Sign in to follow this  
dantaylor

Sudden Drop in Performance - P3Dv4.5

9 hours ago, ljk811 said:

The same question. I have reinstalled win10 and p3dv4 HF3, but the problem still exists. 

And herein lies the answer. I added emphasis above. The OP says this just happened out of the blue one day. I've got $10 that says he installed HF3. I wouldn't touch HF3 with a 10-foot pole. It has caused more problems than it solved, and I couldn't see a single "fix" that it made which I felt I needed. 

So, to rephrase the original post: "I installed HF3 and v4.5 went to heck in a handbag."

• Upvote 1

Gents (and ladies if you're lurking)...

In the past couple of weeks, I've experienced a sudden, unexplained degradation of performance in P3D as well. I tried the latest Nvidia drivers because there was a note that the version I was using was causing high CPU usage. No help. Then, I rolled back to HF2. That did not help, either. I started having watchdog timer freezes in the past couple of days, which is usually a driver issue so I stopped trying to fix the stutters while I chased that.

I accidentally stumbled upon this:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/call-of-duty-warzone-league-of-legends-freezing-windows-10-game-mode/

and this https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/05/07/windows-10-game-mode-kills-performance-in-some-games/

and this https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/05/06/windows-10-users-are-still-complaining-about-stuttering-and-poor-performance-when-game-mode-is-enabled/

Is it possible that we are all chasing the wrong rabbit? 🐇

I was certain that I had already disabled game mode numerous times in the past including recently checking to verify that it was still off. I checked yesterday, and it was turned on again. It appears that Windows 10 updates may be turning it back on. I disabled it and tried a flight out of BWI in the NGXu. It seemed like it was smoother, but the weather wasn't too complicated, and the AI traffic was minimal due to the late evening weekday hour so I didn't want to base too much off of what I saw. My system locked up with the watchdog timer issue at about 13,000' on climbout so I didn't get to experience the night landing in light rain at KBOS that I was hoping to use as a test.

Let me know if any of you disable this and see improvement. I don't have time to fly today. Maybe tonight... 

Edited by MDFlier

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

I too, have just recently experienced a drop in average frame rates and an increase in blurries. The only thing I can think of that I did to my computer just before the problems started was reinstall P3D v4.5. I think the re-installation is the cause of the frame rate drop and blurry textures. I just discovered this topic so I have not read all the posts. I will get that done and see if I can relate to any of it.  

i7 8700K CPU @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 3000 memory, Gigabyte Aorus Z370 MB, EVGA RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra GPU 8GB GDDR6 Memory, MasterAir MA610P CPU cooler, 1T PCIe NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 2T HDD, 3 Asus 24" monitors, Saitek X56 Rhino H.O.T.A.S., Altec Surround Sound System.

12 hours ago, MDFlier said:

男士(如果您潜伏的话,还有女士们)...

在过去的几周中,我还经历了P3D中突然无法解释的性能下降。我尝试了最新的Nvidia驱动程序,因为有一个说明我使用的版本导致CPU使用率过高。没有帮助 然后,我回滚到HF2。那也没有帮助。在过去的几天中,我开始使看门狗计时器冻结,这通常是驾驶员遇到的问题,因此在追逐时我停止尝试解决卡塞问题。

我不小心偶然发现了这一点:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/call-of-duty-warzone-league-of-legends-freezing-windows-10-game-mode/

和这个https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/05/07/windows-10-game-mode-kills-performance-in-some-games/

并且此https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/05/06/windows-10-users-are-still-complaining-about-stuttering-and-poor-performance-when-game-mode-is-enabled/

我们是否都可能追逐错误的兔子? 🐇

我确定我过去已经多次禁用游戏模式,包括最近检查以确认它仍然处于关闭状态。我昨天检查了一下,然后又重新打开了。看来Windows 10更新可能已将其重新打开。我禁用了它,并尝试在NGXu中从BWI起飞。看起来就像是平滑的,但天气是不是太复杂,而且AI交通是到深夜平日每小时最少应有所以我不想基数太大关的我所看到的。我的系统在爬升大约13,000时锁定了看门狗定时器问题,因此我没有体验过我希望用作测试的KBOS的小雨夜降落。

让我知道您是否禁用此功能并查看改进情况。我今天没有时间飞行。可能是今晚... 

