Sign in to follow this  
airforce806

P3D v5 in Beta?

2 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

I've been following the excited P3D5 threads with a great deal of amusement. If you have a nicely running P3Dv4 setup, I see no reason to ditch that for Vol.5

Then don't, lol!  We v5.24 flyers..won't lose too much sleep over your decision, lol!  It's ok...we'll be ok...;)

Cheers!  

Post Edit, I always held that if you have to 'convince' someone to upgrade, then honestly...isn't that really their own decision after having READ all the opinions and v5.24 usage posts of the Forum.   Really....;)  If it takes such a great shove in the back...the kiddie ain't ready to leave the shallow end.  My 26 cents...

5 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Am I correct in thinking that you have zero hours of P3D v5 time on which to base your multiple strong negative comments? 

You are absolutely correct. And why? Because I'm not an early adopter/beta tester. I only buy products when they've matured, the bugs have been (mostly) ironed out, and all the major addons have been ported over successfully.

If LM wishes me to beta test their new releases, I'd be happy to share my fee structure with them.

47 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

If LM wishes me to beta test their new releases, I'd be happy to share my fee structure with them.

The usual fee structure for beta testers is "one free copy of the released program."  Often you get your name in the credits.  Sometimes you get input into the development process.  Very rarely you may be offered payment if you submit a significant addition that is included in the final product.  It only happened to me once and I refused payment.

Releasing "not quite finished" games has been going on for longer than I can remember.  I blame the Internet for a lot of this because it made releasing patches so easy.  Of course, games are a bit more complex than they used to be.

Hook

Edited by LHookins

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

V5 is looking great here. Only using TrueSky now.

Performance is better than in 4.5.

All 100+ Addons are working ..

• Like 5

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

3 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

v4 moved the sim to 64 bit. Try again.

I would like to understand what you are trying to do/say here? Wich intention do you really have? If you can´t argument why don´t you let it just be as it is. Make up your mind, tell us your "story" once....then let it go.

Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

1 hour ago, Ricardo41 said:

You are absolutely correct. And why? Because I'm not an early adopter/beta tester. I only buy products when they've matured, the bugs have been (mostly) ironed out, and all the major addons have been ported over successfully.

I am/We are really proud of you that you are not an early adopter. 

If we where al like you, than non of the bugs get found, fixed and a better version will never come out. 

And all that just because of "you" or "us"? 😉 

I have a strongly feeling that someone is trying to troll us here, and that is really not helpful.

Maybe the Admins can just close the topic.

P3D V5 is not in Beta.....there is really no more to say about that...or?

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

16 minutes ago, GSalden said:

V5 is looking great here. Only using TrueSky now.

Performance is better than in 4.5.

All 100+ Addons are working ..

I felt with you while installing all AIG AIM planes and flightplans all over again.... 😉. Are you done Gerard?

Cheers Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

3 hours ago, sgreen91 said:

You really cannot stand P3D v5 can you?  If you don't like it that is fine and dandy but why so negative in other peoples topics.  Maybe when 2020 comes out you will go away

Yes, but he has a point. Some of us are enjoying our flights in P3Dv4, and see no reason to upgrade at this time. Why spend more money on the new version when it still has bug fixes and compatibility issues to be sorted out? Why spend more money when we are perfectly happy with what we have now? Yes, most of us will probably upgrade to v5 sooner or later, but there is no desperate need to upgrade right now. As someone else has already pointed out (but for the opposite reason), the price will be the same whenever we decide to take the plunge, so why rush into it?

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

11 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Some of us are enjoying our flights in P3Dv4, and see no reason to upgrade at this time.

Thats pretty fine for ALL users here. Whats annoying is this "you fools are just paying BETA testers" waffle some smartasses are dropping in nearly every second thread about V5. Hence my suggestion of a "Rant thread" earlier 🙂

Not wondering about some childish XP users and MSFS word not allowed doing this, that some V4.x users are also start to troll baffles me.

Edited by JoeFackel
  • Upvote 1

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

I've worked for an international hardware and software company for over 30 years. I've seen this a couple of times. The devs are working hard on v5. Betas are happening, bugs are getting fixed, everything moving along according to schedule when bam! some peon from management who has a "goal" to achieve before the end of the month walks in with the brilliant idea of exceeding expectations by releasing ahead of schedule. The devs protest. They always lose. What we're seeing now happens. The devs lose a bunch of sleep, collect a bunch of data, feverishly work on getting it to where they wanted it to be when they launched, and finally it all comes together several months late. Meanwhile, management peon that blew things up is sitting on a beach in Bora Bora with an umbrella drink enjoying the bonus he got for moving things along so well.      

