Sign in to follow this  
767lover

trees in MSFS are among the best things....

One of the amazing upgrades in MSFS in my view are indeed the trees, or rather, the forests. AI-scanned, for the first time, we see lush and dense forests or beautiful patches of trees in grass covered fields accurately following their BING footprints what seems to be worldwide. Even up close, the trees look almost photorealistic, with the icing on the cake being that they move in the wind. 

So far, I have only seen striking views on the trees and forests and am absolutely in awe on what MS and Asobo have accomplished here and thank them sincerely for it. I do not care less about some trees perceived too large. 

Grass now a bit on the short side though 😉

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Trees are a complex issue. 

The individual default trees were not pretty but those of addons like Orbx HD and TD Terra Flora are not so bad as make believe. And some of the new ones in FS20 are kind of strangely blobby.

Since p3Dv3 we can have very large forests without much impact on the framerate.  A very important point.

The main issue is to adapt the varieties to the climate, altitude etc. I have not seen anything spectacular in FS20 so far in this regard. Being polite.

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

While people are focused on the trees (after the grass settled down 🙂 ), me  I can't wait to see the road networks implemented and part of one of the Alphas. I am Still wondering why it it not there yet..

I wonder what Asobo are cooking to delay the implementation of this data driven global road network similar to what was done for the infrastructure.

I forget a lot but I wonder if Power Lines and Railways are there yet.

Oh sorry I didn't mean to change the subject of this topic so back to the tree discussion!

• Like 1

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

The trees are absolutely tremendous, the only thing wrong is the scale of them, other sims have the same problem as MSFS that sometimes the scale of 3d objects can be oversized, but slowly the devs at MSFS are working their way around such problems and fixing them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

Scale (both height and volume) need to be adjusted as well as quantity of trees. In some screenshots you can see too many trees especially in urban areas. I believe a lot of those trees should be bushes, but that's certainly sth that can be adjusted rather easily by tweaking some algorithms for tree detection. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

the trees look great and there is nothing wrong with their size.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

7 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Definitely a huge upgrade over those old cardboard cutout trees. I could never tolerate those.

Emphasis on the word "huge"....🙃

Chris

It Is not a problem if trees are huge, the problem Is if the Cessna Is tiny.

15 hours ago, sightseer said:

the trees look great and there is nothing wrong with their size.

I agree, nothing wrong with the scale.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, michal said:

I agree, nothing wrong with the scale.

Yes, many people forgets visual effect of camera zoom. It usually shows items in a far distance in bigger scale, than items in closer distance. I do not see any problem with tree. It looks fantastic.

• Like 2

I also think that they have got the scale right in most places, but to say there's nothing wrong with their size is just not true.

In this screenshot it's VERY clear that the trees are wayyy to tall compared to the houses, and if you see it in google earth it's also obvious that it's not correct.

I'm not saying that it won't be fixed, but to say that there's no problems with tree sizes, is simply not correct.

https://www.jlphoto.dk/#share?id=4a6085d8-1445-49c6-b6f4-3030ea69195a

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

On 5/8/2020 at 12:53 PM, ChaoticBeauty said:

Definitely a huge upgrade over those old cardboard cutout trees. I could never tolerate those.

Asobo-lutely!

Those cardboard trees are a horrible sight. Considerung we have nice 3D models everywhere in MSFS, this is a huge improvement. Not to mention my lovechild, the 3D grass. 😄

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

1 hour ago, jlund said:

I also think that they have got the scale right in most places, but to say there's nothing wrong with their size is just not true.

In this screenshot it's VERY clear that the trees are wayyy to tall compared to the houses, and if you see it in google earth it's also obvious that it's not correct.

I'm not saying that it won't be fixed, but to say that there's no problems with tree sizes, is simply not correct.

Yes it could be that specific tree types are roughly deployed. I thought as far as I could see,the evergreen types were adjusted.

• Like 1

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

4 hours ago, jlund said:

Exactly!  Most trees look good.  They have seemingly fixed/adjusted evergreens, many deciduous, etc.  However, this particular type of tree (I believe a Banyan) definitely needs to be replaced with a different, more normal sized, tropical tree variety.  I don’t want to say ‘scaled’ down, because Banyan’s are abnormally gigantic in real life, therefore they do not need resizing.  However, they should not be the default tropical tree.  The palms underneath of them look like bushes in comparison!  

Edited by ual763