Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Does Windows 10 2004 update really give you 1GB of VRAM back

I'm curious if this is true. Cause I need all the VRAM I can get in P3D v5. I have a 1080 ftw 8GB, and in the sim I get a max of 6.6 - 6.7GB of VRAM. I know that the other is taken up by windows, but with the latest 2004 update I heard you gain an additional 1GB which should give you a max of 7.6 - 7.7GB of VRAM, for those with 8GB GPUs. If that is true, how can you get the new 2004 update?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I went from 6.7 to 7.2 (or 7.3 I'll check when I get home) when going to the 2004 update. That's from the P3D in-sim display. Using an ASUS 1080.

How do you get the 2004 update?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

It should be coming this month for regular users. If you really can't wait you can enter the Release Preview ring for Windows Insiders.

Edited by Prpn

Yep, I am now at 7.1.

Vincent Rouleau

AMD Ryzen 7950X3d / 32.0GB G.SKILL Neo DDR5 6000 / Gigabyte  GeForce® RTX 4080 16Gig / / Samsung C49RG9 49' /ASUS  PB287QQ ‑ 27" UHD / AGAMMIX 2TB / Samsung 970 PRO 1TB /  PNY SSD 1TB / Windows 11 / Gigabyte B650M Elite Motherboard

I installed the Windows 10 2020-04 update but didnt get extra VRAM. I have RTX2060 with 6GB of VRAM. Anyone know why I didnt get any extra VRAM?

11 minutes ago, Prpn said:

It should be coming this month for regular users. If you really can't wait you can enter the Release Preview ring for Windows Insiders.

Could you please explain how to do this?

Win 10 2004 gives back variable amounts of VRAM when compared to Win 10 1909. Win 10 used to reserve 20% of your VRAM for use by the OS. Now it reserves roughly 1GB of VRAM.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, captain420 said:

https://insider.windows.com/en-us/

Sign in or create and outlook account here and then it will tell you how to update.

• Like 1

~Spencer Hoefer

MOBO: Gigabye Aorus z590 elite | CPU: Intel i9-10900k  | RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS 32GB DDR4 3200 |GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti 11GBOS: Windows 10 

22 minutes ago, NightOfDreams said:

I installed the Windows 10 2020-04 update but didnt get extra VRAM. I have RTX2060 with 6GB of VRAM. Anyone know why I didnt get any extra VRAM?

😂 

• Like 1

RTX2080Ti:  9.2  -> 10.1 

• Like 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

38 minutes ago, NightOfDreams said:

That's an optional update.  I don't think it's the one they're talking about. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bcuomo said:

That's an optional update.  I don't think it's the one they're talking about. 

Correct. It's a full version update not a patch. Versions of Win 10 are "release date numbered"  like AIRACs. Anyway, a 6 GB card isn't going to see much gain, only going from 4.8 to 5.0. I guess that any little bit helps, though.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Correct. It's a full version update not a patch. Versions of Win 10 are "release date numbered"  like AIRACs. Anyway, a 6 GB card isn't going to see much gain, only going from 4.8 to 5.0. I guess that any little bit helps, though.

Thanks for explaining and not mocking like MikeyMike when I asked a legitimate question. I guess that's how new people who don't have intricate knowledge of systems are treated round here. I've only had a modern gaming PC for a month now... seesh, yeah I have a lot to learn. I know. I was expecting to see a small increase even with 6GB so not sure what's funny...?

Edited by NightOfDreams

1 hour ago, captain420 said:

Proceed at your own risk.

Open Settings, go to Updates & Security, select Windows Insider Program in the left side menu (should be bottom option). Sign up with your Microsoft account and enroll in the Release Preview ring. It is fairly self explanatory. Once enrolled in the Insider Program I believe you need to reboot once, then search for updates and it should find it, though it may take some time. You can also download an ISO and do a clean install.

I'd encourage you to just wait out this month if you have never worked with Insider builds before. It is not really worth the hassle if you are going to get the update in 2-3 weeks anyway. Insider builds are most interesting if you go in the fast ring and see all the latest changes before it goes into stable/regular Windows 10. Some builds might have bugs that you don't want on your simming rig so it is usually easiest to wait it out. Don't fix what ain't broken and all that.

Edited by Prpn