Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

V5 Performance reevaluated

Just now, GSalden said:

MSFS has also its issues, so every sim has positive and negative points. I know several MSFS beta testers.

Don’t think that there is a flightsim that has all the eyecandy, all the realism and the best franerate without any stutters.

And the hardware to accomplish all the above does not even exist...

I totally agree with you - I'd love to say more about MSFS obviously I can't but it sounds like you've been told a few things about the sim.  All I really meant was this P3D and MSFS cannot be compared as they are two completely different sims.  It's going to be especially interesting what happens after the dust settles with MSFS but I do believe both will thrive.

• Upvote 2

system i9 10850K NVidia RTX3090 24GB Samsung SSD980 m.2 1TB (x2) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD Seagate 2TB external drive Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB SSD Asus B460M-PLUS Mobo 32GB GSkill DDR4 3000mhz Ram using P3D v5.3

7 minutes ago, ywg256 said:

I totally agree with you - I'd love to say more about MSFS obviously I can't but it sounds like you've been told a few things about the sim.  All I really meant was this P3D and MSFS cannot be compared as they are two completely different sims.  It's going to be especially interesting what happens after the dust settles with MSFS but I do believe both will thrive.

You can't say anything, but you did say something. The only two sims thriving on my system are P3D v4.5 & XPlane 11. Most people who only sim in P3D have no idea of what they are missing.

Back on topic: The user of P3D v5 can NOT put every add-on that is required to make it a great sim and not expect some loss in performance. It's the cumulative effect that leads to the CTD. In real life what often leads to an aviation accident is the cumulative effect of mistake after mistake.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

What I really dont get is the loss of FPS within one session and how you bring it back: I can start at EGLL at around 25FPS, then after a while FPS go down over few minutes, down to 8-10. A simple switch to the menue, clicking some stuff without actually changing something, then on "cancel" and bam, FPS are up to where they were after starting the sim. Ridiculous.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

1 minute ago, DJJose said:

You can't say anything, but you did say something. The only two sims thriving on my system are P3D v4.5 & XPlane 11. Most people who only sim in P3D have no idea of what they are missing.

Back on topic: The user of P3D v5 can NOT put every add-on that is required to make it a great sim and not expect some loss in performance. It's the cumulative effect that leads to the CTD. In real life what often leads to an aviation accident is the cumulative effect of mistake after mistake.

I'm allowed to say exactly what I did say which is just a generalized comment that they are two completely different products.  Technically I haven't shown or said anything nor will I. 

I agree with you but what he is experiencing in V5....If his hardware is truly top of the line even with all of the add-ons pumped in he should be getting better than what he is.

system i9 10850K NVidia RTX3090 24GB Samsung SSD980 m.2 1TB (x2) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD Seagate 2TB external drive Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB SSD Asus B460M-PLUS Mobo 32GB GSkill DDR4 3000mhz Ram using P3D v5.3

although I think my gpu is still not fully utilized because of AMD driver issues, with unlimited @4k with sliders pretty much right, True sky enabled, active sky, pmdg 747 and aig traffic I have now 20 -22 fps at egll with TE south.

so for me it's 10 fps gain I could only see minimal bluries but now I can start and land way more fluid at egll.

now waiting for AMD and Fslabs 

Edited by 331BK

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

I'm so confused.  To v5 or not to v5.

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

3 minutes ago, Dreamflight767 said:

I'm so confused.  To v5 or not to v5.

Having fired up P3D again after a long time, I'm going right back to XP11.  Performance just isn't there with P3D (I have v4.5), and it never will be since V2, V3, V4, V5, and Vx are essentially still just modified versions of FSX.  The platform is simply too old and all these updates only do so much to keep it relevant.  It's unfortunate since I've made some great memories with P3D, but it doesn't run the way an application in 2020 should

• Like 1

Mark Javornik

5 minutes ago, markjj said:

Having fired up P3D again after a long time, I'm going right back to XP11.  Performance just isn't there with P3D (I have v4.5), and it never will be since V2, V3, V4, V5, and Vx are essentially still just modified versions of FSX.  The platform is simply too old and all these updates only do so much to keep it relevant.  It's unfortunate since I've made some great memories with P3D, but it doesn't run the way an application in 2020 should

