Sign in to follow this  
JasonD210

P3D version 5 graphics card

I have an Oculus Rift S.

I recently tried V5 of P3D with Stereo VR enabled as opposed to single pass. This is required to experience the "Enhanced Atmospherics" feature, such as fluffy clouds and so on. The performance was not acceptable. With only 'single pass' enabled, as opposed to stereo, it's fine but there are no fluffy clouds. Since my CPU is an 3.6gHz i9-9900K, and RAM is 32GB, replacing the 1060 GTX card seems to be the next move.

I don't want to spend a great amount on this, so am thinking of getting a GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER, but is it enough? Will that really make a significant difference to the performance? I don't want to spend any money just to get a minor performance improvement. I can live without fluffy clouds in that case.

Is anyone else using fluffy clouds in P3Dv5 VR? I'd be interested to hear about your specs and settings.

Cheers

Jason

Edited by JasonD210

17 minutes ago, JasonD210 said:

I have an Oculus Rift S.

I recently tried V5 of P3D with Stereo VR enabled as opposed to single pass. This is required to experience the "Enhanced Atmospherics" feature, such as fluffy clouds and so on. The performance was not acceptable. With only 'single pass' enabled, as opposed to stereo, it's fine but there are no fluffy clouds. Since my CPU is an 3.6gHz i9-9900K, and RAM is 32GB, replacing the 1060 GTX card seems to be the next move.

I don't want to spend a great amount on this, so am thinking of getting a GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER, but is it enough? Will that really make a significant difference to the performance? I don't want to spend any money just to get a minor performance improvement. I can live without fluffy clouds in that case.

Is anyone else using fluffy clouds in P3Dv5 VR? I'd be interested to hear about your specs and settings.

Cheers

Jason

Im not on v5, but i fly exclusively in VR on 4.5 and in my opinion a 1080ti is the absolute minimum for a good VR experience.  I use 200% default resolution on steam VR for visual clarity (so a bit higher than 4k resolution). I cant use more than 4x MSAA with dynamic lighting without becoming GPU limited.  I went from a 1080 to the 1080ti three years ago because the 1080 just didn't cut it.  The 2080 super is on par with the 1080ti but only has 8GB of VRAM and I know that I can easily go above 8 gigs with v4.5 so I would want as much VRAM as i could afford for v5.  If it were me I might look for a used 1080ti and plan on selling it and upgrading to the 3000 series once released, the pricing for the 2080ti is just ridiculous.  

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

I assume you are referring to the 11GB 1080ti which retails new at about $1000, and not the 6GB variant. Pretty expensive. I agree the pricing for the 2080 ti is insane, and not only that, but it eats up an insane amount of power so you have to be careful that your PSU can handle it.

I've been experimenting with the new  "Enhanced atmospherics" and it looks great but it's a monster of an fps killer. In VR in v5, I normally get a constant 40fps with England ORBX scenery in the default F22. If I turn "Enhanced atmospherics" on just to medium setting (which is the minimum you want or it just looks word not allowed), then the fps hovers erratically between 20 and 40 fps. Any higher setting with "Enhanced atmospherics" is a slide show.

So you don't recommend the GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER? I reckon you can keep it from going over 8GB by keeping the textures to 2048.

Edited by JasonD210

2 hours ago, JasonD210 said:

So you don't recommend the GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER? I reckon you can keep it from going over 8GB by keeping the textures to 2048.

I am running P3DV4.5 with a RTX2070 Super, driving my Oculus Rift S. With a supersampling rate of 1.5 to 1.6 the 2070S is often at its limit. I doubt that you will have a satifying VR experience with the 2060S, except you stick to simple aircraft and not too demanding scenery.

Felix

3 hours ago, JasonD210 said:

I assume you are referring to the 11GB 1080ti which retails new at about $1000, and not the 6GB variant. Pretty expensive. I agree the pricing for the 2080 ti is insane, and not only that, but it eats up an insane amount of power so you have to be careful that your PSU can handle it.

I've been experimenting with the new  "Enhanced atmospherics" and it looks great but it's a monster of an fps killer. In VR in v5, I normally get a constant 40fps with England ORBX scenery in the default F22. If I turn "Enhanced atmospherics" on just to medium setting (which is the minimum you want or it just looks word not allowed), then the fps hovers erratically between 20 and 40 fps. Any higher setting with "Enhanced atmospherics" is a slide show.

Given the current state of gpu pricing I would go for a used 1080ti for now, then sell it and plan on upgrading to the 3000 series.  I know people are afraid to buy 1080ti's because of mining but the truth is a miner might not want to run their card maxed out because the power draw would hurt their profit.  I watched a der8auer video the other day where he said most miners would want to run their card at 80% power.  And with the overbuilt VRM on the 1080ti I would roll the dice on it if I didnt have one already and wanted a good VR experience.  I just dont think the 2060 super will cut it.  

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

I recently swapped from a 2060 to a 2070 super, well worth the price and recouped half the cost selling the 2060 used. I think you are better off spending the extra money for a 2070 super or used 1080ti if you can find it. Especially since v5 will use your gpu far more than 4.5. Doesn’t make sense trying to cheap out on the video card when you have obviously dropped cash on a 9900k setup. It’s hampering you.

