideview isn't LM's multichannel, which is the thing that needs Pro Plus. As for correcting distortion, I wonder if that only makes sense for edge blending multi-screen displays with relatively small distortion. It seems to me that unwarping a massively-distorted Surround view (like a typical 5:1 aspect triple screen display) necessaily degrades the image because it has to stretch and/or crop it.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

A question for those of you that has a wraparound using viewgroups. Do you have three or four windows? When I export my Fly-Elise viewgroups I get the three views used for the projectors, and then one main-view with the menubar. I would like to only have three views, where one of the projectorviews is the main P3D window with menubar.

Also I have been playing around, and my system is really weird! I deleted the cfg file, which gave a huge increase in FPS from 15 - 18 to 35 - 45!? Sometimes it then goes to 20 - 22 for no specific reason?

I also found that my best setting for a fluid P3D is to have the FPS unlimited and using 60hz on the projectors? So if I set the projectors at 30hz and limit FPS to 30, which should be the holy grail to get smooth flying, I get absolutely ugly stutters. I am not able to use VSync, as this gives me single digit FPS. Also tried using external FPS limit, but also this gives me single digit, even if set for eg. 30 FPS - I really dont get my system! When I use MSI Afterburner to show my FPS, it does no correspond to the FPS shown in P3D? And also after the cfg file, it cost alot of FPS to even start the Afterburner? Something is rotten in the state of Denmark! 😄

/Bjarne

1 hour ago, MarkDH said:

So I don't know what point you were making about pro Plus. Wideview isn't LM's multichannel, which is the thing that needs Pro Plus. As for correcting distortion, I wonder if that only makes sense for edge blending multi-screen displays with relatively small distortion. It seems to me that unwarping a massively-distorted Surround view (like a typical 5:1 aspect triple screen display) necessaily degrades the image because it has to stretch and/or crop it.

It was simply in the way that I interpreted your writing - multi-screen (actually multi-view) . At the time I simply took it to mean something other than view groups. I was obviously incorrect in that assumption (my bad) however I was never confused about the differences between the 2 and what programs can do what. I have tried every possible configuration over the years from complex multiple server/client to what I have now which is the KISS method and simply running the projectors off a single card. I hope this now clears that up.

In regards to degrading the image, It does but not near as bad as it was when warping software first came out. Also with advances in projector resolution its negligible these days. 

1 hour ago, SorensenDK said:

A question for those of you that has a wraparound using viewgroups. Do you have three or four windows? When I export my Fly-Elise viewgroups I get the three views used for the projectors, and then one main-view with the menubar. I would like to only have three views, where one of the projectorviews is the main P3D window with menubar.

By menu bar do you mean the one across the top?