I tried but didn't work

12 hours ago, MDFlier said:

Gents (and ladies if you're lurking)...

In the past couple of weeks, I've experienced a sudden, unexplained degradation of performance in P3D as well. I tried the latest Nvidia drivers because there was a note that the version I was using was causing high CPU usage. No help. Then, I rolled back to HF2. That did not help, either. I started having watchdog timer freezes in the past couple of days, which is usually a driver issue so I stopped trying to fix the stutters while I chased that.

I accidentally stumbled upon this:

and this https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/05/07/windows-10-game-mode-kills-performance-in-some-games/

and this https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/05/06/windows-10-users-are-still-complaining-about-stuttering-and-poor-performance-when-game-mode-is-enabled/

Is it possible that we are all chasing the wrong rabbit? 🐇

I was certain that I had already disabled game mode numerous times in the past including recently checking to verify that it was still off. I checked yesterday, and it was turned on again. It appears that Windows 10 updates may be turning it back on. I disabled it and tried a flight out of BWI in the NGXu. It seemed like it was smoother, but the weather wasn't too complicated, and the AI traffic was minimal due to the late evening weekday hour so I didn't want to base too much off of what I saw. My system locked up with the watchdog timer issue at about 13,000' on climbout so I didn't get to experience the night landing in light rain at KBOS that I was hoping to use as a test.

Let me know if any of you disable this and see improvement. I don't have time to fly today. Maybe tonight... 

I tried but didn't work

Hello everyone, I was able to fix the horrible stutters I was getting on my end with a rather simple fix.  After reinstalling and trying just about everything (including rolling back to previous gpu drivers), what did the trick was to go into the nvidia control panel and restore the profile back to factory settings.  My sim is now performing as it should and working great (meaning the odd stutter here and there as no prepar3d system is totally immune from it imo, but nothing like before)

Mark Javornik

Hi everyone,

As promised, I'm reporting back after having had a chance to reinstall my add-ons. Performance is still great, significantly better than before my reinstall. For me, what helped most was deactivating fullscreen optimization. I'm guessing the optimized OC settings and general "decluttering" of my system also contributed, but fullscreen optimization turned on for P3D was most certainly the main cause of the issue. For whatever reason, it didn't cause any problems for three years before though.

Cheers,
Daniel

On 5/10/2020 at 2:19 PM, mtr75 said:

And herein lies the answer. I added emphasis above. The OP says this just happened out of the blue one day. I've got $10 that says he installed HF3. I wouldn't touch HF3 with a 10-foot pole. It has caused more problems than it solved, and I couldn't see a single "fix" that it made which I felt I needed. 

So, to rephrase the original post: "I installed HF3 and v4.5 went to heck in a handbag."

Hi @mtr75,

not sure about HF3 being the cause. I was using P3D v4.5 with HF3 for about one or two months before the problem appeared. Also after reinstalling v4.4 the issue was still there. Using v4.5 HF3 again now with after the reinstall and fullscreen optimization off and everything is perfect again.

2 hours ago, dantaylor said:

Hi @mtr75,

not sure about HF3 being the cause. I was using P3D v4.5 with HF3 for about one or two months before the problem appeared. Also after reinstalling v4.4 the issue was still there. Using v4.5 HF3 again now with after the reinstall and fullscreen optimization off and everything is perfect again.

I'm glad to hear that! It seems HF3 has caused a lot of issues. Hard to say I guess. What's really strange is how people with very similar PC setups seem to be having oftentimes very different results, with both v4.5HF3 and v5. 

I think HF3 is blamed for a lot of issues but actually directly caused very little. I also blamed HF3 for an issue that at the end I found out it was about shaders - sure, the update caused it but at the end had nothing to do with HF3.