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

I've had pretty much zero issues with V5. It runs very much better than all eight previous iterations of flight sim versions which were also based on the ESP architecture but which did not leverage the GPU properly. The switch to using DX12 and by this, the fact that it now harnesses the GPU much better, is rather unsurprisingly therefore, a vast improvement

As far as having to 'dial back settings' or 'get new hardware' is concerned, for most people that would not be necessary at all if they've had either any version of FSX or P3D which they wanted to run well with add-ons; for all previous iterations of ESP sims, you needed a sledgehammer to crack a walnut anyway because they struggled to use the GPU, so in finally getting a version which actually uses the hardware you already had, by virtue of needing to go completely over the top on specs, you're fairly guaranteed to be good to go as long as you had a pretty okay set up in the first place.

In short, there is a reason why you could run Skyrim on your FS PC at 200 fps with all the beautiful detail turned up, but got 18 fps coming into an add-on airport in P3D V4 depsite it having graphics which look like they belong on a Sega Megadrive. Or to put it another way, P3D V5 pulls that arrow out of the flight sim's knee. 🤣

So the fact that we can now leverage the GPU properly, means that developers can now produce decent effects for their products and at least get on par with what pretty much every PC gamer of the last decade has already been enjoying in terms of visuals and performance. Anyone, either pro developer or amateur SDK tinkerer, who has ever tried to use the FX capabilities of previous ESP-based sims to create sophisticated visual effects and found they had get really 'creative' just to produce something mediocre, to the point where it wasn't worth bothering, will know what I'm talking about here.

And with regard to there being 'lots of reports of problems with V5', as ever, this is a misleading impression. In the same way that the news channels do not report breaking news that 'there were no plane crashes today', people do not tend to get particularly vocal about not having problems, so when you do see reports about stuff, it doesn't mean this is the case for everyone.

Yup, there are some add-ons which don't (yet) play nicely with V5, but I've found that these are few and most stuff - even products from years ago which were only for FSX - have quite happily installed and run okay in V5. Some exceptions to this which I've found include:

Just Flight's Traffic Global (well, let's be honest, that thing had issues before V5 came along, it's been in 'early access' for nearly two years lol)

HiFi Technologies Active Sky (currently being worked on and allegedly going to be compatible in the next few days)

Carenado Beechcraft D18S (installs and loads in the sim, but has a partially transparent panel in the VC and external models with reflective polished metal textures are not bouncing light properly, appearing too dark and with a bluish tinge, some other add-ons with metal textures also display this issue)

Sim Works Studios Nimitz Class Carriers Vol 2 (does not like being manually pointed at V5 for installation and so refuses to show up on the add-ons menu in V5)

So yeah, there are a few add-ons I like which need a tweak to either install or play nicely with V5, but there are many more which don't have any issues with it at all.

To summarise; regardless of whether anyone is happy with their previous version of P3D, claiming that there is no reason to shift to V5 from previous iterations is to refuse to acknowledge that, A) it does what we've all been asking an ESP-based simulator to do since before FSX was released, i.e. shift the focus from the CPU to the GPU, allowing it to run very much better on modern hardware. B) In running better on modern hardware and leveraging the capabilities of modern GPUs, it offers the capability to be visually more impressive and even in its default form can already do this with the inclusion of improved atmospheric rendering.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

36 minutes ago, MDFlier said:

I've worked for an international hardware and software company for over 30 years. I've seen this a couple of times. The devs are working hard on v5. Betas are happening, bugs are getting fixed, everything moving along according to schedule when bam! some peon from management who has a "goal" to achieve before the end of the month walks in with the brilliant idea of exceeding expectations by releasing ahead of schedule. The devs protest. They always lose. What we're seeing now happens. The devs lose a bunch of sleep, collect a bunch of data, feverishly work on getting it to where they wanted it to be when they launched, and finally it all comes together several months late. Meanwhile, management peon that blew things up is sitting on a beach in Bora Bora with an umbrella drink enjoying the bonus he got for moving things along so well.      

So right: BUT.........released is released and for sales it sells....;-)

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

One time, this person complained on the internet about something they didn’t own or use. It makes them feel better and reaffirms their own decisions to wait for the next mythical thing that is always on the edge of the horizon promising the world...reminds us of politicians don’t it?

The sky in fact is not falling. 5.24 is pretty good and will only get better with age. If you don’t want to switch don’t. Pretty easy choice. For the vast majority of users it is running great. Do some have issues? Of course. Always going to happen with a near infinite variation of hardware and add-ons etc.

• Like 1

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

Since when does bugs in software, equal being a 'paid beta-tester' ?!

If that's the criteria, then I've must have been a beta-tester more times than I can count, as it's extremely rare, that I come across software, that doesn't have bugs or problems in them.

Don't feed the troll, I guess...

Oh, well. 

Edited by anden145
  • Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

For me I like P3D v5.There are 2 things they need to fix/improve for me to love it.

1. TrueSky. I can run Truesky at a default airport with no AI with no problems. Go to a addon airport with AI traffic and the sim crashes.

2. I have AI in my sim, and when I go to a airport the AI textures are blurry for about a minute before they pop back to clear (they will not stay clear though). I was told this was because the sim is loading less detailed textures at a distance to reduce VRAN usage.

Edit: I have tried different settings to improve/fix my 3 complaints

Edited by Joseph29