Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Orbx Terra Flora v2 for P3D v5 vs HD Trees?

I'm currently using HD Trees, has anyone tried the new Terra Flora v2 yet and can tell me if it's worth it to switch to?

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I have them both. I am having issues with Hd Trees completely negating the TerraFloraV2. Posted about in the Orbx forums https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/192836-hd-trees-overriding-terraflora-v2/

my initial impression is mixed. Some of the HD stuff looks better to my eye, while some of the TerraFlora stuff looks better to me as well. I just can’t seem to get them to work together as they are advertised to.

Edited by CaptainNick

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

Are these 2 products suppose to compliment each other or do you substitute one for the other? Kinda confusing.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Just now, captain420 said:

Are these 2 products suppose to compliment each other or do you substitute one for the other? Kinda confusing.

According to the item page, and their preview post that has an FAQ they are supposed to complement each other. TerraFlora is supposed to take over the default autogen type trees, and the HD trees will then do the custom vegetation trees that are made for the FTX regions. 

my problem is, HD trees is taking over all trees whether it is in an FTX region or not. Both are activated and I ensured the terra flora was above hd trees in the scenery index.

so for me at the moment even at 6 bucks USD upgrade price it is not worth it, but maybe I am doing something wrong. Awaiting a reply on that thread from the developer.

Nick Silver

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

1 hour ago, CaptainNick said:

According to the item page, and their preview post that has an FAQ they are supposed to complement each other. TerraFlora is supposed to take over the default autogen type trees, and the HD trees will then do the custom vegetation trees that are made for the FTX regions. 

my problem is, HD trees is taking over all trees whether it is in an FTX region or not. Both are activated and I ensured the terra flora was above hd trees in the scenery index.

so for me at the moment even at 6 bucks USD upgrade price it is not worth it, but maybe I am doing something wrong. Awaiting a reply on that thread from the developer.

As far as I know, you shouldn't have neither ORBX's HD Trees and Turbulent's TerraFlora installed with a scenery index, as they're part of the autogen. Anyway, please share any feedback that you get from ORBX.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

22 minutes ago, edpatino said:

As far as I know, you shouldn't have neither ORBX's HD Trees and Turbulent's TerraFlora installed with a scenery index, as they're part of the autogen. Anyway, please share any feedback that you get from ORBX.

Cheers, Ed

It would make sense, but they do show up there in V5

Nick Silver

From announcement page:

FAQ

I already have Global Trees HD so what will Global TerraFlora v2 add?

See features above. Also Global TerraFlora v2 is also a higher resolution than Trees HD with more realistic and mature tree textures in use. See animated image at the end of this post to see the trees in action. Global TerraFlora v2 will also update TrueEarth region vegetation in P3D as these all use default tree variants.

Do I need to uninstall Global Trees HD?

No, the two packages will work happily together. Global TerraFlora v2 does not update Orbx custom trees (region-specific eg NCA, NZ etc.)

Will this work with other 3rd party products?

Global TerraFlora v2 updates any package that uses the default tree texture set. 

Will this work with photoreal scenery?

Yes, provided the PR package includes tree placements. There is a colour set that is designed to match typical raw orthoimagery.

Do I need to uninstall the original TerraFlora?

We recommend yes, but Orbx Central will disable it if left installed.

What does Global TerraFlora v2 NOT do?
Global TerraFlora v2 does not:

• add extra vegetation or add vegetation to photoreal imagery
  • change the tree species at a particular location
  • update custom vegetation for 3rd party scenery packages
  • alter SpeedTree models or textures
  • update custom vegetation used in some FTX regions (NZ, NCA, SCA & the UK) as they all contain several custom tree types. None of these trees will be updated as these are covered by Global Trees HD
  • Like 2

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

3 minutes ago, DJJose said:

What does Global TerraFlora v2 NOT do?

Global TerraFlora v2 does not:

• alter SpeedTree models or textures

We've had SpeedTrees since V3 back in late 2015 and no one has tried to make the global implementation look nice . It's one of the first things people disable on a new P3D install. I would hope now that LM has updated the water with Waveworks and the Atmosphere with true sky, the texture developers could turn and give speedtrees some love.

I want a dense forest in P3D, like 2020

• Upvote 1

EVGA 2080 Ti  FTW3 Hybrid , 8700K, 2Tb 970 EVO Plus, 48 Гб HyperX

MSFS 2020 Tech Alpha Insider

Most of us just paid $200 for Prepar3d V5 and many of us already paid Orbx for HD trees and now they want us to pay another time for trees that are so similar to their previous trees that they actually have to explain the differences to us instead of just showing screenshots.

The flight sim business desperately needs some competition. For $200, decent looking trees should already be in there from the beginning. This is really getting out of hand. We shouldn't accept this.

• Like 8

Question from person who does not have HD or Terra Flora trees, but would like to have better trees - Is it worth to buy new ORBX addon ?

Will i see significant visual improvement ?

Artur 

3 minutes ago, NickBo said:

Most of us just paid $200 for Prepar3d V5 and many of us already paid Orbx for HD trees and now they want us to pay another time for trees that are so similar to their previous trees that they actually have to explain the differences to us instead of just showing screenshots.

The flight sim business desperately needs some competition. For $200, decent looking trees should already be in there from the beginning. This is really getting out of hand. We shouldn't accept this.

It was $6 if you owned either TerraFlora V1 or Orbx Trees.

As far as which one is better, Terraflora V1 was arguably better than Trees HD so one would assume the newest product with more customization options that is also marketed by Orbx is probably better. 

P3D 4.3, Windows 10/64 bit, Intel 6700k @ 4.7 air-cooled, NVidia 2080 Ti Founders Edition, ASUS Rog Maximus VIII Ranger, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 @3200, Phanteks Anthoo Pro Series Case, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 500GB, Sandisk 1TB SATA, Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive, Cooler Master 700W, 40-inch Samsung 4k TV

The forest is quite dense))

157kub.jpg

• Like 2

EVGA 2080 Ti  FTW3 Hybrid , 8700K, 2Tb 970 EVO Plus, 48 Гб HyperX

MSFS 2020 Tech Alpha Insider

I believe density is not controlled by ORBX tree addon, but by P3D setting only - am i right ? 

Artur 

7 minutes ago, Beardyman said:

I believe density is not controlled by ORBX tree addon, but by P3D setting only - am i right ? 

Correct

Nick Silver