Sign in to follow this  
airforce806

P3D v5 in Beta?

I am currently using Prepar3d v4.5. I have been following many threads to get an idea of if I should make the jump to version 5. We all know cleaning up the the PC for a complete upgrade requires many many hours of downloading, installing, and troubleshooting...

With so many issues I was wondering if I missed something. Is this a beta release or is this the actually production release?  Although I would expect there to be some kinks to be worked out as us simmers like a nice smooth sim with realistic graphics. However, the issues I see appear to be endless with freezing, CTDs, graphic anomalies, etc  

I don’t want to spend more hours fixing than flying this time around. 

For those of you that are using the new software, do they appear to be minor issues compared to v4.5. 

Thanks for your input!

We all are technically beta testers who paid for access - lol

There could be another hotfix coming or something.  I highly recommend you wait till the dust settles and majority of third party is on stable grounds with V5.

Even I am on the sidelines, just don't feel the urge to update.  Now v3 to v4 is overnight jump as we went from 32bit to 64bit world.  Right now V5 is more or like evolution of v4.x release.  

Besides 4.5 gets some extra life with HF3 (not needed if your HF2 is working fine).

• Like 3

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

As LM's business model is commercial customers, the private non commercial users have always been beta testers. 

I believe LM has been very clever by having us pay for beeing beta testers since the very beginning of the P3D. development. 

• Like 2

Roar Kristensen    www.flightsim4fun.com

P3Dv4 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BAv4 for immersive PMDG B737/777/747 flying

XPLANE 11 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BA_XP for immersive  B737 flying

rmMShli.jpg?1 WylQl0J.jpg?3

Ignore 90% of the negative comments you read here, that's just Avsim's SOP for responding to a new P3D version. Many of the people dissing v5 have not flown it.

v5 is the new sim for the next 3 years. 95%+ of people are going to upgrade, the same as they did for v3 and v4 (many after initially complaining at great length, go back and read the release threads). 

v5 will cost you the same today as it will in two years time, so there is no advantage in waiting. 

v5 looks beautiful. I have v3.3, v4.5 and v5 installed. 97% of my flying is in v5, it is hard to go back to v4.5 now. I have some minor complaints about VR over water, but am overall very, very happy with the new sim. Performance is good, Truesky/EA/DX12 looks beautiful - this is the biggest step forward of all the P3D version releases.

TL;DR v5 is imperfect but great - buy it.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 4

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

2 hours ago, airforce806 said:

I am currently using Prepar3d v4.5.

I've been following the excited P3D5 threads with a great deal of amusement. If you have a nicely running P3Dv4 setup, I see no reason to ditch that for Vol.5

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Ignore 90% of the negative comments you read here,

...and spend hours fiddling and futzing with a new, untested sim. For some people it's about flight simulation not tweak simulation.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

I've been following the excited P3D5 threads with a great deal of amusement. If you have a nicely running P3Dv4 setup, I see no reason to ditch that for Vol.5

Yes.. true.. they said the same when P3Dv4 came out. Why ditch P3dV3 when it is nicely running ? 

Edited by dick
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dick said:

Yes.. true.. they said the same when P3Dv4 came out. No reason to ditch that for a nicely running P3Dv3  

v4 moved the sim to 64 bit. Try again.

Well let me try again...DX12 maybe ??

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dick said:

Well let me try again...DX12 maybe ??

Try one more time, DX12 isn’t the “game changer” people think it is.... yet. In order to get the most out of DX12 I think we need better hardware... there’s a lot of crash reports due to running out of video memory.... this means we need to dial back the settings. Didn’t we all buy V5 so we can push the settings even further? 

Edited by Ridvan Celik
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, roarkr said:

As LM's business model is commercial customers, the private non commercial users have always been beta testers. 

I believe LM has been very clever by having us pay for beeing beta testers since the very beginning of the P3D. development. 

Flightsim users are suckers to be honest.  We are our worst own enemy.  I've said right from the beginning the standard of addons went down hill after all the pay to beta junk started with 'airsimmer' airbus and then Pss/BBs 'Prologue' 

Then all the others followed suit because they saw it as a money maker.  

Edited by fluffyflops
  • Upvote 3

14ppkc-6.png

17 minutes ago, Ridvan Celik said:

Try one more time, DX12 isn’t the “game changer” people think it is.... yet. In order to get the most out of DX12 I think we need better hardware... there’s a lot of crash reports due to running out of video memory.... this means we need to dial back the settings. Didn’t we all buy V5 so we can push the settings even further? 

Yes indeed, but maybe it does mean we have to look at upgrading our hardware for the future.

With all new advancements of the sim or any genre of game or simulation, we cannot expect to run it in all full glory with older hardware for ever.

I started V5 with a GTX1060 and I really had to watch where I flew into what payware airport and it usually ended up in a OOM and dialling the settings down, but moving to a 1080ti with the same airports, I have never had a crash since.

FS PC - AMD7900X3D / MSI RTX 4090 24gb / 32gb Ram / Varjo Aero / Bravo Quadrant / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / Yoke / TPR Pedals

UK Skytours - http://www.ukskytours.co.uk

25 minutes ago, Ridvan Celik said:

this means we need to dial back the settings

You needed that also with V4 so you can/could get rid of stuttering because of texture shuffling to RAM.

And of course you need to dial "back" your settings in V5 because you can't use the same slidersetting from V4 to V5, in the later it means higher settings as they would be in V4. 

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

37 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

...and spend hours fiddling and futzing with a new, untested sim. For some people it's about flight simulation not tweak simulation.

You really cannot stand P3D v5 can you?  If you don't like it that is fine and dandy but why so negative in other peoples topics.  Maybe when 2020 comes out you will go away

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Sean Green

DX12 is the future you have been asking since FSX for a sim that uses your GPU instead of caning your CPU, most new games are now moving to DX12 why spend 1000-2000 on a next gen GPU for it to do very little.

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg