Sign in to follow this  
SorensenDK

MSI Afterburner monitoring FPS and P3D FPS different?

Hi all.

I have been investigating the low FPS I have, and when using MSI Afterburner FPS monitoring I get maybe 50 FPS in the screen overlay, but P3D FPS only reads maybe 18.  Anyone know why there is such a difference?

Best Regards

Bjarne

Try reinstalling the program as I am not seeing this issue.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

You could also try another FPS monitor like FRAPS to do a comparison.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Stop getting hung up on FPS if it`s smooth and no stutters then your OK.

• Upvote 2

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

8 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

Stop getting hung up on FPS if it`s smooth and no stutters then your OK.

In his case with vsync on he was dropping down to 5-8 FPS which isn't going to be smooth even on a hyper computer. Clearly something is not ok with his setup hence the reason for installing this software and why he is asking for help as to why such a discrepancy. Do you have any suggestions?

Ditch all the so called tweaks start from default and tune for best performance for your PC, which may not be the same as someone with the same specs due to the way people set the PC up and other programs installed. We don't know his hyper PC specs which makes it a bit pointless to suggest anything.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Hi Guys...
Sorry for the late answer, but I have a severe "stroke" in my back, and has been in bed for days...hard to get old - as in 46 y/0 😄

Im am not obsessed by the FPS, but are having really hard time figuring P3D and my system out. I deleted the cfg file, started from scratch, and starting up on EGKK I have now avg. 45 FPS as to the previous 18 FPS - success! But it then seems that when flying a little around the avg. FPS drops to 23, even though it is the same scenery?? Now I suddently get avg 30 starting up, and are down to 17 again when moving around after some time? - no changes! 

Now I will try to dele cfg file again...but I just dont get why it is so different.

And then the deal with MSI Afterburner - I just dont understand why everyone alse is using this tool to monitor their FPS without problems, and when I use it my P3D FPS drops and the afterburner records far higher FPS than P3D? Also if I try external FPS limiter, I get punished severely as with VSync. 

....maybe it is just to take a week out and start with a complete fresh install - but it is so much work to setup the entire cockpit software etc... 😉 

Take care and thanks for inputs 🙂

/Bjarne

Wasn’t there some issues with Afterburner causing weird things in P3D recently, I guess more specifically the riva whatever part of it?

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

Hi Nick -. and others.

have not heard about this issue. 

But I have now reinstalled everything to a fresh WIN10 installation and a fresh new P3D V4.5 , but still things are a bit wierd. The FPS monitored and displayed by MSI Afterburner is still very much different from the actual P3D FPS. If I use RIVA tuner to set FPS limit, I need to set it to 95 to achieve 30 FPS limit in P3D - I just dont get what the problem is - Newest WIN10, Newest Nvidia Drivers, Default installation of P3D. All others use MSI Afterburner to monitor FPS without this issue....? 

/Bjarne

On 5/8/2020 at 7:49 AM, TurboKen said:

Try reinstalling the program as I am not seeing this issue.

Well an issue I am seeing is the Vram usage is reported different in V5 vs afterburner, so that's strange.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+