Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

V5 Performance reevaluated

Now that we have Active Sky for weather, PMDG 747, several large airports and ai Traffic (AIG AIM), I thought it's time to reevaluate the performance of the new sim (v5HF1). Thus I made some tests with my PMDG 747, placing the aircraft at that runway where I'm expecting the hardest performance impact. TrueSky AE is active. Settings are moderate-high.

here my results:

KSFO (FlightBeam)   28L  (ORBX NCA):  5.8-6.2 GB VRAM, 24-27 fps (locked @30)

KLAX  (FSDT)   07L  (ORBX SCA):  7.2-7.5 GB VRAM, 14-15 fps (locked @30)

EGLL (Aerosoft)   09R  (ORBX TE GB):  7.5-7.8 GB VRAM, 18-20 fps (locked @30)

I might gain perhaps 2 fps by fine tuning my settings but usually not much more, as long as I don't give up some important features like ai traffic. Overall, it seems that performance is a bit better than in v4.5 but it is not as much as we may have expected. Performance at KSFO is pretty good now, but it was not too bad before. KLAX is still a performance killer, not sure if I gained any performance there. Most surprisingly, performance at EGLL is now sufficient for me. If I compare with 4.5 it is an increase of at least 3-4 fps which makes a big difference with those small fps numbers in general.

Edited by Nemo
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

The hotfix killed my fps though. I was using true sky and pmdg and getting up to 40fps at heathrow. After the hotfix that fps went down to around 20 with the same settings. Lowering the settings buys back some fps but nothing like I had in the release version.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

P3D & X-Plane 11 - Videos and streaming @ V Special 1

What I said weeks ago. Thanks that I am not the only one seeing this, I wonder what CPU you use? What I noticed is the FPS gain by setting unlimited is huge, way bigger than it was in v4.5. No idea if this results in blurries like it does in v4.5, looking forward to FFTF Dynamic though...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

It was normal to expect that performance will go down when most popular heavy addons become available. Did anyone think otherwise? 

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

14 minutes ago, Johnny19 said:

It was normal to expect that performance will go down when most popular heavy addons become available. Did anyone think otherwise? 

Read the whole post. The point seems to make comparison between 4.5 and 5.0 HF1 finally with the same performance-eager add-ons.

Edited by vbazillio
  • Like 1

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

48 minutes ago, AnkH said:

What I said weeks ago. Thanks that I am not the only one seeing this, I wonder what CPU you use? What I noticed is the FPS gain by setting unlimited is huge, way bigger than it was in v4.5. No idea if this results in blurries like it does in v4.5, looking forward to FFTF Dynamic though...

Chris, I'm using a 7820X with 8 cores @ 4.8 Ghz, see my sig. Up to now I limited fps within P3D. But now, you may be right I should go to unlimited. It looks that PMDG does not eat too much VRAM. With 4.5, I've made some good experiences in limiting fps outside the sim (via RTSS) to the half of my monitors exact refresh rate ( 59.986).

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Somehow my v5 does not accept the FPS limit via nVIDIA Driver. Might try other means. Interesting that you also see the FPS drop with an eightcore CPU. Did you try HT on once?

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

Somehow my v5 does not accept the FPS limit via nVIDIA Driver. Might try other means. Interesting that you also see the FPS drop with an eightcore CPU. Did you try HT on once?

Did you try this?

I did try HT once, but I didn't get any improvement neither in performance nor in smoothness, instead I got a BSOD after some minutes (probably due to improper overclock/overheat). So I didn't investigate this further.

- Harry 

5 hours ago, Nemo said:

Now that we have Active Sky for weather, PMDG 747, several large airports and ai Traffic (AIG AIM), I thought it's time to reevaluate the performance of the new sim (v5HF1). Thus I made some tests with my PMDG 747, placing the aircraft at that runway where I'm expecting the hardest performance impact. TrueSky AE is active. Settings are moderate-high.

here my results:

KSFO (FlightBeam)   28L  (ORBX NCA):  5.8-6.2 GB VRAM, 24-27 fps (locked @30)

KLAX  (FSDT)   07L  (ORBX SCA):  7.2-7.5 GB VRAM, 14-15 fps (locked @30)

EGLL (Aerosoft)   09R  (ORBX TE GB):  7.5-7.8 GB VRAM, 18-20 fps (locked @30)

I might gain perhaps 2 fps by fine tuning my settings but usually not much more, as long as I don't give up some important features like ai traffic. Overall, it seems that performance is a bit better than in v4.5 but it is not as much as we may have expected. Performance at KSFO is pretty good now, but it was not too bad before. KLAX is still a performance killer, not sure if I gained any performance there. Most surprisingly, performance at EGLL is now sufficient for me. If I compare with 4.5 it is an increase of at least 3-4 fps which makes a big difference with those small fps numbers in general.

I just tried v5 for the first time with the pmdg 747, my findings are similar to yours.  I loaded up with the settings I use for 4.5 but without any scenery addons yet and the performance is not any better than what I was seeing with 4.5 with the full suite of orbx and addon airports.  In fact I noticed that my gpu usage was considerably less with v5 and my cpu usage was higher.  Looks like my quad core cpu is bottlenecking my system as much as it was with 4.5, if not more.  I thought v5 was supposed to shift usage to the gpu?

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

13 minutes ago, Pilot53 said:

I just tried v5 for the first time with the pmdg 747, my findings are similar to yours.  I loaded up with the settings I use for 4.5 but without any scenery addons yet and the performance is not any better than what I was seeing with 4.5 with the full suite of orbx and addon airports.  In fact I noticed that my gpu usage was considerably less with v5 and my cpu usage was higher.  Looks like my quad core cpu is bottlenecking my system as much as it was with 4.5, if not more.  I thought v5 was supposed to shift usage to the gpu?

You are right, but the GPU is fed by the CPU and maybe 4 cores is not enough to fully charge the GPU in P3Dv5.

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

6 hours ago, Nemo said:

KLAX is still a performance killer, not sure if I gained any performance there.

The only thing sure, it's NOT the airport:

- PMDG 747 just updated.

- Active Sky Open Beta

- TrueSky is enabled, with Cloud resolution as Medium

- UtLive at 100% but please note how much the fps increase by turning off AI traffic, almost reaching 60 fps on external view.

The only thing I don't have, is OrbX so, clearly, whatever fps problems you have, are not caused by the airport. Notice how much less VRAM it's in use for me. I'm using 4K textures. Of course, I don't crank all sliders to the right and, if you cannot reach 30 fps, it's best you keep the frame rate unlocked.

Have you maybe raised the road traffic slider a lot ? There are a lot of highways around KLAX, and if you have OrbX there are even more, so if you have too high settings for road traffic, that insane amount of cars generated by those roads will surely affect fps. Los Angeles traffic is annoying even in a sim...

I have a 2080Ti, like you, but my CPU is WAY worse, since it's an old i7-6700 NOT overclocked.

Edited by virtuali
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Matthew James de Bohun said:

The hotfix killed my fps though. I was using true sky and pmdg and getting up to 40fps at heathrow. After the hotfix that fps went down to around 20 with the same settings. Lowering the settings buys back some fps but nothing like I had in the release version.

Did you switch off the texture streaming in the options?

15 minutes ago, Matthew James de Bohun said:

Sure did thanks.

Is it better now?

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

i tried the pmdg 747-400 in Frankfurt today 3,5 use of gpu memory i have a gtx 1080ti i have not set all to max