Agreed but looks pretty great with all the addons and performs well on my fully loaded config,will do until ms sim is full up with addons, tried xplane a couple of times but couldnt get into it probably due to the massive investment in addons

Edited by suchw

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

22 minutes ago, suchw said:

Agreed but looks pretty great with all the addons and performs well on my fully loaded config,will do until ms sim is full up with addons, tried xplane a couple of times but couldnt get into it probably due to the massive investment in addons

I second your comments.  One of two big things for me as well is the amount of money spent on add-ons.  Secondly, it feels as though I can finally get that smooth experience flying in and out of most places which makes the sim enjoyable to use. Dreamflight, v5 still has a ways to go however it's definitely worth the jump in my opinion and every day more of the payware stuff is coming with v5 compatibility.  I even have some very old scenery working perfectly IE Latinvfr TTCP and TSIM TUPJ to name a couple so with some minor tweaking that won't break the sim, even a lot of the older stuff can work in v5. 

25 minutes ago, suchw said:

Having fired up P3D again after a long time, I'm going right back to XP11

Isn't that an old platform as well? Today, after a long time I fired up Aerofly FS2 and (yes no weather engine, no AI traffic exists for it) the way it runs is just different. This product is far from being perfect but it seems to be the only one using a truly new engine. Prepar3D is FSX, X-Plane even with Vulkan is just X-Plane and MSFS, well ....

Hans

There will be another hotfix, I can say with high probability - there were some clues to this on LM's forum.  Maybe that is the reason why Leonardo and FSLabs are still waiting to release their birds for V5.  I know they are testing stuff.

Who knows 

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

5 minutes ago, ywg256 said:

I second your comments.  One of two big things for me as well is the amount of money spent on add-ons.  Secondly, it feels as though I can finally get that smooth experience flying in and out of most places which makes the sim enjoyable to use. Dreamflight, v5 still has a ways to go however it's definitely worth the jump in my opinion and every day more of the payware stuff is coming with v5 compatibility.  I even have some very old scenery working perfectly IE Latinvfr TTCP and TSIM TUPJ to name a couple so with some minor tweaking that won't break the sim, even a lot of the older stuff can work in v5. 

For the first time im in a happy place with p3d and VR, whilst im excited about new ms sim wont bother me at all is its another flight as im already happy,ill install it but will be a long time before i would cut over fully to the new sim, i have so much addons and hardware for p3d

Edited by suchw

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

3 minutes ago, suchw said:

For the first time im in a happy place with p3d and VR, whilst im excited about new ms sim wont bother me at all is its another flight as im already happy,ill install it but will be a long time before i would cut over fully to the new sim, i have so much addons and hardware for p3d

I was wondering about trying out VR.  Any comments on VR in terms of hardware (I have an i7700k and 1080ti 11g not sure if that's good enough for VR.  Any suggestions on a head set to get if I were to flip?

3 minutes ago, hjsmuc said:

Isn't that an old platform as well? Today, after a long time I fired up Aerofly FS2 and (yes no weather engine, no AI traffic exists for it) the way it runs is just different. This product is far from being perfect but it seems to be the only one using a truly new engine. Prepar3D is FSX, X-Plane even with Vulkan is just X-Plane and MSFS, well ....

XP 11 is quite old but not 2006 old like the base code of P3D essentially is.  I find that with a few global enhancements (Mister X airport enhancements which gives you free PBR HD runway and taxiways, MisterX global for region based autogen, Xvision, and ortho imagery for regions you fly to the most), the experience cannot be beat.  XP for me has simply been more fluid as well from a performance perspective, free from the stutters I've always had with P3D.  P3D dominates in payware aircraft for sure though

Mark Javornik

7 minutes ago, ywg256 said:

I was wondering about trying out VR.  Any comments on VR in terms of hardware (I have an i7700k and 1080ti 11g not sure if that's good enough for VR.  Any suggestions on a head set to get if I were to flip?

It will work well.  I've been using vr exclusively with the rig in my signature for 3 years and it's a good experience with v4.5 at least.   The only time I am gpu limited is with ssaa and extreme resolution, so I keep the res and use msaa.  My CPU still strongly limits me in terms of autogen, but that's with or without VR.  

Edited by Pilot53

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero