Sign in to follow this  
JAS8472

New screenshots, still no cirrus clouds

Hi altogether,

I just saw the new alpha-screenshots and I am really wondering if I‘m the only one here missing feather-like cirrus clouds?? There are so many tiny things being discussed / criticised, but nobody seems to care that there is just one cloud-type in the new sim 😳?

Anybody else noticed that?

Stefan

Well it seems each of us has a radar that locks on different things 😛 Because I am too focused on the land and now waiting for the road network to be born 😁

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

When they deliver the quality of clouds consistent with the screenshots I will be in atmospherics heaven since nothing of the kind was attempted before and will gladly forgive them if cirrus clouds were somehow missing. (For my IFR GA training cirrus clouds are very low on priority list).

Edited by michal
  • Like 3

I think I saw cirrus clouds on some screenshots, even recent ones. But don't ask me to find them now!

• Like 2

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I have noticed the same and wondering for quite some time why there are no cirrus clouds in the sim. Is it a technical issue or reason? Maybe it is much more difficult to achieve the same quality as with the other clouds for some reason? No idea, but I have not seen a single screenshot showing really typical high altitude cirrus until now. All other cloud types are absolutely outstanding for a PC sim by the way.

2 hours ago, Murmur said:

I think I saw cirrus clouds on some screenshots, even recent ones. But don't ask me to find them now!

Yes, I have seen them  too. They do exist. Just don't know in which video or screenshot.

Gaming Laptop:
MSI GS75 Stealth 5.6GHz Intel Core i9 - 10th gen 16 core CPU  -  32 GB DDR4 SDRAM  - 1TB SSD - RTX 2080 Super - 1920x1080 - 3 fans and cooling pipes.

They offer native support to ALL type of clouds, so don't worry for cirrus.

Maybe, you could refresh some information in this video.

• Like 2

Yes, I know they said they will support all could types. Question remains: Why we have not seen any really typical high altitude cirrus clouds in any of the released screenshots yet?

I agree that clouds are VERY important for aviation - clouds to aviation is like water to fish... the atmosphere is our environment and from everything I've seen so far, they have done a marvelous job replicating the atmosphere in this new MSFS. In fact, best I've ever seen. Hopefully the actual experience is just as good as the screenshots and short videos.

In the latest video where the airplane is flying over some oceanfront and then REALLY close to a rooftop in very gloomy conditions - it appeared the plane either stalled just as flying over the building or had some kind of induced turbulence (maybe wind shear?) - really neat!

• Like 3

Hi polosim,

I re-watched the Video ... there are no feather-like cirrus in it. The best thing the sim can do is obviously very thin cumulus-patches. 

23 hours ago, michal said:

gladly forgive them if cirrus clouds were somehow missing. (For my IFR GA training cirrus clouds are very low on priority list).

Ehm no. There is exactly zero reason not to include one of the most common cloud types seen irl. With that logic I could forgive them if they didn’t include outside views, since that’s totally unneeded. It’s a flight sim, you can’t fly or look at a plane from the outside.

More on topic though, what I wonder a lot more is about lenticulari or even castellani. Which I have yet to see irl, but lentis are also not that rare to see. But never seen in the sim so far. I’ve said it before and say it again, I do hope that „all cloud types“ includes these. 

Furthermore I hope for realistic cloud behavior when it comes to CBs. There’s nothing like flying over CBs at night with them constantly and nervously flashing lightning strikes, illuminating different parts of the cloud cluster.

On 5/8/2020 at 5:30 PM, JAS8472 said:

Hi altogether,

I just saw the new alpha-screenshots and I am really wondering if I‘m the only one here missing feather-like cirrus clouds?? There are so many tiny things being discussed / criticised, but nobody seems to care that there is just one cloud-type in the new sim 😳?

Anybody else noticed that?

Stefan

Keep in mind that it's still in Alpha. If I was Asobo, I would be focused on making the sim stable. Then I would add non essential functionalities, like new cloud types. I'm pretty sure that we'll see those clouds later on.

Tomáš Pokorný

sign.php?call=160   signature-dark.png

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, Thomasso said:

Keep in mind that it's still in Alpha. If I was Asobo, I would be focused on making the sim stable. Then I would add non essential functionalities, like new cloud types. I'm pretty sure that we'll see those clouds later on.

Given the outstanding visual quality of the other cloud types in their engine, I assume that it would take quite some development time to introduce a new cloud type with the same or even similar quality. I just hope that the mid level clouds that look more like altostratus or altocumulus that we have seen so far in the screenshots are not meant to be "cirrus". Anyway, even if realistic cirrus doesn't make it in the sim, I am more than blown away by the cloudscapes in this sim. Nothing to complain about actually.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Given the outstanding visual quality of the other cloud types in their engine, I assume that it would take quite some development time to introduce a new cloud type with the same or even similar quality. I just hope that the mid level clouds that look more like altostratus or altocumulus that we have seen so far in the screenshots are not meant to be "cirrus". Anyway, even if realistic cirrus doesn't make it in the sim, I am more than blown away by the cloudscapes in this sim. Nothing to complain about actually.

The clouds look much better than what's available even from 3rd party devs at the moment (hello Active Sky). 🙂

Tomáš Pokorný

sign.php?call=160   signature-dark.png

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

The current sims produce cirrus clouds way too often because they assume them for eye candy. Not every clear day has cirrus clouds. Quite the opposite.

I’ve seen them in MSFS. We just don’t know how realistic their rate of appearance is yet. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2