Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Active Sky Beta v5 usage report...

I have been using, or trying to use, the AS P3D v5 Beta for about an hour.  Here are my findings on my system:

1.  With certainty, and for whatever reason,  P3D v5 Beta on my running of P3Dv5 consumes over a GB of vRAM, resulting in my three vRAM exhaustion CTD's...as well as P3D booting me out of TrueSky in the background.  A vRAM memory leak?  I dunno...but this is happening no matter.

2. When I went back to the stand alone (it does not install any part of itself into the ADD-On folder) the freeware FSXWX 1.6.1 weather injector,  I had 1.2 more GB's of my vRAM budget and did not for the entire session, CTD or turn off (in the background) TrueSky.

3.  Where I had over my FBO, under TrueSky (when it was still enabled!)  It was just a slate grey atmospherics, no clouds, no forms...just dull and grey.  When I went back to FSXWX 1.6.1,  I had wonderful lush, and full clouds, intermixed into the dense TrueSky atmospherics.  This leads me to believe that Active Sky P3D v5 Beta is not interfacing properly with P3Dv5 at this time...and I wonder if that conflict is what is building into a massive upswing of vRAM assets?   Clearly, there is a world of difference in quality and quantity of visuals between P3D v5 Beta and FSXWX 1.6.1 stand alone.  To myself, and clearly to myself, it is FSXWX that is truly interacting and successfully injecting current weather (real time) into P3Dv5.

Personally, (and from usage observation and results) I don't think the release Beta is indeed working and interfacing with P3Dv5 at this juncture...and that is the cause of many reports of no clouds, low clouds, CTD's..and other Beta and P3Dv5 interaction.  Just my thoughts...and what I see happening on my system.  If I do NOT use the Beta at the present, I get no vRAM CTD's...none...and get updated and wonderful current sky/atmospherics/ during the flight with FSXWX 1.6.1.  Clearly, there is something not right at the moment with the current Betal. When it is in the background 'running', A.S. v5 Beta, I see a 1.2 stagnant increase to my vRAM, until TrueSky gets booted...just before the mask comes up that I have reached my vRAM capacity..and either dump to Desktop, or risk a Graphics Driver Hang...

Edited by Sesquashtoo
  • Like 1

Here folks, is a three screen shot demonstration of what I am reporting.  In this take off,  FSXWX 1.6.1 is injecting current weather near the heart of Detroit.  You can see that the sim is ripped wide open!

With that sky loaded up...with TrueSky enabled...and ALL of that super dense auto-gen and lighting in the grabs...I am only at 5.5/.7 out of /6.7.  When I had AS P3D in v5 mode running, I was at 6.6/6.7!!!!  Just doing what you see here, and then a warning mask and CTD..but..with only a slate grey sky. No clouds...nothing.

Is there at current a problem. Yep...but it is only Beta...and that's what we are all here for..to participate...and report.

Here are the pics of my P3Dv5 graphic madness...and look at my total vRAM consumption.  Totally acceptable and levels that won't bork me out...with FSXWX 1.6.1 at the live weather injection helm...

2020-5-9-2-10-3-123.jpg

2020-5-9-2-10-45-815.jpg

2020-5-9-2-9-41-451.jpg

Edited by Sesquashtoo
  • Like 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

Figured it all out, lol

1...if I want clouds using TrueSky (Enhanced) I get them using FSWWX 1.6.1.  This will inject cloud scapes into TrueSky.

2. For non TrueSky...AS P3Dv5 works like a charm, and does not hog any vRAM...for with the sim cranked up on every tab possible, I only am using as you will see in the following grab...about half my alloted 6.7 vRAM.  Hopefully, we'll see cloud scapes eventually with A.S. P3D using P3Dv5. Until then...I'm happy with the following...on my way from Michigan to Myrtle Beach:

2020-5-9-7-1-53-892.jpg

"..over and out..."

• Like 1

Very interesting observations, thank you! One more question - do I need FSUIPC to use FSXWX? 

Thanks! 

27 minutes ago, LarsA said:

Very interesting observations, thank you! One more question - do I need FSUIPC to use FSXWX? 

Thanks! 

Yes...version 6 for P3Dv5.  You get fantastic cloudscapes...that for now, A.S. P3D v5 does not inject.

In the FSXWX screen, make sure to enable and tick on the P3D Vol Fog...

SimConnect calls and looks for your FSUIPC install.  When you get to your open screen, is when FSXWX 'sees' your FSUIPC v6 and connects to it. From there on...just enjoy! 🙂

Edited by Sesquashtoo

Since your first post was shown to be wrong, how about deleting it?

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

29 minutes ago, pgde said:

Since your first post was shown to be wrong, how about deleting it?

That was using TrueSky..the vRAM consumption...not 2D.

1 hour ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Yes...version 6 for P3Dv5.  You get fantastic cloudscapes...that for now, A.S. P3D v5 does not inject.

In the FSXWX screen, make sure to enable and tick on the P3D Vol Fog...

SimConnect calls and looks for your FSUIPC install.  When you get to your open screen, is when FSXWX 'sees' your FSUIPC v6 and connects to it. From there on...just enjoy! 🙂

I will try it - thanks a lot! 

ASP3D beta works fine for me, I just made sure, that module (network config) on P3D machine runs as administrator and everything is fine, as it beta it will have some drawbacks of course, and I don’t use Truesky until LM removes (beta) from “button”,

Rado

• Like 1

Rado

i7 4770K@4,1Ghz HT on since release of MSFS
1080 Ti 11GB 
32GB DDR3 RAM
Samsung SSDs

If you guys want to use AS with Truesky enabled, go to AS Options/Clouds/Max cloud layers and set it to 1 instead of 5.

• Like 1

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

8 minutes ago, David Roch said:

If you guys want to use AS with Truesky enabled, go to AS Options/Clouds/Max cloud layers and set it to 1 instead of 5.

That will inject clouds in TrueSky?  Ok..will try that David...and thank you!

Post Edit...Dave...still will NOT inject clouds...you only get the flat haze layer...here is AS P3D with just one layer...but no clouds. You still need to use FSXWX 1.6.1 that WILL inject and control TrueSky clouds...AS P3D at this time, will not..

2020-5-9-9-17-40-605.jpg

Dave...here I am once more to my injected 2D (non TrueSky enabled) from Rex Texture Direct Enhanced...three layers of gorgeous clouds, and back to non-borking vRAM usage...

2020-5-9-9-21-27-511.jpg

Edited by Sesquashtoo

I am using AS with TrueSky and I have not touched the Max cloud layers setting.

When comparing to FSGRW, sudden weather changes are still there, but winds aloft adjustments seem to be smoother.

Edited by GCBraun

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Yes, Mitch 😉

1 Layer:
kkOewa.jpg

5 Layers:
JHARoZ.jpg

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.