Sign in to follow this  
MrBitstFlyer

Cloud draw distance

Does any weather engine change the cloud draw distance according to the reported visibility?  Shame to waste fps drawing clouds that can't be seen.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Well what sim are you taking about? V4 or v5?

ASP4 for v4.5 give options to increase cloud draw upto 250 miles, if you fly airlines then a cloud draw of only 90 miles looks terrible. 
150 is OK if you fly low and slow then 90 might do. 
Remember 90 miles is edge to edge so 45 miles all round you and that’s not that far. Even on the ground you need more to make clouds disappear over the horizon sometimes.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

27 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Remember 90 miles is edge to edge

Are you sure about that?  It certainly seems to me that when visibility is near unlimited (">32k") that the clouds appear to go as far as land at 90 miles.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

No I made it up ^^

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

3 hours ago, Nyxx said:

Well what sim are you taking about? V4 or v5?

ASP4 for v4.5 give options to increase cloud draw upto 250 miles, if you fly airlines then a cloud draw of only 90 miles looks terrible. 
150 is OK if you fly low and slow then 90 might do. 
Remember 90 miles is edge to edge so 45 miles all round you and that’s not that far. Even on the ground you need more to make clouds disappear over the horizon sometimes.

My question wasn't about setting a fixed draw distance for clouds.  I wondered if any weather engine changes cloud draw distance depending on visibility.  If visibility is 30 miles, does a weather engine continue to draw clouds out to the fixed distance set in settings?

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home