Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Question about EA (Enhanced Atmospherics)

With Active Sky, I started playing around with Enhanced Atmospherics and I'm not sure I know how to use it, or set it up, or configure it.  I like the effect it has in this rainy weather we are having on the east coast today.  I am using it with REX SkyForce clouds and REX Skies (in SF) as well.

I get flickering on the tops of trees and mountain ranges when I tick EA on.  I DO NOT get that with it off.  Should I even be using it with the new Active Sky?  Should I be using EA with SkyForce?

I'd like a few little tutorial sentences  or direction on how I should exactly use or configure EA in P3dv5.

Look forward to hearing your opinions and your tips.

Stan

Edited by spilok

Personally, I relegate EA to the "DX10 Preview" of years back. It's just a tease of the potential down the road but not fully implemented.  It's there to try but for any serious flying I turn it off. It produces a few nice effects for the sky but it's cloud handling is non existent.

Vic

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Personally, I don’t use Enhanced Atmospherics. It’s a beta, too much trouble (rain over clouds, artifacts of scenery overlapping with clouds, haze too blue) .

Not realistic. Just a demonstration.

Guillaume

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K OC 5.5 GHz▪︎  ZOTAC RTX 4090 Trinity OC ▪︎ 64GB Crucial Ballistix  ▪︎ Windows 11 Pro (23H2) ▪︎ 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive et MSFS) ▪︎ 3x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA SSD ▪︎  Corsair RMX 1000W 80 plus Gold PSU  ▪︎ LIAN-LI ODYSSEY X black case

16 minutes ago, spilok said:

I get flickering on the tops of trees and mountain ranges when I tick EA on.  I DO NOT get that with it off.  Should I even be using it with the new Active Sky?  Should I be using EA with SkyForce?

Stan

I think we have to live with it for now. I have found a small go-around-for me. These artifacts are more noticeable on ground. That's why I disable TrueSky EA on ground but activate it when airborne.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

These are "surprising" comments, to say the least.

I was under the impression that most simmers (on this forum) were really into TrueSky!  Looks like these comments validate what I've been experiencing.  

Do you think Lockheed will improve this enhancement in a future hotfix?

Stan

I don't expect it to be corrected by a HF. Probably we have to wait until 5.1 or 5.2, but I'd prefer to be proven wrong.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Yes this is expected LM is aware and working with Simul.

Guillaume

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K OC 5.5 GHz▪︎  ZOTAC RTX 4090 Trinity OC ▪︎ 64GB Crucial Ballistix  ▪︎ Windows 11 Pro (23H2) ▪︎ 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive et MSFS) ▪︎ 3x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA SSD ▪︎  Corsair RMX 1000W 80 plus Gold PSU  ▪︎ LIAN-LI ODYSSEY X black case

15 minutes ago, spilok said:

Do you think Lockheed will improve this enhancement in a future hotfix?

Stan

Flickering on tops of trees etc, have been acknowledged by LM on their forum (should you be able to access it 😉) and they are working on it. I get them, too.

Still, it's remarkable they release it in that state, beta or not. As Vic states, something like the DX10 preview.

Kind regards, Michael

Edited by pmb

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

27 minutes ago, pmb said:

Flickering on tops of trees etc, have been acknowledged by LM on their forum (should you be able to access it 😉) and they are working on it. I get them, too.

Still, it's remarkable they release it in that state, beta or not. As Vic states, something like the DX10 preview.

Kind regards, Michael

I quite like the beta when used with Clear Skies.. great for flying in Orbx PNW.. and yes, we actually have clear skies right now :smile:

• Upvote 2

Bert

The thing to bear in mind with TruSky is that it has mainly been implemented with games of the first person type to produce realistic sky and weather effects, which it has achieved very well, but most of the time that's meant you are viewing what it can do from the perspective of the ground looking up at a sky, and that has meant that solving the kind of issues which crop up for flight sim usage are to a good extent, fairly new even for TruSky in spite of its undeniable quality, capabilities, innovation and utility.

Dovetail was one of the first developers to consider its use for a flight sim with FSW and so that's where tweaking the technology for that sort of application began, but that came to a halt when FSW did, so Lockheed Martin are kind of doing the same, in feeling their way forward with how to implement it. There are clearly things to sort out with both Lockheed Martin and Simul, but given that Lockheed Martin just got awarded a NASA contract for producing some of the vehicles for the next moonshot, it's not like they are unused to aiming high an solving problems, and Simul has been pretty much universally praised for its innovation too, so I think we're in good hands.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I think it has a lot of potential honestly.

• Like 1

Federico Sucari

15 minutes ago, fs1 said:

I think it has a lot of potential honestly.

I do too!  That's why it's fortunate to get some of the expert opinions from the simmers on this forum.  These thoughts and ideas are definitely read by LM.  Guaranteed!

Stan

In its current state, aside from the scantly present cloud shadows and 2 cloud layers, found the legacy sky system to be more accurate during dusk as it matched the outside sky more closely in transition while trusky started going orange and dark a little in advance.

I like TrueSky with P3D v5 and ASP3D.

200509073258932625.jpg

Edited by eriktu
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, eriktu said:

I like TrueSky with P3D v5 and ASP3D.

Nice shot! What plane is that you flying?

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV