Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Concorde announced by Aeroplane Heaven

12 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Great write-up there. It sounds like an inexperienced pilot could soon get themselves in trouble by manually managing thrust and the aircraft. 

If I remember correctly the particular pilot in question who was experimenting with his Airbus and had the tail strike  was an ex leader of a certain crimson coloured military display team ! A’hem.

I’m spending my time gliding over snowdonia in VR , great escapism !

Ive not upgraded to V5 or updated my 747 yet as there have been a few reports of both products causing problems. As I wrote elsewhere on these forums it was bad enough having my real world 747 torn from my grasp , I didn’t want to also lose my simulated version as well in the same week 

• Like 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Frazz, your brain must be the size of a planet to retain all this info! 😁

I must admit to watching the glide slope indicator and looking at the runway more than the ADI. Maybe one trick would be to run the sim at half speed inside 5 miles which would give me twice as much time to react.

One other question regarding the command “stick forward”. Was that issued when just the main gear touched the runway or only after the nose-wheel touched?

To allow gravity to control how quickly it comes down seems unwise given no reverse thrust or braking can commence until all are down. Or perhaps pushing the stick forward too quickly and too soon could cause it to hit too hard.

"Stick forward" was commanded by the handling pilot after he had pushed the stick forward.  This was after the nose wheel had hit the deck - gently of course. The non-handling pilot held it forward as a confirmatory action because it was very important - otherwise on selection of normal reverse the nose would fly back into the air! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Sadly running my UHD display at 1920*1080 means things are not as crisp as with native FullHD displays. This could be nigh on impossible to manage.

Yes, especially if you fly in the VC! I always use 2D panel full HDTV size. 

1 minute ago, trumpetfrazz1 said:

Yes, especially if you fly in the VC! I always use 2D panel full HDTV size. 

I switched some years ago. Couldn’t fly with the 2D cockpit now I’m afraid.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

50 minutes ago, jon b said:

What isn’t a good idea at all is to leave the autopilot engaged and make your own thrust adjustments on approach. With the 747’s under slung engines there’s quite a large pitch power coupling going on.... power up and the nose comes up for example. Start putting power on and off manually  with the autopilot in and the autopilot will start over correcting and then you’ll start over correcting with the thrust to counter the pitch change the autopilot has put in.Again a vicious circle and you’ll end up completely out of sync and in a mess.

This was also true of Concorde and in fact an important addition was that in IAS ACQ mode (to capture a new selected speed) an acceleration term plus inputs from longitudinal accelerometers  and from the INS units allowed the smallest trend or change in airspeed to be detected. This mode was used below 800ft and for all autolands because of its accuracy. 

56 minutes ago, jon b said:

I believe the Airbus with its system is even worse. There was an incident years ago where I think a pilot “ experimenting “ left the autopilot in and flew with manual thrust and performed an auto land, it think it was that way round ,but whichever way round it was it’s a big no no on the ‘bus. The end result was a bad tail strike on landing.

I've been told this too, which is a laugh considering they had the excellent Concorde system to learn from.... I have always thought it was flawed to have thrust levers that don't move! Concorde's were motor driven by the A/Ts which controlled the levers just like the pilot would, so you could feel what was going on when hand flying - unfortunately this hasn't been reactivated on sim at Brooklands, and has led to a few of even former crew forgetting that the A/T was engaged......🤣

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I switched some years ago. Couldn’t fly with the 2D cockpit now I’m afraid.

What you need is two screens like me - one for the panel and one for the VC, far more realistic and at the time when I installed it, far cheaper than a UHD monitor that I don't miss cause I've never had one! 

It’s a fascinating machine, which I must admit I know very little about. I’m afraid my farther-in-law was in charge of avionics engineering at BA at the time and had a lot to do with its decommissioning process.

I’m not sure if he was amongst those  who were actually calling for its decommission but he was certainly charged with overseeing it. I remember him telling me they just couldn’t get the parts to fix any of the  avionics anymore.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

1 hour ago, jon b said:

If I remember correctly the particular pilot in question who was experimenting with his Airbus and had the tail strike  was an ex leader of a certain crimson coloured military display team ! A’hem.

Ive not upgraded to V5 or updated my 747 yet as there have been a few reports of both products causing problems. As I wrote elsewhere on these forums it was bad enough having my real world 747 torn from my grasp , I didn’t want to also lose my simulated version as well in the same week 

I always wait a bit before upgrading to let others find all the bugs!  

28 minutes ago, jon b said:

It’s a fascinating machine, which I must admit I know very little about. I’m afraid my farther-in-law was in charge of avionics engineering at BA at the time and had a lot to do with its decommissioning process.

I’m not sure if he was amongst those  who were actually calling for its decommission but he was certainly charged with overseeing it. I remember him telling me they just couldn’t get the parts to fix any of the  avionics anymore.

Yes, it was becoming problematic there is no doubt and pre-2000 there was more energy (and money) to find ways round it or replacements that could be certified while keeping the aircraft on the line - this had been done with a few things already.  After the accident/SARS/financial down turn and 9/11 the resources to continue spending money on such things were not there.

I think the first sign of this was when they didn't start doing the modifications to G-BOAB which was next on the list.  'AB and 'AA were used for spares but originally the intention was to bring them back on the line - the passenger numbers never quite got there.  All a long time ago now.

My personal opinion that wasn't argued by those close to the operation, is that if neither the accident or 9/11 had happened, she would have gone through the "Relife 2" project to increase her usable cycles that would have taken the oldest in the fleet up to around 2012 at the latest, probably with reducing fleet to use as spares. Even with what had happened before retirement, I believe the plan was always to get to around 2007/2008 with the odd exemption from the CAA when it came to hours before major checks etc, which would have enabled her to have her 30th anniversary in 2006 (since intro into service) then be retired in real glory.  Much better to say "after 30 years" than "after 27".... The other side of the channel put the block on in the end. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jon b said:

Ouch! I bet he took some stick for that. Must have forgotten he wasn’t flying a Hawk!

VR is very good but only for short bursts otherwise I found it a bit claustrophobic. Escapism indeed.

I believe nose-wheel steering is the biggest problem. Given their reputation I’m sure it will soon be fixed. When all these restrictions are over it would be nice to meet again. By then we might even have the new Fulcrum yoke. 👍

All the best Jon.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, trumpetfrazz1 said:

What you need is two screens like me - one for the panel and one for the VC, far more realistic and at the time when I installed it, far cheaper than a UHD monitor that I don't miss cause I've never had one! 

Too late now Frazz. Couldn’t revert back to FullHD even for Concorde. Fingers remain fully crossed a 64-bit version will eventually become available and I can enjoy the VC in all its UHD glory.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

38 minutes ago, Canine Crew said:

To all, AH have just provided Cockpit Renders! https://fselite.net/previews/aeroplane-heaven-concorde-cockpit-renders/

Any thoughts? (Eyeing the author of the comment above 🙂)

Hope you are all safe

Canine

Too early to give a proper judgement IMO. The contours and indentations of the VC look good, but I am more excited to see the textures and gauges of the cockpit. ConcordeX by FSL misses the colors of the real-world pendant, which are more brownish.

1 hour ago, Canine Crew said:

To all, AH have just provided Cockpit Renders! https://fselite.net/previews/aeroplane-heaven-concorde-cockpit-renders/

Any thoughts? (Eyeing the author of the comment above 🙂)

Hope you are all safe

Canine

Being picky and with an eye for detail - the dial for changing the pitch bug which is on the inner side of each yoke looks too big, and it should only have "blanker flanges" to the left and right of the dial, not to the rear as I can see here.

Being picky though!

I'm sure it will LOOK good in the end.

Interestingly, Concorde had some specialties over most subsonic airliners:

- A pilot was never at risk of forgetting to extend the flaps before takeoff or landing, since Concorde had none 😉  (Sadly, forgetting to extend the flaps resulted in some crashes in airline history).

- You could push the throttles all the way forward and keep them in that position until descent (this was done on flight from Barbados to London), while with subsonic airliners, pilots are only allowed to keep the throttle setting at full for a limited time (to prevent excessive wear of the engines).

• Like 1