Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Best way to configure Prepar3D v5 for Plane Spotting

With AIG-OCI, FSreborn AI Lights Reborn Pro, and FSXPAI models. I would like to setup my P3D primarily to load up at a busy airport and spot planes. I would like to set my AI traffic sliders to 100% and hopefully be able to have most sliders to the right since I won't be flying but just be around the airport area pretty much. So hopefully my CPU/GPU will have the resources necessary for AI. What's the least resource intensive plane I can load into? I'm assuming any of the default planes would do since I won't be flying. Is there a better method perhaps I can load an extremely low texture/low poly simobject so it doesn't take up any valuable ram or resources?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I would say with your hardware, as long as you don't load up a resource-intensive aircraft (PMDG, FSL, Aerosoft CRJ, etc.) then you should be ok.

I actually use an old model...the CLS DC-10...for plane spotting, because it doesn't seem to use much mem, and it has "default"-type views, meaning that I can press F10 and simply have a nice open view to watch AI.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

when you just want to spot, use an Avatar or spawn as inside the Tower, nice view around the airport

AIGtechBanner_Kai_AVSIM.png

2 hours ago, captain420 said:

With AIG-OCI, FSreborn AI Lights Reborn Pro, and FSXPAI models. I would like to setup my P3D primarily to load up at a busy airport and spot planes. I would like to set my AI traffic sliders to 100% and hopefully be able to have most sliders to the right since I won't be flying but just be around the airport area pretty much. So hopefully my CPU/GPU will have the resources necessary for AI. What's the least resource intensive plane I can load into? I'm assuming any of the default planes would do since I won't be flying. Is there a better method perhaps I can load an extremely low texture/low poly simobject so it doesn't take up any valuable ram or resources?

Hello Aaron,

on my website you can download a free copy of the camera pod that I use in my AiTrackerX app. It has the same controls as a single prop plane - and it has no 3D model, it is completely invisible. Doesn't get much lighter than this.

Best regards

• Like 2

LORBY-SI

By the way, using Bahrometrix' Chevrolet Suburban to drive around a busy airport is a nice experience too IMHO (and getting in and out of it as Avatar)

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Thanks for the suggestions! Where can I get the Suburban from?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

17 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Suburban

Btw - you have to stand on the brakes before you can engange the transmission lever next to the steering wheel. Took me a while to figure out. Default assignment is "left brake axis" is the brakes, "right brake axis" is the accelerator pedal. Steering is done with the aileron axis. You leave/reenter the car with Shift&Ctrl&E (if you have the Avatar mode switched on in the P3D Settings)

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Thanks! I appreciate it! 🙂 Will give this a try later!

Lorby, thanks! This is so cool!

image.png