Edited by CaptainNick
  • Like 1

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

Thanks for the advice.

So it's back to throwing tons of money at it again, just to get fluffy clouds. This always happens when I get into Flight Simulation. It's VR that set me off this time. I've been running 4.5 with my old 1060 GTX for the last few weeks since I got my Oculus, and it's just about been OK apart from when I've had a complex aircraft at a complex airport. For example the A2A Constellation at ORBX Stockholm was a no go, but other than that it's been doable.

In version 5 performance is better until you turn on the fluff. I have concluded tonight that "enhanced atmospherics" at medium resolution, which is the highest setting I can use, is just not acceptable. It creates ugly, pixelated boundaries where it touches hills. It must be set to at least high to look good, and that of course brings my fps to a standstill.

Edited by JasonD210

Reality is you can’t expect a 4 yr old mid range graphics card to excel at a modern SIM title in VR. It just doesn’t have the power to push the pixels and effects. It’s one thing to play beat sabre or Arizona sunshine. These are titles designed from the ground up and work within the constraints of VR, the sim is not. Much much much farther draw distances, texture resolutions, triangles etc.

Nick Silver

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

6 hours ago, CaptainNick said:

Reality is you can’t expect a 4 yr old mid range graphics card to excel at a modern SIM title in VR. It just doesn’t have the power to push the pixels and effects. It’s one thing to play beat sabre or Arizona sunshine. These are titles designed from the ground up and work within the constraints of VR, the sim is not. Much much much farther draw distances, texture resolutions, triangles etc.

The 2060 RTX super, which I was talking about getting, is not a four year old mid-range card.

Edited by JasonD210

I support the idea to collect yourself a used 11Gb Vram card like a 1080ti or similar when using P3dv5.

I've sold my old but very good 1060 6Gb last year and collected me the brand new 2070 Super 8Gb for P3dv4.5 and it was giving me a 20% boost overall in graphics.

Short after that I collected me a used Titan X on watercooling with 12Gb Vram and returned the 2070 super to the shop and i'm glad I did it because my Reverb is using with V5 an average of 9,5 Gb Vram and that is without Atmosferic settings. The GPU performance is between a 2080 and a 2080ti BUT with 12Gb Vram.

Flying ORBX TE stuff is bringing me to 10.5 Gb so do your math carefully.

A Reverb is hammering harder on a GPU than a Rift-S but I think a 9900 CPU bottlenecking with a 2060 with V5 in mind is not a good idea.

Happy landings...

Edited by simba_nl

2 hours ago, JasonD210 said:

The 2060 RTX super, which I was talking about getting, is not a four year old mid-range card.

your 1060 is, which is what I meant. 2060 Super: Sure it has 8gb but it also is lacking in horsepower which becomes evident when you try to run higher settings especially in VR. If you were running only a 1080p 60hz monitor, sure go for it. But you are hampering yourself in the long run when it comes to VR. 

Nick Silver

Well, I went out a bought a GeForce RTX 2070 8GB WINDFORCE 2X as they had one in stock and in my local shop and the price was OK..ish. This will have to do for now.

Hi, p3d v5 will hammer your GPU in VR stereo, much more so than 4.5 single pass.

Simple answer is you want a 2080TI to do this even half properly. 

I fly v5 VR (with Truesky on) and my 2080TI hits 97%+ usage, needs a little overclock to get things going smoothly.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

8 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

Simple answer is you want a 2080TI to do this even half properly. 

I fly v5 VR (with Truesky on) and my 2080TI hits 97%+ usage, needs a little overclock to get things going smoothly.

Exactly. Spend another $1000 to get the fastest video card available to get a "half-good" result out of p3d. What setting are you using for cloud resolution? I have mine on high and I'm getting 25 30 fps in A2A constellation at a UK Extreme airport, ORBX UK sceneries and Active SKY. I'm happy with that.

53 minutes ago, JasonD210 said:

Exactly. Spend another $1000 to get the fastest video card available to get a "half-good" result out of p3d. What setting are you using for cloud resolution? I have mine on high and I'm getting 25 30 fps in A2A constellation at a UK Extreme airport, ORBX UK sceneries and Active SKY. I'm happy with that.

Flying with Rift S/CV1/Quest/Odyssey+, with Rift S getting 90% of the use for fligthsim.

To be fair to the 2080Ti, it is better than "half good" in terms of performance here, though the next gen cards will be better for P3D v5.

To answer your question, my truesky clouds are on second-highest setting. Obviously you have to play with sliders a bit to get VR working well.

At the moment, P3D v5 is my favourite VR sim, as I find it looks a lot better than the depressing world of XP11 11.50b6, and AF FS2 is still too limited. Although water in v5 VR still has a problem that needs fixing, so I would not fly across the pond with this sim! 

v5 performs much better than v4 - I have been flying VR over London tonight, which never worked for me before - but it needs cutting-edge hardware to shine.

Once single pass works with Truesky performance should be a little better, and I'm confident that LM will improve the implementation of DX12 during the life of the new sim.

Edited by OzWhitey

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."