Sign in to follow this  
Ianrivaldosmith

Twitching and morphing

Why does the scenery in P3DV5 (or 4 for that matter), morph under the aircraft? Even in a slow aircraft at 120knts, you can see the scenery shape shifting! It’s worse in mountains. Is there some sort of setting to change? 

1 minute ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Why does the scenery in P3DV5 (or 4 for that matter), morph under the aircraft? Even in a slow aircraft at 120knts, you can see the scenery shape shifting! It’s worse in mountains. Is there some sort of setting to change? 

+1

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU

It's been so for many years. And it will remains so for many years. Has been reported at the LM forum for many years. The hard truth seems to be it's inherent in the ESP platform and can't be remedied. 

Kind regards, Michael

Edit: In short, it's the result of  the simulator switching between different mesh resolutions as you approach an area. Strangely enough, neither X-plane nor AeroflyFS sport this "feature".

Edited by pmb
  • Like 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

27 minutes ago, pmb said:

Strangely enough, neither X-plane nor AeroflyFS sport this "feature".

Maybe they have real quality control and programers?

• Like 1

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

42 minutes ago, killthespam said:

Maybe they have real quality control and programers?

What kind of comment is that... :unsure:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Bert

1 hour ago, pmb said:

Strangely enough, neither X-plane nor AeroflyFS sport this "feature".

Aerofly FS2 sports very few features, so it doesn't stress weak hardware too much. The problem with P3d is caused by combining very high resolution terrain mesh with hardware that can't handle all the installed add-ons and intense IQ settings. The graphics engine loads terrain mesh in a progressive fashion and takes too long to load the highest resolution terrain mesh. The alternative would be to not load any mesh at all. This "solution" is the same reason one sees "the blurries" rather than black landclass tiles. There is only enough time to load low resolution textures. The idea was to allow the user to keep flying during periods when the hardware can't keep up. 

I don't know when these types of comments will end, as flightsim developers keep adding bells and whistles faster than new hardware can be released to compensate.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

What kind of comment is that... :unsure:

Maybe X-plane and AeroflyFS do a better job on quality control when they release a software or  better programmers? 

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

2 hours ago, killthespam said:

Maybe X-plane and AeroflyFS do a better job on quality control when they release a software or  better programmers? 

That is one heck of a "maybe".

• Upvote 2

A.Chryss - near YSCB

1. ASUS ROG STRIX X299 i9-7900X (delid - 4.9Ghz All Cores), EK 420x45 RAD, D5 Pump, EK monoblok, 32GBs GSkill 3600MHz ram 1T, Gig Aorus GTX1080Ti (2075Mhz), SSung 970 Evo 2TB & 1Tb & 960Evo 500GB NVMe, 2xSSDs. XBox controller for camera views. - Flight sims

2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Ryzen 3900X - 4.3Ghz (12 cores) Corsair H115i, Gig 2080Ti OC, 32MHz ram 2x 970EVO 1TBNVME  3x ssd etc.  P3D v4.5 & v5, XP11 & DCS. 43"-4k + 27"-2k monitors & tablets. Warthog controllers, Honeycomb Yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, TrackIR . - Games server

The best I have to offer in this regard is:

[TERRAIN]
LOD_RADIUS=11

You Millage may vary

1 minute ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Alternatively get involved in a "Better programmer" debate (or more accurately defined as "I just wanna believe") that goes no where, ends no where, and doesn't resolve anything. 🙂 

And I might add, is very insulting to the professional staff involved in P3D at LM. Clearly KillTheSpam has never worked on a large scale enterprise programming project to make comments like these 😞

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Yes.

3. Use TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10

Isn't this consuming too much VideoRAM  for 8 or 11 GB cards?

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

11 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

It consumes more VRAM ... increases texture resolution so there is less of drastic change.  "too much" depends on how much VRAM your GPU has and other add-ons and your other graphics settings. 

Cheers, Rob. 

I find it strange to get OOM with 6gb/9.2gb with a GTX1080ti and taskmanager says 50% used of my DDR3 ram even without this tweek. 600gb free space on a SSD c drive. 

Any ideers? 

Michael Moe 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

3 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Yes.

1.  Stick to a mesh designed to work with the terrain textures being used (i.e. if you use Orbx stick with Orbx mesh)

2. Don't go below 5m mesh setting

3. Use TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10

4.  Adjust Tessellation setting to find the sweet spot (Max is not always best)

Alternatively get involved in a "Better programmer" debate (or more accurately defined as "I just wanna believe") that goes no where, ends no where, and doesn't resolve anything. 🙂 

Cheers, Rob.

Where do I put this TEXTURE setting?

so, 5M mesh is the best setting? I only use ORBX or DEFAULT mesh anyways, no add ons.

30 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Where do I put this TEXTURE setting?

so, 5M mesh is the best setting? I only use ORBX or DEFAULT mesh anyways, no add ons.

[TERRAIN]

TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10

@Rob_Ainscough when you say "Don't go below 5m mesh setting" does it mean that slider shouldn´t go all the way to the left (1m)?

• Like 1

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU