Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Concorde announced by Aeroplane Heaven

51 minutes ago, Canine Crew said:

I also really think it could be cool is some people made basic retro versions of airports (even freeware), with airports like Stapelton, older JFK and LHR and Templeholf. Something feels odd to me about taxiing a Concorde past Terminal 5 at LHR. You can always dream...

I think there's a lot larger market for retro things than people think. Just imagine a Landor Concorde into Templeholf... 

@Ray Proudfoot Why don't you work some magic in the FSL forums........😁 really interesting thread here though!

I used to have a Heathrow addon that changed if you altered the date in the simulator.  Put it back to 1980 and you got the old Heathrow.  It maybe still does it....

I agree, it doesn't feel right at T5.

@Ray Proudfoot Concorde would have moved with the rest of BA operations to T5.  No way they would pay the rent on two buildings for the sake of Concorde flights - another excuse to terminate! 

I suspect they would have organised T5 differently though, with a fast track service at the short/medium haul bit of the terminal, rather than have the PAX go out to B or C.  

20 hours ago, Mace said:

So Concorde were never fitted with an FMC?   They used the INS right up to the end?

"If it ain't broke, don't fit it!" 😄

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Ray, what don't you know about the Concorde!😄 Thanks for all the info!

46 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

"If it ain't broke, don't fit it!" 😄

Agreed, and actually there were less things to go wrong with INS and less room for human error if used properly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trumpetfrazz1 said:

@Ray Proudfoot Concorde would have moved with the rest of BA operations to T5.  No way they would pay the rent on two buildings for the sake of Concorde flights - another excuse to terminate! 

I suspect they would have organised T5 differently though, with a fast track service at the short/medium haul bit of the terminal, rather than have the PAX go out to B or C.  

Agreed. Fast track mandatory if she was still operational. Through in the blink of an eye.

41 minutes ago, Canine Crew said:

Ray, what don't you know about the Concorde!😄 Thanks for all the info!

A lot of it is from the ITVV Concorde DVD I bought some years ago. Now available as a download from here. Great watch!

https://www.itvv.com/Civil-Aviation-DVD/British-Airways-Concorde-DVD/Concorde-Flight-Deck-Experience.html

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

6 minutes ago, trumpetfrazz1 said:

Agreed, and actually there were less things to go wrong with INS and less room for human error if used properly.

That's right.  I enjoy flying the Aerosoft/Cependa DC-8-50, which has INS.  It is interesting and fun to take off from Japan, use the INS to traverse the Pacific, and come into the California coast within a few nm of where you expect to enter the coast.   It's like magic.  

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

47 minutes ago, Mace said:

It is interesting and fun to take off from Japan, use the INS to traverse the Pacific, and come into the California coast within a few nm of where you expect to enter the coast. 

I really enjoy the challenge of navigating without the help of modern avionics such as GPS and FMC and some of the classic era jetliners are excellent for that.

Going back to an even earlier era, it is also very interesting to fly the Atlantic in winter in the A2A Constellation navigating by dead reckoning using the forecasted winds aloft to plot your course and only NDB bearings from a couple of Ocean Stations (using the nice Ocean Station freeware utility) to provide any kind of cross check on your position over the water. Highly recommended if you like a challenge!  It also takes a little patience (or the use of accelerated time!) as Ray would most likely have done about three return trips across the Atlantic in Concorde in the time taken for the venerable Connie to just do it in one direction! What progress in a little over two decades although after 2003 progress took a step backwards again - sadly a case of two steps forward and then one step backwards!

Bill

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

A lot of it is from the ITVV Concorde DVD I bought some years ago. Now available as a download from here. Great watch!

https://www.itvv.com/Civil-Aviation-DVD/British-Airways-Concorde-DVD/Concorde-Flight-Deck-Experience.html

Excellent for the uninitiated and flown by three of the most respected crew members.  Believe it or not, I have the double VHS somewhere that I got when I was at school, updating to DVD later in life!

22 minutes ago, trumpetfrazz1 said:

Excellent for the uninitiated and flown by three of the most respected crew members.  Believe it or not, I have the double VHS somewhere that I got when I was at school, updating to DVD later in life!

I wish they had the capability to clean the source up to Blu-Ray standard. The detail in the flight deck would really benefit but not economically viable.

After 2001 this company was hit hard with no flight deck access possible. Real shame. All their packages are excellent.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

13 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I wish they had the capability to clean the source up to Blu-Ray standard. The detail in the flight deck would really benefit but not economically viable.

After 2001 this company was hit hard with no flight deck access possible. Real shame. All their packages are excellent.

Yes, I have their entire collection.  Issue is that even with modern editing/post production, you really can only get it back to source quality, as I know from working with audio.  As that was filmed in 1996 on the smallest, lightest quality cameras around, I think up-scaling would have limited effect.  Short of someone sitting rendering frame by frame, and it isn't worth that! 

2 hours ago, scianoir said:

I really enjoy the challenge of navigating without the help of modern avionics such as GPS and FMC and some of the classic era jetliners are excellent for that.

Going back to an even earlier era, it is also very interesting to fly the Atlantic in winter in the A2A Constellation navigating by dead reckoning using the forecasted winds aloft to plot your course and only NDB bearings from a couple of Ocean Stations (using the nice Ocean Station freeware utility) to provide any kind of cross check on your position over the water. Highly recommended if you like a challenge!  

Ah yes, I did that a long time ago, and I think I used some software I got  from Tom Gibson's site to simulate the long range stations.  

I also once dead-reckoned the default Vickers Vimy (FS2004 I think) across the Atlantic like J. Alcock and Arthur Whitten-Brown did in 1919.  I ended up in Scotland and not Ireland though.  I passed just north of the north tip of Ireland and never saw it.  I ended up in a field near Loch Katrine.  Try doing THAT in a Concorde ha ha.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

15 hours ago, Mace said:

I also once dead-reckoned the default Vickers Vimy (FS2004 I think) across the Atlantic like J. Alcock and Arthur Whitten-Brown did in 1919.  I ended up in Scotland and not Ireland though.  I passed just north of the north tip of Ireland and never saw it.  I ended up in a field near Loch Katrine.  Try doing THAT in a Concorde ha ha.

I did that once in loose formation with a friend, with us both Flying A2A B-17 Flying Fortresses in FSX multiplayer, each alternating the lead for stretches of the flight, replicating what many crews did in WW2 to get their bombers over to the European Theatre of Operations.  We went via Greenland, which as I recall was really socked in with fog when we got there, but we had no choice other than to land since we did not have the fuel to go anywhere else. On the second leg, we too ended up in Scotland!

It took a long time - the B-17 is quite slow when filled with fuel - and it is quite tiring to fly a long way in formation, but we wanted to experience what it was like to keep a big bomber in formation with another one for long stretches of time. sometimes the lag would mess that up for us, but generally speaking it was an enlightening experience which, if you ever try it, will give you a new-found admiration for those young 8th Air Force bomber crews and what they did.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Took Concorde from LAX over to Honolulu this morning. 65.3T of fuel. Reached FL580 just before decelleration and descent. Approached from the north of the island and landed on 04R.

Vr was 161kts and landing speed 153kts. Flight duration from throttles forward to wheels down was .... 2h 29m. 😃

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Took Concorde from LAX over to Honolulu this morning. 65.3T of fuel. Reached FL580 just before decelleration and descent. Approached from the north of the island and landed on 04R.

Vr was 161kts and landing speed 153kts. Flight duration from throttles forward to wheels down was .... 2h 29m. 😃

In real life you'd have got close if not achieved FL600 on this route at that weight - another thing that isn't accurate at the moment. 

You still using Vref all the time then...?  On this subject, for landing the airspeed bugs were set in a specific fashion - first outer on Vref, second on Vref+10, third at 190kts and fourth at 250kts, with the inner orange bug set to Vref+7 which was the normal landing speed unless runway was limiting or under certain special conditions like overweight landing. 

2 hours ago, trumpetfrazz1 said:

In real life you'd have got close if not achieved FL600 on this route at that weight - another thing that isn't accurate at the moment. 

You still using Vref all the time then...?  On this subject, for landing the airspeed bugs were set in a specific fashion - first outer on Vref, second on Vref+10, third at 190kts and fourth at 250kts, with the inner orange bug set to Vref+7 which was the normal landing speed unless runway was limiting or under certain special conditions like overweight landing. 

Yes, given the tropical latitude I expected to. I checked the ISA dev and it was only around -5 which probably explains why. I had around 90 pax with 3 in the flight deck.

It was CPS-X that calculated the Vref. I set the bugs around 100mm before decel. Vref, Vref+7, 190 and 230 usually as they’re the downwind and localiser intercept speeds.

04R isn’t the longest and I exited at the far end. The best bit was VAS. 1200Mb free at LAX with 80+ Ai and still 1000Mb at PHNL. I have LOD at once notch from max. Taking it all the way does eat into another 200+Mb.

My landings are still too hard. Flaring is the hardest bit. Probably don’t have engines high enough. 87% N2 okay?

Thinking of PHNL over to Tokyo. Is that doable?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather