Sign in to follow this  
ttbq1

FlyTheMaddogx Announcement

Seeing this makes me a little concerned for MSFS 2020. I know its off topic, but how will this sort of issue be dealt with in MSFS as I'm sure the level of detail will increase over time with addon aircraft.

Are Asobo using DX12 in MSFS2020 or not? 

20 minutes ago, shamrockflyer said:

Seeing this makes me a little concerned for MSFS 2020. I know its off topic, but how will this sort of issue be dealt with in MSFS as I'm sure the level of detail will increase over time with addon aircraft.

Are Asobo using DX12 in MSFS2020 or not? 

Not.

At first anyway. They will migrate later down the line.

• Like 1

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

On 5/7/2020 at 1:25 PM, Skywolf said:

I wouldn't be surprised that even 11gb is not enough once one moves the sliders to the right.

You don't even have to move your sliders to the right to see the issues.  I have a 12GB card and I have been seeing these "memory overflow crashes," if you want to call them that, with very modest settings.

The pattern for me seems to be when I have a pop-up open (like for the F1 GTN). I am experimenting with the timeout detection settings in the registry which seem to have an impact, so it certainly points to exactly what Maddog is describing in terms of the way the program and the GPU are interacting in v5.  I think everyone's expectations - including mine, and maybe including L-M's - that existing add-ons could just be ported over with minimal effort was fantasy-land.  Either L-M needs to address it in their code, or all of the developers are going to have to put  lot more more effort into re-working their products than they have admitted to or realized.  Good on Maddog for acknowledging this.

The idea that "you need more VRAM" is unrealistic flight simulators, because no one is making mainstream GPU's with more brute force memory capacity (my 12GB is pretty much the max right now), just like no one ended up making ever faster clock speed CPU's once they go to a certain point.  The developers are going to have to get more efficient in their coding and architecture, because there is no hardware on the horizon that will magically solve this problem.

• Upvote 1

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

1 hour ago, PurdueKev said:

You don't even have to move your sliders to the right to see the issues.  I have a 12GB card and I have been seeing these "memory overflow crashes," if you want to call them that, with very modest settings.

The pattern for me seems to be when I have a pop-up open (like for the F1 GTN). I am experimenting with the timeout detection settings in the registry which seem to have an impact, so it certainly points to exactly what Maddog is describing in terms of the way the program and the GPU are interacting in v5.  I think everyone's expectations - including mine, and maybe including L-M's - that existing add-ons could just be ported over with minimal effort was fantasy-land.  Either L-M needs to address it in their code, or all of the developers are going to have to put  lot more more effort into re-working their products than they have admitted to or realized.  Good on Maddog for acknowledging this.

The idea that "you need more VRAM" is unrealistic flight simulators, because no one is making mainstream GPU's with more brute force memory capacity (my 12GB is pretty much the max right now), just like no one ended up making ever faster clock speed CPU's once they go to a certain point.  The developers are going to have to get more efficient in their coding and architecture, because there is no hardware on the horizon that will magically solve this problem.

i totally agree with your points.  Though let's be honest.  It's very possible we see the 3080ti at 16g+

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I haven't switched just yet waiting to see how this plays out, but I wonder if it helps at all not loading the entire scenery library like we used to do in 32bit to avoid address space issues.  Could DX12 be allocating space for all scenery to allow for faster loading, or do these OOMs occur with clean installs also?

Jose A.

Core Components: AMD Ryzen7 7700X - G.Skill FlareX 32 GB DDR5 6000 CL36 (XMP)  - Gigabyte B650M Aorus Elite AX  - Asus ROG Strix RTX3060 12gb

Storage: WD Black SN750 NVMe 1TB - AData sx8200 Pro NVMe 1TB - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB

WIN10 - P3D v.5.3 HF2 - XPLANE 11 - MSFS